• Bringing the love

Question Why is my new Duffy "Meatier" then my Shellie May

Well, I finally received my Duffy in the mail; When I first held him I felt he was slightly bigger and heavier than the Shellie May I had gotten back at home.

Have any of you experienced this? I'm really scratching my head here. Is this all in my head?

The size difference is slight, but in this picture, you can see in this picture how Duffy just seems fuller in general than Shellie May, especially in his noggin.

Could it be a difference in the amount of stuffing? Manufacture? I bought Duffy here in the US and Shellie May came from Tokyo, but they were both made in Vietnam. Help me out here

Bringing the Love

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Why is my new Duffy "Meatier" then my Shellie May

The American Duffys have gone through changes since he was released at the US parks 3 years ago. At first he almost exactly like his Tokyo counterpart. Then in the second half of 2011, his fur type change (looks waffley in comparison) and quality was BAD. We're talking lopsided faces, overstuffed, much smaller ears... Finally at some point last year the quality started to improve little by little. The faces started getting cuter, the ears got bigger again, but he was severely under-stuffed and too floppy. Over this past year it's been about the same but the stuffing is gradually getting better.

Though the tags say both bears are made in Vietnam, I'm starting to think the US parks use a different manufacturer than Tokyo does. Plus the US parks are notorious for being on the "cheapskate" side, whereas Tokyo has a more "spare no expense" kind of attitude.

That's the best explanation I can give.

• I love that tiny bear!

Isn't Duffy normally slightly bigger than Shellie May, too? The official measurements show Duffy as a bit bigger than Shellie May, and I think on the website Duffy looks bigger than Shellie May.

グッズ | “Duffy” The Disney Bear | 東京ディズニーシー

There still might be some weirdness with the American version, true enough, but I understand a small difference is actually intentional and correct.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

That's the best explanation one could hope for.^^

I've handled the US Duffys very little, but I suspect their stuffing is different. It feels…"scratchier" inside to me, like the threads actually have texture. The Japanese material is unbelievably light and soft, to the point that you can literally squeeze the body and feel your fingers touch, and yet it still bounces right back to fluffiness.

To the Japanese, especially since they actually carry Duffy around a lot, the lighter weight is a virtue and the squishiness is adorable. But I can fully imagine Americans wanting him to be more cuddly and less snuggly, with more heft. It's also likely cheaper.

I am very particular about plush. I would rather pay more for a well made plush than an overpriced cheaply made one. This may be one of the reasons I haven't bought a Duffy bear other than some of the smaller ones.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

I can't speak to the current quality of the US bears, but Japanese Duffy and ShellieMay are very well made. Even after taking them apart and installing armatures, I've never had a foot "pop" or any issues whatsoever. They may be mass produced, but they are carefully crafted and significantly cheaper than most handmade bears.

I just got a new American Duffy for my birthday (he is named BB=Birthday bear) he is different than all the other Duffys/Shellie May is the house. He is bigger than other American Duffys. He is wider if that makes sense.
    Last edited by mmommie; 10-11-2013 at 08:41 AM.

• I Heart ShellieMay!

I would think a little difference would be intentional since Duffy is a boy!

• Bringing the love

@Boog1981: that actually makes sense! I thought of that too!

@mmommie: Thats adorable, I am going to keep him as my american boy and eventually get a Tokyo Duffy. hehe I want to build a collection anyways!

@DuffyDaisuki: I actually prefer the lighter bear because I plan to be carrying the pair around, but I love having him as a part of my collection, he's a little more rough and tough, so I'll be keeping him for snuggles.

@dazyhill: I'm particular as well, that's why i noticed the difference right away. But I still think both of them are well made bears, just in different ways.

@Eeee-va: I did some measurements of my own and there's only very slight differences; It doesnt bother me, as I don't mind having an american version. But I still plan to get a version from Tokyo Sea.

@aimster: Thank you for that explanation: very educated and thorough, that explains the differences I see in the bears.

Bringing the Love

My Duffy matches up pretty well to my Shellie May in size and "heft". But, he's also been "loved" longer than my Shellie May, so I don't know if that has something to do with his stuffing being squeezed!

I really want to put some sort of armature in my bears, but I am scared to death of opening them up! Do you have any pointers for that, DuffyD?
    Last edited by Naelyan; 10-11-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

• Munchings & Crunchings

I've always thought that the proportions for ShellieMay were supposed to be more "delicate" than Duffy's? My bears are slightly different from each other. Shellie's head is just a bit smaller than Duffy's, and so are her ears. Her tail too is not as big as his. She's a bit...thinner than he is? I just figured that was intentional, to differentiate the two bears (besides the fact that she's pink, and a girl).