• Journey On!

"My Friend Duffy" featuring ShellieMay

Here's a Twitter feed aggregator:

ƒž‚ƒ•ƒƒƒ‰ƒƒ€ƒƒƒ•‚ƒ2014年1œˆ20 —ž - Togetterまと‚

All I can really put together clearly is that Duffy seems to be older (thank goodness!), and Mickey and Minnie are like proud parents. This continues the vibe established in the original MFD and continued a bit in Spring Voyage. I don't really like it. The photos are neat to see, though. You can easily see that Duffy Fever is still in full force — check out the lines! I'm very surprised the official site hasn't been updated. I was hoping for a big overhaul of the way My Friend Duffy is presented online, since it uses the "Bear of Happiness & Luck" artwork, but BHL and MFD offer significantly different portraits of Duffy.

Duffy and Shellie are not the Mouses' children. They are friends. Friends are equals. In the approach being suggested post-MFD, Duffy "needs" Mickey and Minnie to explain the world to him. In the original "Bear of Happiness & Luck" storybook, Duffy needed no such assistance. He traveled in dreams on his own, sailed away on his own for adventures of his own, and came back "sometimes." It is clear that Duffy is in no one's care, on no one's leash, and comes and goes as HE pleases.

It is also very clear, that although Minnie made the bear, she did not know he would come to life, does not understand how he did (beyond perhaps purity of intention and love), and does not feel the need to ask or explain such magics — it is beyond her. Mickey's experience is similar. He is amazed by Duffy's animated presence, but it is less clear in the Japanese version whether this animation happens "for real" or by the power of imagination and dreams. The text and artwork have a subtlety that is almost completely lost in the official English version.

MFD seems to be based on the English version and debuted just ahead of the US Duffy launch, if memory serves. This leads me more and more to see this show as non-canon meddling with the nature of Duffy's character in order to limit his potential (perceived threat to the Mouses).

Although Mickey and Minnie featured heavily in the Sweet Duffy storybook, they were basically plot devices to give Duffy and Shellie a way to show their trademark universal love and compassion for all. The Mouses were not stars — at all. And Duffy was a wild, free ball of love and energy — not a helpless, clumsy, clueless "child."

The Duffy I fell in love with and still love had keen insight into the suffering of the world by literally walking and sailing through our dreams, and he naturally chose to do whatever he could to relieve that suffering. For instance, opening his own Sweet Duffy Cafe — where, initially, he ran his place alone, welcoming customers, including Mickey and Minnie.

Not only are the Mouses not his parents and not "above" him in terms of either maturity or ability (though they are more reserved than Duffy's wild, free love energy spirit of play); Mickey and Minnie themselves are amazed and moved by Duffy's passion, energy, love and power. The text of the Sweet Duffy storybook is very, very light. The story I'm talking about is really in the illustrations. LINK here.

Please post any interesting news and discuss the new show here. I won't be able to go myself until Friday at the earliest.

• Journey On!

Re: "My Friend Duffy" featuring ShellieMay

LINK to the best summary I could find. This blogger stayed at MiraCosta just to have the 15 minutes early entry for this show — that's hardcore!^^

• North American Duffeteer

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

• Journey On!

I think they definitely achieved what they set out to do, though I still feel strongly that my version of the story animating Shellie with Duffy's wish and the shell is better. In the "My Friend Duffy" version, it's not even Duffy who gives it to her. MFD is definitely not canon for me, and its continued deviation from even the official TDS storybooks means as far as I can tell, there really is no Duffy canon. This wonderful YouTuber says an English translation is in the works, but have this til then:

Parts 1 & 2:

Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 01-20-2014 at 09:47 AM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Duffy Channel! They have a lot of great videos... some with English subtitles! I have them bookmarked.

Here's a video of the new show from PapaMickey on YouTube (they have some really great videos as well):

• Munchings & Crunchings

I...uh...well, I"m not sure what to say.

It's...kind of boring to be honest. A lot like the first act from the previous show, it's mostly just talking. But...at least Duffy got a puff of smoke and some twinkling star effects to show him coming to life. ShellieMay gets...some sheets?

It is weird how they changed the story from the official book. Why sell that and have the different storyline in My Friend Duffy at the same time?

I went back and looked at the ShellieMay book again, and Duffy is the one to give her the shell pendant. But one thing still bothers me about this version, and the My Friend Duffy version. How is Minnie able to give life to plush? In Duffy's book, he's the one that magically comes to life, possibly through Minnie's love, but he does it on his own, and it's a total surprise to everyone. ShellieMay, on the other hand, is created and gifted life by Minnie just for Duffy. It's...weird that she has that power and it's not really explained at all.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't have expected too terribly much from the new show, but it's definitely not something I'd need to see over and over. Also...I guess they got rid of the song for the second act, but the ones they had weren't all that memorable. Say what you will about the "D-U-F-F-Y" song, it was an earworm that gets in your head (even if you don't want in there). The new stuff is...well, like I said in the first part, boring.

• Journey On!

Sad Re: "My Friend Duffy" featuring ShellieMay

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    It's...kind of boring to be honest. A lot like the first act from the previous show, it's mostly just talking. But...at least Duffy got a puff of smoke and some twinkling star effects to show him coming to life. ShellieMay gets...some sheets?
    I agree. Even Especially for kids, it seems not much exciting is really going on. And you're right, though I find "D-U-F-F-Y" grindingly cringeworthy, it could arguably be fun for little kids. MFD really feels like the heartless empty saccharine sentimentality that inspired the insipid original US "Disney Bear" story. There's just not much of value there. I wish they'd just adapted the fantastic "Boat Builders" set and made "Mickey & Duffy's Voyage Adventures."

That's another thing. MFD is very much about the Mouses. It's not really Duffy and ShellieMay stories at all. It's Minnie's love that drives the first story, and the Mouses' guilt that drives the new one. The second act is really just a plug of cameos from around TDS, though I can see how it would be fun for kids to think, "I know! That's Flounder!" or "I went there today!" or "Let's go there next!" I actually like that element, and it also serves the purpose of fleshing out the character of TippyBlue, though fairly inconsistently. Tippy's strongly antagonistic scaremongering at the start of Act II suddenly changes to, "Don't worry, you'll be safe with Mickey," with no reasonable explanation for the 360. It makes Tippy just look like a jerk. So when we think of his important and charming role delivering letters back home from the duo'a travels, we find it harder to be moved. This is even worse in Act III when Tippy's genuine concern for Duffy's happiness is what motivates the Mouses to create ShellieMay, which, unless I'm mistaken, seems to involve Mickey in the new show segment. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    …I went back and looked at the ShellieMay book again, and Duffy is the one to give her the shell pendant. But one thing still bothers me about this version, and the My Friend Duffy version. How is Minnie able to give life to plush? In Duffy's book, he's the one that magically comes to life, possibly through Minnie's love, but he does it on his own, and it's a total surprise to everyone. ShellieMay, on the other hand, is created and gifted life by Minnie just for Duffy. It's...weird that she has that power and it's not really explained at all.
    It's true. That question was unnecessary before MFD. Duffy magically came to life because of Minnie's intent, surely. But Duffy's powers transcended that and his mysterious nature was part if his charm. He had has his own special magic that defies explanation. That's charming. When it's, "Minnie can make plush and any plush she makes magically come to life for no reason except that we said so, so there," it not only cheapens Duffy's unique mystique; it also lessens the impact that Duffy's enchantment involved a very specific moment when Minnie's heart was filled with pure love for Mickey. Minnie's fantastic love is heavily featured in Act I of MFD — too heavily. It becomes even more trite when suddenly she can make ShellieMay, too, just cos she wants to, and especially troublesome when we realize that all those other plush in her workshop are also apparently alive, at least for Halloween and Christmas.

And, yeah, I have only bothered to watch MFD maybe twice, so I always forget that Minnie's atelier is littered with the supporting friends we see from September through December. I also forgot Daisy's jabs at Duffy, suggesting the monkey and the parrot are better. This is totally in character for Daisy, adds meta with the folks who don't get what the big deal is about this "stupid" bear, and adds an extra layer to the scene that I like. Donald has a similar reaction at the mention of Duffy's name in the new show, I think, jealous of his fame. Also, totally in character, and especially elegant meta considering it's Donald's show that got the boot to make way for MFD, and Donald's undisputed and indisputable first-tier status as a legitimate classic character. I wish that Duffy wasn't a toddler in the show so that Donald's point would ring a more "sour grapes." As it stands, it seems like a somewhat valid criticism; he has a point. But MFD is not Duffy in my eyes. Sadly, I bet WAY more people are seeing that show than reading the "Happiness & Luck" storybook. And even among those who know both, I doubt that very many find the situation all that frustrating, meaningful or important. Bummer.

And you're right, Gurgi. Ignoring all these other basic story-crafting issues, "My Friend Duffy" commits the worst sin of all — it's boring. Oh, that it was inspired by the Imagineers' Village Greeting Place instead of the marketing department's clip art and cheap sentiment.

• No Spoons: Try Back Later

I'm kind of confused by the lack of consistent canon. It feels like there is more of a cohesive feel with everything else... except for My Friend Duffy. I'm going to wait until I can find subs to watch the second version, but overall I'm not sure they the people who were coming up with the show itself were as sure of what to do with everything, and from the sounds of everyone else's comments about the second version, that doesn't seem too off the mark.
    Chronically ill lurker will be lurking.
    Please contact me via PM or tumblr ask if you need to get ahold of me.

• Munchings & Crunchings

DuffyD, your suggestion of just retheming Donald's Boat Builders would have been fun. Instead of Chip & Dale tormenting Donald and breaking the boat, it could have just been accidents. Although, they really could have even changed it so that the boat didn't fall apart, but they made it seem like it was out at sea. Maybe change the set to that the dock was removed? Duffy and Mickey sailing on that little ship, with added special effects and projections would have been a lot more fun.

I did notice that after the new "act III", there was fairly tepid applause. It makes me wonder if fans are just kind of "eh" about the new part too, or if that's just the Japanese way to not applaud too loudly for something like this.

All I know is that if I was a little kid, I would be bored to tears. There's just not much to look at on stage, and almost all of it is just talking. "Act II" of the show is really the best part, and for kids it's entertaining because there is constant movement with the pictures sliding in and out, and the song too.

Also...this is just me being silly, but I think Tippy Blue is a terrible postman! I looked at the storybook and there's an image of him welcoming Mickey and Duffy back (along with everyone else). Tippy is excited and letters are just flying all over the place! Silly bird, he's dropping the mail! Plus, like DuffyD said, he's got a side of him that's a little bit jerky (teasing Duffy), and then also a kind of creepy voyeuristic side where he's always peeking in everyone's windows, LOL! So, a nosy, jerky, inept postman...that's Tippy Blue! I'm just being silly myself with that analysis, but I did notice all of those things about him, yet he's still kind of endearing.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh yeah, and I DID notice a while ago that in the original act of the show, the plush are the same ones that we now see for Halloween and Christmas. I meant to point that out, but forgot. I'm not sure what it says, since so far they have only been in illustrations, but if it means Minnie has basically created all these villagers to play with Duffy, she's seriously hiding some dark magic, LOL! I do hope that those characters stay as they are, and are never fleshed out beyond artwork. I think if they start adding personalities and backstories for all of them, it severely dilutes everything about Duffy, because it pulls focus from him and ShellieMay.

• Journey On!

Totally! What makes Duffy and Shellie magical is that they came to life mysteriously. If Minnie can make plush come to life whenever she feels like it, not only are Duffy and Shellie less special, so is Minnie's love.