Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Duffy being phased out of Disney Stores?

I understand the "elitist" feeling some of you have. Let me try to clarify what I mean by being happy he's possibly leaving the Disney stores.

In Japan, Duffy and ShellieMay being park exclusive makes a lot more sense. It's a big country, but not so large that a person couldn't make the trip to the parks at some point in their lives. Money is always going to be an issue, sure, but Duffy is theoretically more accessible there. The US is much, much bigger. We have two Disney resorts on either end of the country, but many people either can't travel to them, or can't afford trips there. That's where the Disney Stores came in for a while.

In the old days, going to the local Disney Store was like visiting the parks on a very small scale. You could get a taste of it, and sometimes buy park merchandise. They had more adult items, and it felt like a place the whole family could go. You could even buy park tickets there if you wanted. Duffy would have fit perfectly in a place like that.

However, now the Disney Stores are basically big toy stores with kid's clothing too. Very, very little for adults to buy. Not really any ties to the parks anymore. They don't even sell their own movies there. So, putting Duffy in a store like that made less sense. They treated him like just another plush on the wall. No ties to the parks, No explanation really. So, how were people supposed to form any kind of connection with him?

That's why I think it's good that Duffy leave the stores. Disney never made the effort to even tie him back to the parks, so that those people who couldn't visit, would get to live vicariously through Duffy and his adventures. They needed to have that sense of place with Duffy, and invest him with that backstory and spirit.

Personally, I've never been to Tokyo Disney Resort, but through Duffy and the sense of placemaking OLC has provided with the Cape Cod setting, I feel like I have some part of that at home.

Disney is very averse to spending a lot on merchandise, and putting themselves at risk anymore. It's always played safely and cheaply. They really should have done something more thorough, like a test concept for a Build-a-Duffy section within the stores, with a park connection with a story, and well-designed and imagineered sets and experiences. If it did well enough, they could have even have several stand-alone Duffy stores around the country. But, instead, they just threw Duffy on shelves in existing displays and expected people to buy without question.

So, my feeling is not that Duffy should be some kind of "elitist" thing only few people can get, but Duffy should have been invested in from the start and sold at the stores only if there was connection to the parks, and a real quality to the presentation. They didn't, so I would rather he disappear than make people hate Duffy because Disney doesn't know what to do with him.

Thank you for clarifying, Gurgi, I do think it would have been a lot better for people to get to know Duffy before introducing him. I dont want people to hate duffy just because they see the poor bear on the shelves at TDS I suppose the situation is more because disney just dropped the ball from the beginning, to the point it is better for Duffy to return back to the parks. Still, I did enjoy seeing him for the brief time he was here and hopefully one day I can get to the disney parks for the full duffy experience

I agree, I don't think the Disney Store is the right place for Duffy! He belongs in the parks where people can learn his story!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by AA1990 View Post
    I understand wanting to keep duffys magic at the parks( and he was handled badly here), but I personally liked having him in reach. ...So if Duffy is limited to parks only then people like me who love duffy and love disney will never get to see him? It just seems kind of elitist to me that everyone is saying only people who can afford expensive disney vacations deserve to have duffy in thier lives :/
    It was never my intention to be elitist. I would for Duffy to be available and affordable...if that experience could still be Duffy. However I don't think it could, at least not for a while, after some heavy investment. Japan could have little Sweet Duffy Cafes all over the country now, and it not feel "wrong," but I think even in Japan, Duffy would feel absolutely out of place and immediately cheapened at the Disney Store. He would wane soon, like a fad. Duffy is not a fad. Unfortunately, however, Disney has botched things up very, very badly in ways that will be pretty tough to untangle. I think the global Disney rollout of cheaper materials, lazier designs, and even lazier (nonexistent) storytelling demonstrates the importance of 1) tying Duffy directly and very deeply to the park experience and an appropriate sense of place and 2) making Duffy merchandise of a quality that deserves a premium price, products that clearly, evidently, and necessarily cost more to produce. Perhaps that's why these Bat and Cat costumes sold out so quickly this year, maybe the margins were very small. These costumes feel immediately exPENsive, and that luxurious quality standard is what makes Tokyo Duffy "one SPECIAL teddy bear" rather than just another Disney Bear with a new name and logo. To know this standard and choose to shop cheap at BAB rather than spending the money to support the artists behind Duffy is one thing; you still know what Duffy really is all about and just choose not to invest that much. To have a Duffy brand being established where the quality that defines the character is simply never present, never known, never experienced is an entirely different ugly beast. For a character who literally IS his merchandise, this is unforgivable, and I'm glad it failed. I'm glad people weren't sucked into it like the sheep some execs at Disney seem to think Disney fans are. I hope there is a new direction coming based on a purer vision.

I would never advocate Duffy being priced high in order to market him to rich people. I am NOT rich people now, and have known very real poverty in my life. I would strongly advocate, though, pricing Duffy at the level required to produce Cape Cod Duffy standards. To my mind, everything else is not Duffy. Even BAB, which I think is a fantastic company and great product, I generally regret buying soon after purchase. OLC always seems to eventually release something similar to the BAB things I purchase, and when I actually go to dress Duffy for photos or displays, I always prefer authentic Tokyo/Cape Cod merchandise. Not for some kind of idiotic sense of elite "status," because it's actually better ー significantly, immediately, and undeniably. And it is, in my mind, this "betterness" that separates Duffy from a million other teddy bears and validates both his existence and importance. If he's a cheap cute thing that can be bought easily everywhere like so many other cheap cute things, he's hardly essential and at best will be a flickering fad. THIS comes to mind.^^

I actually deplore the idea that masses of new Duffy fans would have only ever had the experience of seeing and buying low-quality Duffy merchandise in the hackneyed environment of a Disney Store that, as Gurgi spoke of above, has forgotten its role as "outpost to the park experience," rather than just a place to buy more Disney stuff. As if there's a shortage of Disney stuff in the world or places to buy it. Another way to think of the Disney Store is as the embodiment of the brand itself. No adult collector merchandising and not even stocking their own DVDs might be an accurate picture of the brand in some ways, but that is not the Disney represented by the marks on Duffy's body. Until that changes, he doesn't belong there. I'm not saying never, but definitely not now. Some of my earliest posts on MiceChat are about my heartfelt hopes that a global Duffy release would be a renaissance of parks and animation and sincere heartful investment at Disney, that it would be palpable and undeniable. Sadly, so far, it is really going the other way and they are sucking out the soul of Duffy. The fact that Duffy fans would even want a bear so separated from the park experience, in cheap costumes that celebrate other parts of the brand rather than the owner's own magical moments and memories genuinely makes me sad. I wish that US Duffy fans did not want this. I wish that US Duffy fans saw Duffy as an opportunity for Disney to change and grow and recommit, not just an opportunity to give Disney more money.

This seems as good a place as any to mention something AWESOME that I found out recently:

THEY ARE NO LONGER SELLING DUFFY AT THE SLEEPY WHALE IN MERMAID LAGOON!!!

They stopped in the summer, and the Cast Member who talked to me about it, when she saw how happy I was and I said he never belonged there, she smiled so BIG and said, "Yeah. Bad energy." She totally got it!!! And both of us just beamed at each other, so happy that the other understood. It was fluffing AMAZING!

Surely they were doing gangbusters at that location, too, but they chose to give it up because it has no place in the Duffy narrative. I suppose it's also possible - and would be SUPER cool! - that the Japanese fans are actually so discerning that they never ever shopped for Duffy at The Sleepy Whale and only patronized the traditional Duffy shops of Aunt Peg's and McDuck's, or the new "exclusive European importer," Galleria Disney. It's also possible that every little kid who was ever gonna have Duffy already did by the time they got all the way to Mermaid Lagoon. Both these things are possible, but I doubt it. I think OLC just decided to control the story.

Also, even more of a tangent. Sorry, guys, this is rambly even for me. I'm just so tired/busy lately I end up writing at (like now) moments when I've just woken up at 4:30 in the morning and will still go back to sleep. Anyway, my "also..." I've noticed lately a LOT of little boys who either have both Duffy and ShellieMay or who actually seem to just have ShellieMay. I this! What's it gonna be like when this generation of kids who grow up without all the gender-scripting and with absolutely no room for doubt or debate that Duffy and ShellieMay are bonafide superstars and instant classic Disney characters? I can't wait to see where Duffy is in twenty years!^^

Let me get back to the significance of crafting a sense of place in the marketing and delivery experience, especially important to Duffy, as he only exists as a product. Many critics see this as an essential problem for Duffy, but they misunderstand the way Duffy works. When done right, the product comes alive and enlivens the moments spent with it, precisely because it is not a movie or cartooon character but a part of the owner's real, lived experience. Duffy gets to be more "real" and in a different way, exactly because he is not limited by any kind of canon. This is revolutionary for Disney, and with the way things have been handled so far, perhaps we should expect a Duffy animated series or film anytime now to destroy its originality and potential.

Without Cape Cod, there is no sense of place, nowhere to celebrate the seasons, no charming atmosphere and ambience to charge the character (and our homes^^) with a million intangible but present qualities that add depth and detail. Cape Cod is not an ignorable add-on to Duffy. It's an essential part of the recipe. Duffy without Cape Cod is a Disney Bear, and while that might be fun and photogenic, it isn't Duffy. A Duffy you can get anywhere, without having to either go to the parks or search around the Internet and really learn history and backstory and immerse yourself in an intricately crafted Imagineering-quality experience is NOT Duffy. That's just a Disney teddy bear. Disney teddy bears can be "fun," but Duffy is a lot more than that, and a lot of very talented people, including American Imagineers with the Village Greeting Place (plus Duffy's retconned and usurped Cape Cod theming^^) have worked incredibly hard and well to make him so. I want Duffy to be everywhere, with everyone. But I want the experience to BE Duffy. The Disney Store was not doing that, and in its current state, could not do it.

Omitting Cape Cod without replacing it with an equally compelling sense of place was a fundamental and monumentally huge failure out of the gate. This could be compensated for by having deep park integration and building fresh, new, important Duffy places; building on and expanding the Tokyo story. It would've been better, in my view, to have a brand-new different storybook that does as good a job at being compelling, heartful, and creating a sense of place in each of the US parks. Instead they just dumbed down and butchered the Tokyo story. And recently I have FINALLY had a long conversation with a Japanese hardcore Duffy fan who loves Duffy because he's cute, but is also critical about his representation. She talked to me about the US release and explained that after a visit to Disneyland in Anaheim, seeing the US version of the story left her deeply disappointed. She said this before I commented. She talked about how the message and spirit of it were missing, and she was sad that most American fans probably would never even know the difference. <- THIS is why I'm glad he's out of the Disney Stores.

To wrap up, the problem with cheap, convenient Duffy is that it is not Duffy, at least not to me or to most serious Japanese Duffy fans, I imagine. Part of what makes Duffy matter, to me, is that I never had any intention whatsoever of developing this hobby and spending hundreds of dollars dressing a teddy bear. I never imagined that something would come along that could convince me that appreciating design integrity in a teddy bear could be as rational and fascinating to me as appreciating the aesthetics of a building, interiors, fashion or culinary masterpieces. I was not looking for Duffy. The designs and quality are literally so compelling that even when I have moments of thinking I could be doing other things with my money and time, many of them honestly far more constructive; I actually cannot help wanting to support this character project and the people who bring it all together. Duffy is more "alive" to me than Mickey Mouse has ever been, even as a child.

Duffy not only fills me with a childlike joy, Cape Cod craftsmanship inspires me. I have a long way to go toward being the creator I aim to become and finishing all the Duffy projects I dream about, but I have massive lists and massive love. And literally buying into that quality and holding such astounding attention to detail in my hands is a significant part of making me want to put something of my own, of equal quality, out into the world. I am constantly amazed by what the Tokyo team does, and they would not have the freedom to do it, I reckon, if Duffy was conceived exclusively as a "kids' item" or a mass-market crowd-pleaser, rather than the collector's market the Japanese Duffy team appeals to. Ironically, the kids love him and the crowds go wild. US Duffy is in line with Build-A-Bear, though in my opinion, BAB does this better, and at a better value-for-money price point. Japanese Duffy is an utterly different concept altogether, on a different plane.

Cape Cod Duffy is designer collectible mohair bear quality, infused with the fun "Collect 'em all!" spirit of 80s toys and cereal premiums. The Cape Cod atmosphere is made of Saturday morning cartoons and animated holiday specials. Duffy is new and oh-so-fresh, but calls the heart back to a childhood that seems even brighter in memory.

It will be hard enough for Disney to pull all this off within the controlled, magical environment of the parks. Expecting it to happen in the modern incarnation of the US Disney Store was plain silly. Without the magic, without being especially irresistible, Duffy is a basic caramel-colored teddy bear with Mickey marks, not a big deal, not a must-have. Below are two articles about why Disney brought Duffy to the US in the first place. It's all about the 40%, and anything less than that probably means Disney is not interested in a) catering to "weird bear people" and b) being perceived as catering to weird bear people. These are just my assumptions, take lots of salt. Take special note of how Dara Trujillo calls the US launch a "coming home" in the first article, and Sheila Hamblen's barely veiled snarky contempt for Duffy fans in the Times piece.* I have said it so many times, but it's so true. You cannot sell something you don't genuinely believe in to intelligent people. This is especially true when the thing you are selling is only valuable when the person who buys it chooses to invest it with meaning. Disney cannot simultaneously see the people who would be willing to purchase Duffy as mindless, stupid cattle and at the same time expect to be successful in separating them from their money. The few Disney fans, as the few people in the world, who actually are mindless, stupid zombies will bite and be satisfied with whatever Disney deigns give them. But those numbers will not be anything like 40%. That takes something else, but OLC proves, time and again, that it is absolutely possible.

Also of note is that even the representative from Walt Disney Attractions Japan is not Japanese; no one Japanese and nothing about Oriental Land is mentioned in any of the US Duffy launch articles. It is presented, consistently, as if OLC did not exist. This is convenient in two ways: 1) It allows WDC to take credit for OLC's domestic success with Duffy and 2) it also allows them to blame "cultural or market differences," rather than ineffective strategy and implementation based on disingenuous principles and a total failure to truly understand a) what they were selling or b) whom they were (or should be) marketing to. That's when I decided I hated the US release because it was taking credit for something it did not really create, and they blatantly mocked the whole idea of success at the same time they asked for people's money. The whole thing was such a flagrant tongue-in-cheek wink-wink cash grab as to be actually offensive to anyone with a heart:

*One of the things I love about Duffy fandom, and I just noticed this or at least "re-"noticed it, is that it is inherently defiant and rebelious. By taking hold of your teddy bear, you are unabashedly announcing to the world that you refuse to let go of a little shining piece of your heart that so many people would rather let shrivel and die or simply project onto their kids. You are refusing to stop dreaming, and that is AWESOME! ...I wish Disney REALLY saw it that way, cos it shows in their work that the Tokyo team actually gets this, and it shows in every level of every part of their presentation that WDC really finds it all simultaneously puzzling and opportunistic.

Canadian Business
    New York Times

Worth noting, these are all based on pre-Spring Voyage sales figures, so we have to wonder if post-SV, merchandise sales attributable to Duffy are even higher than 40%. Keep in mind that, as I understand it, this is 40% of sales from a revenue perspective, not quantity. And again, as I understand it, this is 40% or Resort merchandise sales. That's right; let that sink in. Even including merchandise sales from Tokyo Disneyland where Duffy is not sold, Duffy items accounted for an estimated (but likely over?) 40% of total merchandise revenue, even before Spring Voyage. Wow. You can talk about how "unique" the Japanese market is all day long, but numbers like that are not just Japanese "quirk." There are people doing incredible, unprecedented, spellcasting magical work to make this happen. They deserve our attention, or support, our applause. And they deserve not to have the character they have breathed to life cheapened and destroyed in the larger world, whether due to envy or ineptitude.

I find it perplexing in the Times article, that the author reports, "Analysts say Duffy now represents an estimated 40 percent of the resort's merchandise sales, second only to Mickey Mouse." How does that work, exactly? I totally believe that Duffy makes up 40%, but for Mickey's to be higher, merchandise for every character that is not Mickey or Duffy would have to be a maximum of 20%. That includes Donald, Minnie, Alice, Genie and Toy Story. That just doesn't seem right to me. I guess when they count Mickey, they're counting every single piece of merchandise that uses a Mickey mark or glove, which I don't think is really a fair comparison. The silhouette and glove items represent the Disney brand for many, many people, not just the character of Mickey Mouse. Me, for example, I see a Duffy face!^^

Personally, I wish even the online Disney Store distribution was either gone or built into what it could be, an online Cape Cod community. Cape Cod seasons are much more compelling when they either remind one of Cape Cod, or help one fantasize about being there. Either the real place, dreams of the real place, the park experience or dreams of the park experience - but some magical place we can escape to where the only thing to do is relax, breathe deep, let go and bring love. Duffy connects us to that place because that's where he lives. US Duffy has no home and so connects us to nothing in particular. If Duffy's gonna be available online, there ought to be an online Cape Cod Village Greeting Place. MiceChat is as close as we get. Duffy is whatever each person wants him to be, sure. Except that same things are Duffy and some things are not. And while Duffy can be whatever we want within reason, Duffy cannot and should not be simply "whatever."

I have more to say and would like to read and edit, but my eyelids weigh dice tons, so I'll come add to this later.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I totally sympathize, AA1990! I believe Duffy will continue to be available at the Disney Store online, which isn't as fun as picking one out on your own, but at least he's there. While I appreciate some people's opinion that such a thing makes him less exclusive, I figure that people will buy them from the parks and resell them on eBay at a markup anyway, so I'd just as soon Disney gets some money directly from fans who want to buy Duffy at home, instead of there being a middleman to raise prices for those fans.
    I agree STRONGLY with this. The way people do things on eBay makes me crazy, though it has gotten a lot less ridiculous in the past couple years. I don't think Disney has to stop selling Duffy online, but I'd prefer it be more of an immersive experience.

The only unique item I had interest in was the 8" Duffy, and it was fun to be able to pick one up in person on the way home from work one day. (Even if he were available in the parks--and he isn't--I only get to visit a Disney park 1-2 times a year.)

I do think it's a loss if those smaller bears are discontinued overall (you can buy outfits for them at Build a Bear!) but that's the only thing I'll personally miss...

It's too bad that all Disney did was put a display up with a few items (almost all of which could be purchased in the parks and/or online) and expected him to magically sell, I guess? If they would have made any effort to make him special there, things may have been different.
    I agree. The 8" is smart, especially with BAB's Smallfrys line. For the US, I really think Disney could benefit by doing more Duffy collaboration with BAB.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...In the old days, going to the local Disney Store was like visiting the parks on a very small scale. You could get a taste of it, and sometimes buy park merchandise. They had more adult items, and it felt like a place the whole family could go. You could even buy park tickets there if you wanted. Duffy would have fit perfectly in a place like that.
    Totally. And his presence, done right, could inspire that in Disney Stores. What if he had been the Disney Stores mascot?

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...Personally, I've never been to Tokyo Disney Resort, but through Duffy and the sense of placemaking OLC has provided with the Cape Cod setting, I feel like I have some part of that at home...

So, my feeling is not that Duffy should be some kind of "elitist" thing only few people can get, but Duffy should have been invested in from the start and sold at the stores only if there was connection to the parks, and a real quality to the presentation. They didn't, so I would rather he disappear than make people hate Duffy because Disney doesn't know what to do with him.
    Yes and YES.

Quote Originally Posted by AA1990 View Post
    Thank you for clarifying, Gurgi, I do think it would have been a lot better for people to get to know Duffy before introducing him. I dont want people to hate duffy just because they see the poor bear on the shelves at TDS I suppose the situation is more because disney just dropped the ball from the beginning, to the point it is better for Duffy to return back to the parks. Still, I did enjoy seeing him for the brief time he was here and hopefully one day I can get to the disney parks for the full duffy experience
    Here, when you say "TDS" I think you mean "The Disney Store?" Usually I think of TDS as "Tokyo DisneySEA," so I was thrown off at first.

If you want the full Duffy experience, you will have to come to TDS. You will not find it in America. No matter how much you look at photos, read, and yes, even collect, a Duffy fan who has never been to DisneySEA cannot comprehend how satisfying it is to be in Cape Cod at TDS, especially during Sweet Duffy or Spring Voyage. I can clearly imagine, from painful experiences at MiceChat, what it's like not to have a community or what it would feel like to finally be here for the first time. And I am telling you, if you really love Duffy and you want the most magical Disney park experience you're ever likely to have, make it to DisneySEA for Spring Voyage. I strongly suspect that next year will be the finale, and I kinda doubt there will be such a Duffy-heavy event for at least a few years.

Duffy has stretched and blown up to a supernova star. He is absolutely established here. There is no need to push harder, and doing so could actually have a backlash if OLC isn't careful. Seeing Duffy disappear from the shelves at The Sleepy Whale suggests that smart people with power are fully aware of this. I really wouldn't even be surprised if Duffy makes room for other merchandise in Galleria Disney and McDuck's following Spring Voyage 2014. There really is oversaturation now, and as a finale, I think Spring Voyage 2014 is likely to blow out all the stops and really go for it. This year was a definite escalation over last, but there is still plenty of room to grow.

I'm still hoping for a seven-port itinerary, unique merchandise in each shop (maybe with a stamp rally at each shop, too!...crowd control nightmare, though), a no-dialogue and instrumental edition of the soundtrack (PLEASE?), and another photo story site. Plus, I'd like a really high quality, collector-oriented traveler's notebook, with ticket stub stickers and a heavy wooden stamp with changeable rubber pads - think Midori. I'm also hopeful that the finale costumes will be truly different, though I do not expect anything but a color change.

Keep in mind that convincing you to come here for Spring Voyage is the same thing, for many of you, as saying not to WishList and help me get my own Spring Voyage stuff. That's how much I believe you should come. But I know how hard that is, too, realistically. Even if you can't come for Spring Voyage 2014, don't worry. Cape Cod will always be here, the Village Greeting Place will always be ready to welcome you, and this will always be Duffy's hometown.

...Although they took the sign down - again - this year for Halloween.

MiceChat just ate something. I'm not sure what. Maybe just these last two links. I forget how I introduced them. It's now 7:00, which means I've been writing for over two and a half hours. Crap. I think my point was just how cool it is to see people who are not Duffy fans, but who get Duffy, and how this is not possible in the US because of the sloppiness of Disney's strategy and implementation, not just cultural differences:

Tom Croom » Duffy Not as deeply insightful as the next one, but cute.

Tokyo Disney Resort Trip Report - Part 3 - Disney Tourist Blog Here's the Duffy part, though you really should check out this whole blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bricker
    One of the first things we learned in Tokyo Disney Resort is that adding Duffy to anything in Tokyo makes it better (and by better, I mean more popular). Sort of like bacon in the United States. That right there should tell you everything you need to know about our cultural differences: in the US, we add a fatty meat to things to improve them, and in Japan, they add a cute animal. Shows, meals, and even topiary displays were all substantially improved upon (made more popular) by Duffy. In an effort to woe this lucrative new audience, I think lulls in this trip report can similarly be improved upon by adding Duffy. For example, we got in line for a snack and waited for a bit…AND THEN WE SAW DUFFY!

Just kidding. That would mean adding an AND THEN WE SAW DUFFY line every other sentence. Not just because there are that many lulls in this report, but because that’s about how often we saw Duffy.

Regular readers of this blog will know I’m not exactly a Duffy fan. Actually, I can’t stand his presence in the United States parks. However, it’s a different experience in Tokyo. Duffy’s popularity is organic there, and Japanese guests truly are passionate about him. They love Duffy so much that there are actually limits on how much of his merchandise you can purchase. Can you imagine that in the US?! Because of his natural popularity there, I didn’t mind him at all there. Hating Duffy in Japan would be tantamount to hating Mickey in the United States. You’d be an iconoclast. I’m not putting Duffy in the same league as Mickey in terms of historical significance, but you get the idea. In Japan, Duffy IS a symbol of everything positive that people love about Disney.

This is really difficult to convey, and people who are only used to our Duffy might have a hard time accepting it. I took photos throughout the trip to try to convey this, and I’m a bit reluctant to post them because I don’t want people to misconstrue them as mocking. I’m going to try it, anyway.
    *Bold and underline above by DuffyDaisuki
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.

I went to my local Disney Store today. The only Duffy items that were marked down were the outfits (the sailor and pilot's outfit's) and the Vinylmation Duffy. All the plush was still full priced and it really irked me that the store mixed the regular price product with the sale merchandise. Worse the clerk thought that it was no big deal because the sale merch was clearly marked. Maybe, but as someone who has spent their life in retail, it's not a good idea to do that. Keep sale merchandise separate from regular priced merchandise. It's just good retailing!

• I love that tiny bear!

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    It would've been better, in my view, to have a brand-new different storybook that does as good a job at being compelling, heartful, and creating a sense of place in each of the US parks.
    That would be a DREAM! I love Disney California Adventure and Epcot so much. I might have bought those storybooks!

Maybe some of us fans need to get on writing and illustrating those stories. Hmm...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I went to the only other Disney Store in my area last night (boyfriend & I were at the mall for dinner at Red Robin and wandered around after we ate). They had some 17" and 12" Duffys on a random endcap display but they weren't marked down, everything else was gone (no costumes, no 24" Duffy). I did see a couple of the 8" Duffys in with the other small plushes but that was it.

• Felice Natale!

Maybe some of us fans need to get on writing and illustrating those stories. Hmm...
    I like the way you're thinking, Eeee-va!^^

Hello! A new user and a rookie Duffy fanatic here!

I was also surprised to see the lack of Duffy during the frequent visits I took to my local Disney Store during the Christmas season. Such a shame I was really thinking of buying one that time around...only it was too late.

I still have hope for Duffy, the story is adorable and Duffy is adorable. Watching the Disney Christmas Parade last week it was such a shame to see the host not even mention Duffy, my brother and I were bummed out. Let 2014 be the year for Duffy in the states... (and wishfully thinking Shellie May as well).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12