Is Shelly May too valuable for a 3 year old to play with?

My 3 year old nephew loves his Duffy (I got it for him a when he was just a baby). I let him play my Shellie May for the weekend and he was in heaven. When it was time for Shellie to come home with me, he was devastated that Duffy and Shellie would have to be apart. He literally cried for hours. I’d love to get him his own Shellie, but she can get so pricey especially since he is hard on toys and might wreck her in fairly short order. What do you guys think? Should I buy my nephew a Shellie May or just routinely lend him mine?

• I love that tiny bear!

Re: Is Shelly May too valuable for a 3 year old to play with?

What kind of shape is the Duffy you gave him in? I have a hard time imagining a 3-year-old actually destroying a plush, and my understanding is that Duffy and Shellie May are very well-made and should hold up to play.

If you actually think he'll wreck her, then not only would I not give him a Shellie May, but I'd be terrified to let him play with my own precious bears! In fact, I'd kind of rather spend the money to give away a Shellie May as a "sacrifice," than risk my own bears.

But if you think Shellie May would probably be OK, that would be a very thoughtful gift, if you don't mind spending the money for something that (sad to say) very well may be outgrown at some point.

I would make sure his parent/s are OK with her and also know that Shellie May is special and valuable. It would be terrible if a few years down the road Shellie May ended up going for cheap at a garage sale!

(Oh, and is there any possibility of a little sister at any point? If so, then what will you buy HER when she comes along? I don't actually care at all who has what bear--girl with Duffy, boy with Shellie May, whatever--but I know that if my brother and I had been Japanese children growing up about now, there's an excellent chance that I would've had a Shellie May and my brother would have had a Duffy.)

Just my thoughts; you know the situation way better than any of us do. Good luck deciding!

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    ...But if you think Shellie May would probably be OK, that would be a very thoughtful gift, if you don't mind spending the money for something that (sad to say) very well may be outgrown at some point.

I would make sure his parent/s are OK with her and also know that Shellie May is special and valuable. It would be terrible if a few years down the road Shellie May ended up going for cheap at a garage sale!
    Another thing to think about... My 5-year-old son is now playing with my bear from childhood. My mother put him away in a nice closet space after having him dry cleaned. If your nephew really loves his Duffy, I say Shellie May would make an excellent 4th birthday present or Christmas present. I plan to put The Boy's favorite monkey in loving storage when he outgrows the need for its comfort each night. Perhaps in the future he will have the joy of watching his child play with it.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Great advice! I have to admit, I was a little nervous letting him play with my Shellie. Not that he was hard on her, but he dropped her a lot and stuff. I'll start saving now so I can give him an extra special birthday gift in November.

• Adventures with Duffy

Duffy and Shellie were made to be loved and played with. If he wants yours, then maybe order another on for you?

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011