Individual Names for Duffy

Sorry if this thread seems stupid, it's just something I've been thinking about ever since I learned about Duffy and I haven't seen anyone else mention it! Does anyone's Duffy have a different name? I have two Duffys, and after much thought, I decided to give them their own names, with Duffy as their last name. My Japanese Duffy is named Julian Duffy and my American Duffy is named Phinnaeus Duffy. I like that they have their own names to distinguish them from other Duffys. They still ARE Duffy of course, it just marks them as individuals I guess. I don't feel that I'm taking away from their Duffyness at all by giving them first names. Maybe this seems like second nature to me because there's a kind of doll called a Hitty doll that has been around for quite a while that I'm a fan of (interesting history if you want to look it up), and they all have their own names: Hitty Rose, Hitty Joanne, whatever the individual owner wants to call them. They are all still Hitty though and go by both names.

So has anyone else given Duffy an additional name? I hope this doesn't seem like Duffy blasphemy!

Re: Individual Names for Duffy

I think I've seen a topic like this appear before, so don't worry you're not alone.^^ My Duffy used to have his own name, but the aggressive global rollout has assimilated and homogenized. I kinda just think of him as "Duffy" now. I need to find a project to get me back to "every Duffy is different, and every Duffy is Duffy." But lately Time is my evil destroyer!

DuffyDaisuki, that's a great way of phrasing it- every Duffy is different, but every Duffy is Duffy. You phrased that so much more succinctly than I did, thank you!

• I love that tiny bear!

I have the Hitty book and have been meaning to read it!

My 12" Duffy and Smiling Shellie May are just "Duffy" and "Shellie May." My magnet Duffies are "Tiny Duffy" and "Tiny Shellie May" because "tiny" is a cute word. My 8" Duffy, which I got in Arizona, on statehood day, is appropriately named "Dusty," because it is very dusty over here. Though sometimes I still call him Duffy and he does not mind.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

A friend of mine in Japan has different names for her Duffys and Shelliie Mays.

Her Duffys are named Duffay, Duppy and Joy. Her Shellie Mays are named May May, Mary and Marie. She also named her little smiling Spring Voyage bears, but I forgot what she named them.

As for me, I call Duffy "Duffy" but sometimes I call him "Duffles". And Shellie May I usually just call "Shellie".

My original idea was to name him Charlie and use Duffy as his middle name with my last name as his last name, but it did not stick. So I reversed them, Duffy as his first name and Charlie as his middle name. His nicknames are "Duff" and "Duffy Doodle" (as in like Yankee Doodle). When I get my Shellie May, her nickname will be "Ellie". Duffy keeps asking me "when will Ellie come home to us?".

We have Duffy, Bear Bear and Mr. Bear. For girls we have May, Spring and Duffy May. In the smaller size we have May May and the still unnamed bear.

Good to know my Duffys are not the only ones with their own names! Mmommie, I love the name Duffy May for your girl bear

My Duffys all have their own names; my first Duffy (I got him at DCA) is named Duff-Duff is sometimes called Duff and he travels with me everywhere and probably the most out of all of my duffs. My second Duffy is from Paris and his name is Philip and I just noticed he doesn't really have a nick name. My third Duffy (that DuffyD hand picked for me) is named Sebastian. I have a big duffy (from the disney store) his name is Buddy, and sometimes gets called BD for short. Last but not least is my small Duffy his name is Finley, named from the OZ movie and he was a graduation gift for me

Each of my bears from different countries are named from something main in that park (Paris) - Sleeping Beauty - and Prince Philip, and Japan (Disney Sea) - The Little Mermaid - Sebastian

My Shellie May (also hand picked by DuffyD) is called Shell-bear or seashell.

Cute names, Bebs! I like Seashell for Shellie May My Phinnaeus was named in part after Phinney Street in Seattle since that's where he is from and also just because I liked the name. I call him Phinney more than Phinnaeus.