Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Duffy Halloween 2013

Yeah, I got mine yesterday too, after the post office attempted to deliver Saturday and nobody was home. I love everything so much, and I'll try to keep this from rambling on and on.

First, like you guys have said, the stickers on the outside of the box were a really nice touch that hinted at what was inside. Those are some strong stickers too! I turned the box over and over to look at all the stickers. The "treat" bag with candies in it was so neat, and...I'll admit I ate them as I opened things. I was hungry, I couldn't help it, and it also made it that much more fun to open the Duffy things. I also have to say how much I love Japanese candies & sweets.

The Duffy Halloween items exceeded my expectations. I was just admiring all of the details on everything. Something that hit me when looking at all of it was how much detail there always is. The fact that OLC has created such a cohesive vision for Duffy there is amazing. They have even made the Cape Cod buildings characters in their own way. In every seasonal celebration, the buildings are represented in some way, and decorated for that holiday. The fact that these are incorporated into the Duffy artwork just ties it that much more strongly to Cape Cod. Nothing is in isolation, even when you only see Duffy and ShellieMay's floating heads on merchandise, you know there is a tie to the land itself, because it's in the larger artwork, and the icons like the mushrooms, pumpkins, and fall leaves. I went back and looked at other past merchandise and the Cape Cod buildings are there in almost everything, and they have different feels and looks for every season, just like the bears.

Disney has done this sometimes with their own merchandise, but not yet with Duffy in the US. Duffy here is isolated from his surroundings and there is very little "world building" going on. He's not really in a specific place. I think that's part of the magic of how OLC treats Duffy...he's grounded in a place, and that place has become a character itself along with Duffy. It's an entire world, not just a bear.

Anyway, this year's Halloween release is just so much better in person. The plates, the costumes, the treats. I just love it all, and it's another layer in my Duffy collection that adds more to Duffy and ShellieMay's charm.

Thank you DuffyD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    ...I have already cut out the cute ghost and pumpkins from the shopping bags to decorate our cabin door (what an awesome bonus)!!! Disney Magic here we come!! This will be Duffy's 4th cruise and Shelley's 1st.
    Right where they belong, and what a GREAT idea for the shopping bags! Keep us posted on any new DCL exclusives related to Duffy, preferably in time to beg you!^^

Quote Originally Posted by setavulos View Post
    I just checked my tracking, and it looks like my PO didn't even want to bother trying to deliver it. It's in retention. I'll call and then go pick it up myself. Gives me a good excuse to figure out where it is!
    I'm officially worried and stressed out about this now. PLEASE keep me posted.

Quote Originally Posted by disneymademoiselle View Post
    ...As great as my new items are, the best part was the puffy Mickey Mouse ghost stickers on the outside of the box and the yummy Halloween candies. Duffy D included those things, not because he had to, but because he wanted to. The part of Duffy Post that makes it so special is Duffy D. Plain and simple.

Thank you, thank you!
    And that's why the Post still exists. Thank you SO MUCH! That just means the world to me; Halloween was actually really hard this year (and I am losing my mind worrying about the Christmas update - I actually took the first week off of work to make sure I get there early and have enough time to pack AND rest!^^), and I kept finding more stuff late. Those orange bags weren't actually planned. I just came across them, and then I needed bigger treats to fill up the larger bag! Halloween senbei (rice cakes) were just so unusual that I couldn't resist. Some got black sugar and some got sugar frosted. I found the Disney stickers and the masking tape late in the game, too, and tried to make sure every WishLister got at least two Disney stickers on their Care Package, in addition to all the others. I really wanna decorate the boxes every time, but it actually takes hours to do it. It doesn't look like it, but it does. It took two hours for the postmen to collect the boxes last time because there was a mistake...theirs, not mine. And money, not address...don't worry. They had charged me for six extra boxes, so they had to do the whole thing again, and it was very windy and crazy that night... Point being, it makes me SO HAPPY to know that you understand how much, and what exactly, the Duffy Post means to me. You really touched my heart. Thank you so, so much.^^

PS: I was so happy to hear, too, that some folks saved and reused the box stickers and masking tape. I totally intended that!

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...The "treat" bag with candies in it was so neat...
    "...neat," huh? PSA: Anyone not already listening to Night Vale really should get started. You've already got a LOT of catching up to do! You may now return to wondering if oxygen is a myth. I mean, they say we really need it, but have you ever even seen oxygen? Like mountains, it's very difficult to prove and I'm sticking to "I'll believe it when I see it."

I'll admit I ate them as I opened things. I was hungry, I couldn't help it, and it also made it that much more fun to open the Duffy things. I also have to say how much I love Japanese candies & sweets.
    My aim is to give you fuel, y'know, for all those unboxing photos that nobody takes anymore...: Seriously, I always imagine the unboxing moment as a special time you've set aside, and you have your sweets and you have your stuff, and all's right with the world. ....Hmm. Maybe that is more satisfying and pleasant when you don't feel pressured to photograph every step of the way, and then you have to think about uploading and posting, too, writing captions for every single image. Yeah, that sorta defeats the whole purpose of that moment. Guilt trip rescinded!^^

The Duffy Halloween items exceeded my expectations. I was just admiring all of the details on everything. Something that hit me when looking at all of it was how much detail there always is. The fact that OLC has created such a cohesive vision for Duffy there is amazing. They have even made the Cape Cod buildings characters in their own way. In every seasonal celebration, the buildings are represented in some way, and decorated for that holiday. The fact that these are incorporated into the Duffy artwork just ties it that much more strongly to Cape Cod. Nothing is in isolation, even when you only see Duffy and ShellieMay's floating heads on merchandise, you know there is a tie to the land itself, because it's in the larger artwork, and the icons like the mushrooms, pumpkins, and fall leaves. I went back and looked at other past merchandise and the Cape Cod buildings are there in almost everything, and they have different feels and looks for every season, just like the bears.
    A beautiful observation, gorgeously captured in eloquent prose. Thank you for this. I have come to love Cape Cod as much as, synonymous with, the bears themselves. The absence of Cape Cod is, for me, as much "not Duffy" as the absence of OLC quality standards. It is an essential part of the perfect whole.

Does anyone know how to upload a music stream where it absolutely canNOT be downloaded? Bonuses if I can have subtitled lyrics or post lyrics as text that can be read easily along with the music!^^

Disney has done this sometimes with their own merchandise, but not yet with Duffy in the US. Duffy here is isolated from his surroundings and there is very little "world building" going on. He's not really in a specific place. I think that's part of the magic of how OLC treats Duffy...he's grounded in a place, and that place has become a character itself along with Duffy. It's an entire world, not just a bear.
    This. And without a film, nor any kind of "sit in front of it and that's what it's about" media. Just the lived park experience and the quality of the merchandise, in both design and feel. People who say Duffy has no character or backstory have never seen Tokyo merchandise or been part of the DisneySEA experience of Duffy. Those who think Duffy is all fun and games or it's okay if all of the US releases are either cheap (some bordering on ethnic insensitivity) or all Disney character costumes have never really understood Duffy's message. It's an entire world, where all that matters is a) walking around your community, bringing love; b) sailing out as far as you can dream, bringing love; c) cozying up at home, bringing love. That's it. That's what Duffy does. That's what Duffy is. And the Team is so consistent with this, that it's impossible not to love them back. Thank you, OLC Duffy Team. I really hope you know there are people out there who think your work is so much more than "cute," "profitable," or "opportunistic." You move us and light up our lives like a lighthouse or a warm brick fireplace. And we will love you even more as soon as you UPDATE THE SITE FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!

Anyway, this year's Halloween release is just so much better in person. The plates, the costumes, the treats. I just love it all, and it's another layer in my Duffy collection that adds more to Duffy and ShellieMay's charm.
    This year's Halloween has been a thrill for me. One, because it was more like a "sequel" to me somehow than any of the previous ShellieMay "catch-up" costumes, and secondly because it allowed all the new WishListers and Duffeteers who missed the crazy heyday of 2008~9 during the Duffy explosion of the 25th Anniversary, to directly connect to that energy. Last Christmas was my personal favorite, and Spring Voyage has brought with it an energy and scale all its own, but there was something special about that moment, when everything always sold out and people had to stand in lines for hours and hours. I'm not saying I want to go back, don't get me wrong. I that OLC has learned to manage the crowds and keep things moving more smoothly (D23 aside, but that was really Walt Disney Japan and not OLC anyway). But there was an incredible amount of nostalgia to this release. It was the last of the costumes Shellie really "needed," though I really do hope that we see a raincoat set (more mature and stylish, please?) and a PJ set within the next year.

And at this point, I'd like Halloween and Christmas books that somehow incorporate both the "Halloween Party" Bat/Cats AND "Duffy's Halloween Dream," as well as a Christmas storybook featuring both "Home Sweet Christmas" AND "Cape Cod Carolers." And a Spring Voyage storybook, illustrated. The new photo book is too close to what a Spring Voyage photo book would be like. I want an illustrated adventure, preferably pop-up. Spring Voyage deserves it. That event is gonna be legendary, I think.

One of the things I noticed at D23 was that there used to be TDS events that had absolutely NO Mouses, Ducks, 'Munks, or Dogs anywhere in the advertising or concept. I know there was an Aladdin event and and Ariel event, and I think there was even another Genie event, too. Even at TDL, there was an Alice event once upon a time that was ALL about Alice. And then it was gone, and has yet to be repeated, though Easter Wonderland was similar. Spring Voyage will be an historic moment in both Duffy's and Disney's legacy, and I really, really hope they honor it with a storybook to preserve the atmosphere and the energy of the event. It really does deserve it.

Just like Duffeteers deserve a Christmas update! Come on!

You guys are all welcome, and I cannot thank you enough. Not only for trading my collection for yours, but also for being interested enough to keep being here, keep posting, keep loving Duffy and the energy he represents, the love he brings to everything, the hope he brings that Disney find its soul again...or more accurately, let more of the FANS who already work for the company have a bigger say in the direction things take...and kick out the folks who look at me with Duffy and think "weirdo" (as happened once at D23), no matter how much money they know how to make. The version of Duffy that is unabashedly, ridiculously, sentimental and child-LIKE also happens to make BOATLOADS of money. The version of Duffy that is unashamedly, offensively, hackneyed and childISH does not. Duffy requires heartfulness. You can't fake Duffy. OLC knows it, and Disney will, too. My primary takeaway from D23 was that Disney is an incredible, wonderful company, filled with people who "get it," who LOVE it, even when it's not their particular cup of tea. Disney is made of history, legacy, dreams and magic. Duffy settles for nothing less, and neither do Duffeteers. I love us for that. I you guys.

• when you wish...

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post

And that's why the Post still exists. Thank you SO MUCH! That just means the world to me; Halloween was actually really hard this year (and I am losing my mind worrying about the Christmas update - I actually took the first week off of work to make sure I get there early and have enough time to pack AND rest!^^), and I kept finding more stuff late. Those orange bags weren't actually planned. I just came across them, and then I needed bigger treats to fill up the larger bag! Halloween senbei (rice cakes) were just so unusual that I couldn't resist. Some got black sugar and some got sugar frosted. I found the Disney stickers and the masking tape late in the game, too, and tried to make sure every WishLister got at least two Disney stickers on their Care Package, in addition to all the others. I really wanna decorate the boxes every time, but it actually takes hours to do it. It doesn't look like it, but it does. It took two hours for the postmen to collect the boxes last time because there was a mistake...theirs, not mine. And money, not address...don't worry. They had charged me for six extra boxes, so they had to do the whole thing again, and it was very windy and crazy that night... Point being, it makes me SO HAPPY to know that you understand how much, and what exactly, the Duffy Post means to me. You really touched my heart. Thank you so, so much.^^

PS: I was so happy to hear, too, that some folks saved and reused the box stickers and masking tape. I totally intended that!
    Duffy D, you'll be happy to know my Mickey Mouse ghost & spider stickers are on the border of my computer desktop at work. I smile and think of my love for Disney, Duffy and ShellieMay every time I look at them! They're just too cute.

Thanks again for all you do!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

Just a quick note to say i picked up my package this evening!

We're waiting til the weekend to un-box as the bears want to make it a special event! but just love the cute stickers!

Sorry Duffy D for not letting you know about the attempted delivery, but work has been manic and we've been super busy in the eveings too. Nearly finished the last bit of decorating so I hope to have more time in the evenings now!

I will certainly post pics of the 'opening' - it truely is an event! Both myself, the bears and my husband enjoy it

Photos from Flickr

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    It's an entire world, where all that matters is a) walking around your community, bringing love; b) sailing out as far as you can dream, bringing love; c) cozying up at home, bringing love. That's it. That's what Duffy does. That's what Duffy is. And the Team is so consistent with this, that it's impossible not to love them back. Thank you, OLC Duffy Team. I really hope you know there are people out there who think your work is so much more than "cute," "profitable," or "opportunistic." You move us and light up our lives like a lighthouse or a warm brick fireplace. And we will love you even more as soon as you UPDATE THE SITE FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yes, DuffyD, I do open my boxes like that! I need dedicated time to sit down and open it all and absorb the details. The candy and sweets sure do fuel and enhance the experience. So, taking pictures would kind of make it harder to be in the moment, which seems weird, but for me anyway, I get distracted trying to document the whole thing. I want the magic.

So, I did take a couple pictures of my bears, but it's just a teeny taste. I know it's my sofa again, but that's where the bears love hanging out, so it's easy to catch them there.

Here's a witch and her three familiars.

Christopher wanted to get in on the fun, and Duffy sure did have something for him to wear. What a cute little pumpkin sailor! He's proud of himself for sure, and loves that Duffy shares his clothes with him.

Duffy doesn't just give Christopher his hand-me-downs either. This brand new costume fits him just fine and Duffy was happy to share. Oh, and this is Christopher's favorite spot to "hang" out.

And...I figured I would try something with the wood stand ShellieMay. I've thought that I would create felt bows for her to fit over her painted one. For each season, I would make one. I haven't had the time yet, but I decided to put the skeleton bow on her, and it's not too bad...at least it gives me an idea of what homemade bows would look like on her.

• I Heart ShellieMay!

Wow, gurgi, you have quite the OLC Halloween collection! All my favorites, in multiples too. I love the skeleton bow on ShellieMay.

gurgi ; Those are some absolutely adorable photos! Thanks for sharing them all with us. =D It feels like I am celebrating Halloween with your 5 bears. ^.^

Great Picture's Gurgi!!!!

• when you wish...

I love the pictures, Gurgi! Yours are always so fun to look at. I have the Greetings costume for ShellieMay too and put it on her last night.

What are you thoughts on her being bottomless? I feel like she needs a skirt, but none of the ones I have look cute. There's a black tutu at BAB I might take a look at.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here." --Art Linkletter, July 17, 2005

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The purple & orange sailor costume looks AMAZING on Christopher!

Wow, Gurgi! Holy Halloween Happiness and purple paradise! Christopher looks great, and it's fun to see Duffys side by side with the Cat and Bat. What's that plaque on the wall? It's intriguing.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks guys! I know it's not much, but I wanted to share at least a little something. Christopher really does look great in orange and purple. The plaque is a replica of the one you see as you pass under the Disneyland railroad onto Main Street. "Here you leave the world of today and enter the worlds of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy." Or however the wording goes, I forget.

I finally got ahold of my package today! Turns out it was just hiding in the wrong bin and they ended up finding it when I brought in my package slip. I was so excited that it was hard to wait until i got home to open the package! I wanted to open it right then and there at the bus stop!

Inside I found multiple bags that all had some exciting treats inside!

The first treat was my new US Navy Duffy badge! He looks ready for adventure in his uniform.

Second up was a very very spooky Duffy badge....

And last but not least was my first Shellie May, who was also dressed up for Halloween! I loved that as I pulled her out of the package it looked like she was waving hello to me

Here's both Halloween Duffy and Shellie May with their hoods down, showing off their cute heads:

DuffyD also included a bunch of treats, and (what is probably was the most exciting part) some maps! I'm really excited to add these to my map collection. These goodies were unexpected and really quite appreciated while I was sitting at a mandatory training for work today

The thing I think I like the most is that underneath their clothes they are still perfect and complete. Like you can feel the Mickey Marks on their backside and everything! I feel like these three are great additions to my Duffy family, and I want to thank DuffyD for being so awesome about everything! Also, I totally need to find more of those pumpkin pudding kit kats...

• Adventures with Duffy

OMG gurgi, your photos are so cute. And Christopher, he is the ultimate in cuteness in his purple and orange shirt. He so pawfectly purple and so so cute.

setavulos, your duffys are very cute. I love Duffy as a Bat.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast