Talking Real Duffy and ShellieMay (newbie!)

Evenin'!
    I've been a fan of Disney for a long, long time... I even did the DCP back when I was in college. I've been feeling pretty "homesick", I guess, and (thanks to that and a re-kindled love for teddy bears due to working at BABW awhile ago) I've been looking at Duffy and ShellieMay. I love to watch videos of Tokyo DisneySea and someday I'd love to go. In the meantime, I'd love to have a pair of bears from over there.
    I have a very kind friend who... well, she spoils me. A lot. She said that she wanted to get me Duffy and ShellieMay, so we headed over to eBay.
    She hasn't ordered anything yet, I just want to make sure that we don't get the wool pulled over our eyes... I didn't even realize fakes were a thing! It's kind of sad...
    I was wondering, do these two look like legit TDS bears?

Thanks you all so much, and I look forward to celebrating Duffy with you all!
    Last edited by rosymaplemoth; 03-23-2014 at 07:09 PM.

• Felice Natale!

Re: Real Duffy and ShellieMay (newbie!)

Welcome aboard, rosymaplemoth! I hope you stick around and participate in our community of crazy fluffy Duffy love!

As for the auction, they could be real. There aren't really enough detailed shots to be sure. I do think that most Japanese wouldn't use "nuigurumi" in a product description on eBay, though. That seems like something someone trying hard to "seem authentic" might do. But then again, maybe not.

If I've done the math right, two bears would be ¥10,880 with Duffy Post, which is $106.31 today (versus $105 on eBay). Shipping will even be the same, since that seller is also apparently in Japan. With the Post, you'd also be supporting this community and the world's first and hardest-working English-native hardcore Duffy fan. And you wouldn't have to wonder if they're fake.

If it were me, I'd support the fan who answered my question and the world's oldest, strongest, kindest, most wonderful English-speaking fan community, but you're welcome either way. In case you are interested, though, the current D-day for WishListers is about 34 hours from the time stamp on this post.^^

Oops! I forgot to ask… What's "the DCP?"
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 03-23-2014 at 08:57 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

DCP = Disney College Program (where college students come to work at WDW & Disneyland).

And the bears look real deal to me. The fake Shellie May's usually have too long eyelashes, their noses are darker and their face usually looks smushed and just not right.

But if you used DuffyPost, like DuffyD said, you wouldn't have to worry if they might be fake or not. You'd for sure get the real thing and they'd be hand-picked just for you with a LOT of care.

I got my Shellie May almost 3 years ago from DuffyD and he picked a great one for me. I've gotten compliments on her from my Facebook friends in Japan (they tell me my May is beautiful).

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    DCP = Disney College Program (where college students come to work at WDW & Disneyland).
    Thanksness. And yes, your Shellie is one of the very beary best. I think so every time I see your photos. Of course, I think that about all the WishListers' ShellieMays, but there is no doubt that you photograph them like the stars they are!

Thank you very much! I love the service you do and I have been reading over it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to order my bears until sometime in April. Believe me, I'd much rather get Duffy and Shellie May from someone who's had such a great history in the community.
    If you don't mind me asking, when do you think your next trip would be?

• Felice Natale!

Thank YOU very much! I wasn't trying to be pushy. It's just a sore spot for me when people come by MiceChat very briefly but then don't stick around. Please stay! The more folks we have, the more perspectives and the better the conversation. There are so many layers and details in what's happening with Duffy and having "newbies" around means we all think about the nuances with fresh eyes — it's invigorating. A thriving community depends on it, and Duffy deserves it (and still really needs it to grow and reach his full potential).^^

As for April shopping, I'm afraid that's unlikely. It'll be all I can do to get these folks' stuff out the door, hopefully on a much more timely fashion than the ill-fated SD14.^^ The next shopping trip will likely not be until September unless there is suddenly a huge influx of new WishListers or OLC decides to do a summer release that is not Regular Series. (By the by, "Welcome to Cape Cod" is starting to feel "old" to me. I wonder if "Regular Series" has a shelf life of about one year now…)

I'm a little optimistic there may be a seasonal summer release, if they include the bears in Tanabata, but I suspect, sadly, that this is unlikely. I would to be surprised, though!^^

Assuming nothing changes dramatically, every WishLister whom I expect to participate is already in for the current Spring Voyage. So most likely, the next Announced D-Day will come in August for a September Shopping Trip for Halloween. And to be honest, as much as I LOVE choosing bears for people, I am really looking forward to having a few months "off!"

I don't blame you at all for that feeling! I definitely plan on sticking around. I love teddy bears and I love Disney, so when Duffy came overseas it was like a dream come true.

I hope you enjoy your months off! September is when my birthday is, so I might have to save up to get some Halloween merch... favorite holiday, favorite bear... it works out.

My ultimate "Duffy Dream" (hurr hurr) would be to go to Tokyo DisneySea to get photos of Duffy on-board the Nautilus. I'm a huge Jules Verne fan (as well as a submarine fan) so being able to go through the Nautilus would be like a dream. In fact, have any of you seen photos of Duffy on the Nautilus? Most photos of Duffy I've found have him in the stateside parks.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by rosymaplemoth View Post
    My ultimate "Duffy Dream" (hurr hurr) would be to go to Tokyo DisneySea to get photos of Duffy on-board the Nautilus. I'm a huge Jules Verne fan (as well as a submarine fan) so being able to go through the Nautilus would be like a dream. In fact, have any of you seen photos of Duffy on the Nautilus? Most photos of Duffy I've found have him in the stateside parks.
    The Nautilus docked in Mysterious Island at TDS is just an outside photo op. You can't go inside as it's only a prop. There is a Nautilus walk-thru attraction at Disneyland Paris though (in Discoveryland next to Space Mountain).

Ooh, thanks! I'm getting my parks mixed up... that's what I get for only visiting WDW (so far!).
    I just love Mysterious Island. Jules Verne is one of my favorite authors, so that's like a dream.
    Ahhh, I'm getting all excited now. I think I'm going to make a new thread about favorite Duffys.

Thank you, everyone, for your help!!

Sorry for bringing back this post, but I am way too excited to not share the news.
    My friend just ordered me Duffy and Shellie May. I feel almost numb I'm so excited and happy. I'm just ... wow. This is going to be incredible. I'm so glad I'll be able to share this experience with you all!!