Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb One WishLister's useful PayPal tips!^^

"…I've just transferred the money to you. Now, this was a larger transfer. My fee, with bank account linked was ¥52 versus a ¥715 fee using a credit card. Proof in point that linking the bank account does make a difference.

PayPal did that funny thing again. When I first went into it, the presentation was different and you would have paid the fee. I closed, went back in, it looked different and was able to do it properly. Just in case someone says they have a problem, you can possibly advise them."

Re: One WishLister's useful PayPal tips!^^

Since this thread is about paypal, I was supposed to use the "goods and services" option, right? It did charge you a fee, but it seems like I remember somewhere that your pricing planned for that.

• I Heart ShellieMay!

I've always used the sending to friends & family option which means I pay the fees.

Well crap.

It's pretty clear in the Duffy Post thread that Wish Listers pay the fee (bold mine):

You'll send the money via PayPal to my email address (which will NOT include shipping) AND email me to let me know you’ve done this. Payments MUST be made in YEN. Other currencies are NOT accepted. I will not convert from or to dollars and neither should you, except for your own notes. I never expect to discuss ANY currency other than yen. Our transactions will be thought of completely in yen. This should be a minimum of TWO WEEKS BEFORE I go to shop, so that the bank transfer actually has time to go through and I have cash in hand.

When in PayPal, on the "PURCHASE" tab, please select "Services"; on the "PERSONAL" tab, please select "Payment Owed." When you continue onto the confirmation request page, you should see the option "Sender Pays Fees" or “I will pay the fees.” Ensure this box is ticked.

If you do not see this option, return to the previous screen and modify the selection(s) until you see that option. If I am charged fees of any kind, the fee amount will be added to your shipping cost, and you will need to be very careful not to repeat the mistake when you make the shipping cost transfer. Items will not be shipped as long as there are any outstanding fees.

I have been told that this fee may be avoided in PayPal if your bank account is linked.

Because I am not selling items to you and not looking to maximize my personal gain, I will not be responsible for any PayPal fees. It's apparently as simple as this:

...actually when I was transferring the payment, it allows you to tick whether you pay the PayPal fees or the receiver - I chose the first. Maybe that's what you can suggest others to choose next time. Hope it helps...

NOTE: I will intentionally wait until everyone sends funds before moving them from PayPal to my bank account. If my withdrawal is large enough, I pay no fees which means YOU pay no additional fees. We're all in this together; that's the whole point!

Below is a pictorial guide demonstrating how to send money via PayPal…without accidentally charging the recipient of your funds, such as DuffyD, any fees!

Step 1: Login to your PayPal account.
    When you login to your PayPal account, you should be on your homepage, and five tabs (four (4) blue, non-highlighted tabs and one (1) gray, highlighted tab) should be visible. The tabs, demarcated as “My Account,” “Send Money,” “Request Money,” “Merchant Services,” and “Products & Services,” should appear as follows:

Step 2: Click on the “Send Money.”

Two (2) links should appear below the "Send Money" tab: the Send Money Online link and the Pay for eBay Items link. Generally, when the "Send Money" tab is selected, the Send Money Online link page automatically loads. The Send Money Online link page is the page you want. You’re on the correct page if the format for the Send Money Online link is black, bold, and underlined; the format for the Pay for eBay items link is blue, not bold, and not underlined; and the page appears as follows:

Step 3: Input the email address for the recipient of your money transfer/payment in the “To” row.
    For this example, the City of Manhattan decided to send money to Tony Stark/Iron Man whose email address is [email protected] (DISCLAIMER: this email address is not confirmed nor is it confirmed to be the email address of Tony Stark/Iron Man. It is for demonstrative purposes only).

Step 4: Input the quantity you would like to pay, in the appropriate currency, in the “Amount” row. To change the currency to Japanese Yen, click the downward facing arrowhead in the currency tab, scroll down until you find Japanese Yen, highlight Japanese Yen, then click on Japanese Yen.

You have successfully switched the currency to Japanese Yen if the screen appears as follows:

If you ever want to know how much a money transfer, paid for in a foreign currency, is in your currency, PayPal automatically updates and details this information underneath the “Amount” row in the “currency exchange” line. In this example, the City of Manhattan needed to send ¥300 to Tony Stark/Iron Man which was equivalent to $3.29.

Step 5: To ensure that your recipient does NOT pay any fees, click on the “PERSONAL” tab, select “Payment Owed,” then click “Continue.” This step is the most important step to ensure your recipient does not pay any PayPal fees!

If the City of Manhattan were to pay Tony Stark/Iron Man from a bank account, then there would not be a fee. When transferring money from a bank account the subsequent page should appear as follows (note the lack of a fee):

If, however, the City of Manhattan were to pay Tony Stark/Iron Man with either a credit or a debit card, then there would be a fee and the City of Manhattan would have to pay it. When transferring money via a credit or debit card, there will be a fee and the subsequent page should appear as follows (note the ¥49 fee the City of Manhattan agrees to pay):

Make sure you check the box confirming that YOU (the sender) WILL PAY THE FEE! (We don't want Tony Stark/Iron Man to avoid helping the City of Manhattan (or the Universe for that matter) in the future because the City of Manhattan forgot to check the box confirming it would pay the fee).

I won't make that mistake again.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

It does get confusing, and we had a thread about what you choose, then PayPal switched things. The images and advice are not quite applicable now.

The steadfast rule is that until you see a line that says YOU pay X fees, don't send money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovegreataur View Post
    It does get confusing, and we had a thread about what you choose, then PayPal switched things. The images and advice are not quite applicable now.

The steadfast rule is that until you see a line that says YOU pay X fees, don't send money.
    I can't stress how true it is that when I get charged fees it seriously affects my motivation for the Post. Any WishLister who has me paying fees will be charged those fees, plus for my time before I ship. I'm sorry it was confusing for you, kittyloaf, and I'm sorry I don't have time when the WLs and transfers are flooding in to log in at PayPal to make sure it's been done correctly each time. If I get an email from PayPal showing a WLer's transfer in the correct amount, I confirm the transfer. I trust WLers to be careful. It is often a couple days later before I notice that I was charged the fees.

Especially when WLers have not taken the time to verify their PayPal accounts and their fees are unnecessarily expensive, being charged fees is really demotivating. I am still, right now, getting requests to do Christmas shopping, with Wish Lists submitted without maths and in a letter format, no itemized Listing. Even though I specifically mentioned, "Please do NOT send numbered Lists and please do NOT send WLs in any other format except basic text" in my emails to WLers, I got both, several times. WLers refuse to follow protocol all the time, and I just change my workflow to meet their needs. But when I am literally paying for it, that's an uncrossable line for me.

The Post is hard physical labor. It requires being up at 3:00 in the morning to take the first train before 6AM to get to the park by 7AM (which is already late) and wait 1~3 hours, sitting on cold concrete, for it to open. I do this alone. I don't bring friends on Shopping Days because there is no time for fun.

Once the park opens, it's RUN to the first shop, but I stand in line anyway if I go the first day of an event, often for longer than an hour. Sometimes, considerably longer.

It's also mentally challenging. Even before shopping, I have to make the Master List. After the daunting task of merging all the individual Lists into one Master List, I have to recheck the Master List against the individual Lists, too. This takes many, many hours. It takes longer because so many WLers decided that they don't have to describe items with exactly the titles that I post or that they can number their Lists or submit them as .DOC or .XLS files even though I request that this not happen every single time.

I usually have to remember that WLer X decided to add "one more thing" or WLer Y changed his List entirely and cut off half of it - hope I don't accidentally buy those things and get stuck with them myself. Yes, that has happened, and no the WLer did not pay. That was back in the beginning when I was naive and I shipped anyway and just ate the cost. That would NEVER happen now. Just for the record, that person no longer participates here, never really did. Our community is a good one. Sometimes I think of limiting the Post to people who've been on MiceChat at least X months and have at least X posts in the past month, but that would exclude some of the most respectful WLers and for many new MiceChat Duffeteers, getting their first Care Package is one of the major things that gets them excited and keeps them around.

Things are also delayed because someone is always late with List submission and someone is always late transferring funds. Sometimes so late that I end up covering them, as long as I can see the funds in PayPal. I am not charged fees when I transfer ¥50,000 or more. When it is less, I am charged fees, so when you pay late, you cost me real money because I didn't move your money with everyone else's. I didn't always charge late fees before, but I do now, and like late WLers' attitudes, it depends on my mood. I make real effort to talk about the next Shopping Day more than a month in advance. I announce product release dates as early as I can, and other Duffeteers help with this. There is no reason that a WLer who actively participates in the MiceChat community cannot be prepared well before the D-day for the Trip they want to participate in. It's never like, "Oh crap! D-day is tomorrow!" But every time, people are late.

My costs have grown tremendously as the number of WLers has increased and I have to have everything shipped to my home. Now it costs me over ¥10,000 just to get everything delivered. And since I box everything before sending shipping costs, that also comes out of my gratuity and fees. Having lots of WLers also sometimes means that it is simply impossible to finish everything in one day, even without breaks. Remember that Duffy merchandise has a three-item limit, so for some items I'm making nearly ten different queues to the cash register before I can finish. For items like plush and printed bags that have a lot of individual variation, I may decide that I've looked for "just right" ones and not found them at one shop and move on to the next one, all the while with two of the giant SV park shopping bags - one on each shoulder - and my giant canvas tote. Often all three of these bags are totally full because I need to give Home Delivery all of the items together in order for them to accurately assess the cost. Once all those bags are full, I often carry two of the largest plastic TDR shopping bags in each hand. This is the limit of my capacity and I have to trudge to the Home Delivery Service now, often with people laughing and pointing at the "weirdo" (yes, I've heard it) buying so much Disney stuff that he can barely walk. I do this usually four or five times in a day. It takes a few register trips to reach capacity. And keep in mind, I have to be walking around shopping, checking items for the "just right" ones WITH all these bags. I have to make sure that even while I'm finding a perfect-faced ShellieMay, I'm also keeping track of 4~6 bags of already purchased merchandise. It's uncomfortable, but I do it for you. Which is, of course, really for me.

I remember when I was virtually alone as a Duffy fan on MiceChat, and then there were two - who are still here - who joined me. And for a long, long time it was just the three of us really. Now there are others here who were there at the time but who did not understand Duffy initially. But there are so many Duffeteers now, and it makes me so happy. And the only way for me to know for sure that the Duffy you know is the Duffy I love, is for me to ensure the quality of your experience by selecting your stuff myself. The Duffy Post gives me other people to talk to about Duffy, whom I know really understand and experience directly what Duffy is all about. I'm willing to work very hard for that.

Then it all comes to my house and I deal with my least favorite part, separating all of that massive quantity of items into individual boxes to be shipped. I try hard not to need bubblewrap because that costs me money, but some of the breakables are just really beautiful and of course people want them. I don't charge extra for this. I try to estimate the size of boxes accurately, but nearly always end up buying wrong sizes, which also eats into my costs because I only charge WLers for the box I ship, not a set handling fee.

Somewhere in there is also the time I spend trying to think of and also purchasing the lagniappe. Sometimes I try to be really creative with the gift, but it rarely gets the reaction I hope for, so I often just get something simple but cute. It's hard because these really shouldn't cost much, but I pretty much always spend more than intended on these lately. I will warn you all that I am trying to stop doing that.

Once I have the stack of Care Packages all ready, I have to weigh each one and send out a shipping request to every WLer. Some are awesome and transfer funds quickly. Many have to be reminded that I am still waiting after a couple of days. Some have to be reminded again.

Once I've got the money in PayPal, it's time to move it to my bank, just like the first transfer. Once it gets to my bank, I call the post office to arrange pick-up. I ask them to call 20~30 minutes before they come so that I can already have the boxes downstairs waiting, to save time. Sometimes they do this, sometimes not. If the post officers don't make any mistakes, which has happened once, this takes about an hour. If there are mistakes it can take forEVER for them to scan all the items to ship out. And of course, sometimes they have to wait for me to finish putting stickers on boxes, too! We're patient with each other. I am VERY grateful for my post officers.

So there's a little insight into the Post, and why I think it's fair that WishListers pay ALL of the fees. As my costs in both time and money have increased significantly, I have never even thought seriously about raising the rates of the Duffy Post. At first I just wanted WLers to have an alternative to eBay price gouging, but the Post has been successful in bringing eBay prices down a bit, I think. Now, I really hope that the Duffy Post is simply the most attractive Duffy experience on earth. I hope that WLers appreciate the Post on a lot of different levels and enjoy the experience as a whole, and knowing that their money is going directly to the Oriental Land Company that brought Duffy to life and the original English-speaking Duffy fan whose commitment has been ever unwavering to bring the love iin every way I can. I hope that means something to Duffeteers, and being careful with PayPal so that I am not paying fees (along with following the Guidelines) is the best way to show it.

I didn't realize that PayPal had changed. Should I remove those images and instructions, then? Is that just making it more confusing? Anybody wanna do new ones? ZTR, we miss you!!!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-28-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Again. I apologize and I will not make that mistake again. It was by no means my intention to create more work for you or to discourage you from doing wishlists. It was a one time mistake that I made due to a lapse in judgement and you can rest assured that I both appreciate the time you put in to this, and that I am not the kind of person who would disrespect your time by waiting until the last minute to modify my WL. So many people would not get to experience the priviledgd and excitement of Duffy goods from TDS-- especially from someone who truly loves him like we do.

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

Kittyloaf and any others who read this, please know that so many people are online all of the time that if you have a question and need to be sure you are doing it right, give a shout out. You can see if someone is online. You can see which members are reviewing a thread.

I made the same error you did, Kittyloaf, the first time. I didn't understand the system. I was following posted rules, but the outcome wasn't what it needed to be. We worked on getting new guidance and ZTR posted photos in a new thread. Then PayPal changed. Yes, DuffyD, we need to make further changes and post new screen shots.
    Then there was the back and forth, rejection of money, more attempts, frustration, you name it. I learned. Now I make sure that I see the line indicating that I pay the fees before I submit.

I think the real problems come with repeated offenders. As long as you make the mistake only once, that is what counts.

My two cents (or 2 yen).
    ILG

Angry Re: One WishLister's useful PayPal tips!^^

So…miserably frustrated. I am on the train now to deal with my visa, kind of important. Wrote a very long, thoughtful post which MiceChat just ate. I don't have it in me to post it again. I'll just say that I am not "scolding" anyone. Some WLers suggested I explain more of the process because people don't really understand, so I did. My head is about to explode, so I'll go now.

• Adventures with Duffy

DuffyD, its nice to know the process you go through for the post. I knew it was a lot of work for you. I didn't know that you could ship items to your house. I remember the stories when you ride your bike. I know its been a long time since then and Im thrilled that your able to ship to your house. Not only do you not have to carry everything, which I don't know how you could. The trains in Tokyo would be to hard to navigate with that much stuff. I remember the long walk at the Main Train Station was a long walk to and from the train that takes you to TDR. With a rolling suite case, I thought that was a long walk.

Anyhow, thank you so much for all that you do. You made Duffy so much more fun for those who aren't in Tokyo.

We were writing at the same time. I don't think you are scolding anyone. I appreciate what you wrote. I like knowing the steps and why you want things the way you do, it helps, I think. Good luck with your visa.
    Last edited by DuffyGuardian; 10-28-2013 at 06:13 PM.

D
    uffeteer
    Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics

Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You put up with so much DuffyD that it makes me appreciate what you do even more. But maybe you need to not be so tolerant and bending the rules to accommodate those who mess up. You have a set way of doing these things and if someone can't follow instructions that are spelled out in a very cohesive and detailed way, then these people don't deserve your services.

This is just me, but I'd instate a "zero tolerance" policy. Either follow the rules or you can't use the service. Maybe that will get people to actually stop, read the guidelines and actually follow them as instructed.

In the end it might save you some of the frustration and headache.

Here are a couple of quick-and-dirties for now!

Basically, you just click friends and family...

...and check for confirmation on the next page that the fees are added to your total.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyGuardian View Post
    DuffyD, its nice to know the process you go through for the post. I knew it was a lot of work for you... I appreciate what you wrote. I like knowing the steps and why you want things the way you do, it helps, I think. Good luck with your visa.
    Same here! I was really curious, in fact. I have to confess that the scenario in my head was a bit more idyllic, and I didn't realize there was a three-item limit (I believe the limit is 10 Duffy items at Disneyland).

My mom and I were actually really concerned about you riding your bike loaded up with tons of bags, DuffyD!
    Last edited by The First Star; 10-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.

• I Heart ShellieMay!

Thanks for the insight on all of the labor that goes into the Post, DuffyD. I can't express enough how much I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Boog1981; 10-29-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast