Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Round Two- We are going to need another Elf

Ok so with all the Christmas Wishlist "stress" I did not get to post this story. But since I know DuffyD needs a laugh, I am going to give him one at my expense.

So, we all know the outcome of the last "great hunt for the mystical Duffy Elf costume". No one died and dd and I had an "adventure". Yeah....

So then I was asked to do the impossible..... again..... and find another Elf. How hard could it be?

This time I started with a plan! I called Disney merchandise. The department that know all things Mickey. (They may know Mickey, but they don't know Duffy)

I called, and spoke to a very sweet girl who assured me the Duffy Elf was READILY (her word not mine) on property. It was available at World of Disney, and The Christmas shop and Once Upon a toy. Coollll I don't have to go to a park and I can get my free birthday sandwich from Earl of Sandwich.

Soooo we sent off early in the morning to get to DTD before the tourists. (Tourist in rental cars combined with all the construction make Epcot during weekend Food and Wine look fun). Found a wonderful parking space in an almost empty lot (side benefit on being local=knowing the good parking spots) and high tail it to World of Disney.

Now, as a general rule I avoid World of Disney. It is two big with too many people who have no idea what they want. They just have to be in your way. Sooo, I head to the Duffy room (logical right?). For reasons I do not understand Bibbity Boppity Boutigue is located right next to the Duffy room. So what that means is you have 7 million moms standing around everywhere taking pictures of their child. (Note: Nothing against taking picture or moms, I take pic of my kid too- I just don't get in other peoples way to do it). And the moms are not alone, they have the huge SUV strollers blocking the entrance to the Duffy area.

After finally making it thru the crowd, we land in the room of Duffy. Ummmm, where are the Elf costumes? Not on the shelf, not even a space on the shelf. The sweet girl on the phone could not have lied to me. Let's go to the information booth. They can help us.

First CM at the info booth "Can I help you?" Me: yes, can you tell me where I can find the Duffy Elf costume in this store, please?. Her: We don't sell Duffy.. Me: Actually, you have a room full of Duffy Bears not a hundred feet from where we are standing. Her: Did you look there? hmmmm wish I had thought of that. Me: I called Disney merchandise and they said you have the costume. Her: Did they say where? Enter second CM. First CM to second CM-do we have Duffy Christmas costumes? 2nd CM if we do they are in a box somewhere until we reset on the 31st. No one has them yet. (Ok I know this game)
    I explain to 2nd CM we have bought them on property before. 2nd CM says "let me call someone"..................

Re: Round Two- We are going to need another Elf

Goodness gracias. You just keep getting the run around. >.<

• Felice Natale!

Wow, mmommie, I'm so sorry. More grateful than sorry, but sorry, too. Fortunately, as far as merchandise knowledge, TDR CMs are beyond reproach. I actually cannot relate to that part of your story at all, and am truly shocked by the vastness of the gap.

For me, it's always WishListers, bless 'em. One who finally submitted a List a little before 11:00 last night, only to change it by 11:30, and finally to transfer a little after 12:00. Another who wrote at around 12:30 to let me know I'd be getting the List "in 30 minutes" and then sent money first. Another whose List had been confirmed, transferred extra funds and sent me a note, hours after I'd confirmed receiving funds, that "I added extra for (another item); hope that's okay," never having submitted an updated List.

Any time you wonder why the Duffy Post has so many rules and guidelines or why I sometimes speak so firmly, this is why. Because even with all the guidelines, these things happen every time. It's "funny," because I totally love all three of these people and would do anything for them. But it's not so funny when it risks me shopping wrong, which is always my greatest fear because with the rate of Duffy stuff selling out and the physical distance to WishListers, plus the CRAZY prices of the most sought after items on the secondary market, fixing Duffy mistakes is harrrd. I try to keep all my attention on just that, being careful, but there is always so much more to it than just getting everyone's stuff.

I love these stories, though, every one.^^ And that's not nearly half of them from Christmas you know who you are! those are just the three biggest from the last hours before D-day. Every one of the events I mentioned has happened before, and will probably happen again. I will be frustrated, but like you, I will laugh it off. Because unlike the CMs who are being paid to do a job well, WishListers are like family. Family drives you crazy and makes you want to screeeeam sometimes. But if it always went smoothly, it would be way less interesting, and I probably love the Post more because of stories like these, because they create memories that make WLers more human, that make me feel I know you better and that we're closer because of it.

That said, DON'T GET ANY IDEAS; SMOOTH IS GREAT, TOO!

I hope the WLers' whose stories I mentioned also read this with a smile. I'm smiling as I write it. Money is moving and Christmas should go off without a hitch. As ever, I am inexpressibly grateful for the Duffy Post, and infinitely thankful to see how much everyone here truly loves Duffy. Besides, it could be ANYBODY and nearly every WLer has been "that" WLer at one time or another. If anyone posts, "Not me!" be very suspicious!

And rest assured that I make mistakes, too. During Halloween, one WishLister barely got the Shellie Cat because of my error, while another only got the Duffy Bat because of the same mistake. I still have missing MiraCosta charms or a refund to send to another WishLister, and I've made numerous other slip-ups over the years. No one is perfect (except Duffy and the Buddha^^). That's why we all just have to be AWESOME instead!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-25-2013 at 08:52 PM.

Totally not posting "not me". I try to "own" the bonehead things I do. Hmmmm I did say you would have my list in 30 minutes. But I don't think I transferred money before my list was approved. I think I am "safe"

As far as the Elf costume-I consider myself THE authority in WDW(and told a CM that LOL). Funny thing is I have not even had a chance to open my boxed PJ set-let alone my Elf.

Siiiiigh. I have been experiencing frustrating back-and-forths with the post office, which has "misfiled" a package of mine -- the blue fair isle BAB dress! So reading about your trials and tribulations helps me realize that I'm not alone in this mess, and that it'll probably straighten itself out. And also that apparently, World of Disney and USPS employees are equally clueless.

• I Heart ShellieMay!

I like that about not being perfect but being awesome instead, DuffyD!

• Felice Natale!

Aren't we all clueless sometimes, though? In my experience, "misfiled" probably does mean misfiled and it will turn up. There are soooo many things I screw up in a week; I really hope the people around me laugh at them and don't take them too seriously. I like to think of it as my "charm points."

My point with my earlier post is that anything involving lots of humans is likely to be messy. But it's exactly because the CMs are so clueless that fans can feel like experts. The messiness adds color…as long as it all works out. Your Fair Isle dress will seem even more wonderful because it has a story. Finally getting the third Elf costume is even more satisfying because of the challenges that had to be overcome. Running the Post is even more gratifying (and exciting) because through all the chaos, the transfers get made and the Care Packages get home, safe and sound.

Now if a WLer neglected to pay for items that were purchased or I neglected to purchase items that were paid for, if the CM's ignorance stopped you from getting the Elf, or if the Fair Isle dress doesn't make it home — that's a whole different thing. But as long as it all comes together in the end, I think the bumps just keep things interesting and give us stories to share.

Keep us posted on the dress!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 10-26-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: I really remembered "Fairisle" as one word, which I thought was strange. It's not strange, though, just wrong.^^

You know, with all this talk of the Fair Isle dress-now I want one! Off to search lol

• Tower of Tower Nut

I am at Disneyland now and I am very happy to have found Duffy's Elf costume this morning at Disney Showcase on Main Street. I did stress out she I entered the store thou. They moved Duffy to a wall display and the small room is now filled with Christmas

• I love that tiny bear!

Not to get all science-y, but there was an article that's related to the "more pain making the entire experience better" phenomenon, though they were talking about physical pain. I found it pretty interesting.

BBC - Future - Health - Why feeling more pain may be better for you

But no, I don't think the moral is to try to make things harder for people. Fortunately (?) the US parks' indifference towards Duffy sometimes makes the pain part easy without any Duffeteers' involvement.

(I try to be good in Duffy Post....me and all three of my email addresses. )

The blue dress came today! My mail carrier searched for it personally yesterday and found that it really had been put in the wrong place. It's adorable!!!! Thank you to you-know-who-you-are for helping me find it

I'm glad to hear the elf costume is finally at Disneyland. I'm feeling a little frugal right now and will probably wait until November to pick it up and the Duffy pillow, too. I hope I won't have the same problems as mmommie has had over at WDW!!

Yeah to the mail carrier!!!!!

• Felice Natale!

TFS, I am so relieved about your sweater, and it looks beautiful! It really makes Shellie's eyes pop!

*happy dance*

I'm going to Epcot tomorrow, so I'm going to be on the lookout for the Elf costume. It's one I have to have, and hopefully can get my hands on before all the greedy eBay sellers start buying them up!
    Luv Duffy & Shellie May

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast