Question What is your ultimate FAVORITE Duffy and/or Shellie May?

I couldn't find a thread like this, I do apologize if it's a duplicate.
    What is everybody's all-time favorite Duffy and/or Shellie May piece of merchandise? Is it a costume? One of the smaller plushes? A strap? I just want to see what everybody's favorite, is. I'm still very new to Duffy and I'd love to see what themes people like.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Re: What is your ultimate FAVORITE Duffy and/or Shellie May?

That's an impossible question for me. There is no way I can say any one merchandise item is my "favorite," which is probably why I keep investing so much time and money in Duffy.

I can say that I love these Fabergé Eggs that are coming! I have wanted an egg like that for a long time and it will be a joy to have something Duffy that is just so crafted and gorgeous. But then, that's par for the course for Duffy; I just thought of a LOT of other things I'd list equally. Nope, with merchandise it's impossible.

But I can say definitively that my favorite Duffy creation is certainly and without hesitation Cape Cod's Village Greeting Place. It is astonishingly amazing. The details are gorgeous and authentic, and the Imagineering goal is a) clear, b) successful, and c) inspired by the fan-led response to Duffy rather than forcing its message. It is very organic and it gives fans something very precious — validity.

VGP contextualizes Duffy in history, as I had done long before it existed, conflating "Duffy Fever" with the craze that accompanied the creation of the "teddy bear" in the early twentieth century. It's revisionist history that gives Duffy a context and a context based on very real history combined with actual current events. It is very similar in effect to the scene in which Woody realizes his history and legacy in Toy Story 2. What the Imagineers have achieved there is so thoroughly overwhelming that justice cannot be done in words, photos, or video. Especially for a Duffy fan outside Japan, to stand in the Greeting Place and let yourself get wrapped up in its inviting, deep, comforting atmosphere must be a goal. You really have to promise yourself you'll try to make the trip someday.

Lost in Imagineering genius, you can really start to believe that everyone knows and loves Duffy as a matter of fact and course, all around the world. Of course every home has Duffy and Duffy is in everyone's favorite photos. And as you lose yourself in the experience of this "attraction," the world that exists where everyone is capable of non-cynically loving Duffy becomes real and inspiring. The idea that we could, collectively, rally around such a simple and gentle joy makes the world feel softer, time feel less separating and harsh. As you start to realize that you have nostalgia for a time that has not ever actually existed, you feel proud to note that what is happening with Duffy Done Right could not be any different than if it was under the careful stewardship of Walt Disney himself.

Knowing full well that no one could ever replace Mickey in "Uncle Walt's" heart, there is no doubt in your heart that Walt Disney would proudly see Duffy as storytelling and showmanship on a massive and multilayered scale. Duffy is, like Mickey once was and always continued to be to Walt, not a soulless corporate property to be mindlessly adored so that the company can print money. Rather, the characters we love are like living spirits who reflect back at us those qualities we project upon them so that they can in turn inspire us to develop, nurture, and refine more of those qualities in ourselves. What the Village Greeting Place does with time to bend reality by blending it with fantasy is truly remarkable. It is worth the trip just to go there and stand in line, stand in awe.*

Of course, it's not real. Duffy is not nearly a century old. Duffy is just coming up on ten, depending on whether you count from the US or Japanese "Disney Bear" launch, or whether, like me, you really think Duffy begins with the DisneySEA launch of the Duffy name and backstory. To my mind, there can be no question that "Disney Bear" neither aspired to be nor was capable of becoming what Duffy is today, although it could be reasonably argued that the Duffy approach and fan response were present in Japan from the very first launch of the Disney Bear in 2004. Personally, I believe Duffy's ten-year anniversary is actually next year.

I wish they would create a line of tenth anniversary merchandise, deeply contextualized within the spirit and aesthetic of the VGP, furthering the illusion of Duffy's 100-year history, expanding the details and deepening the fictional narrative. I strongly doubt my wish will come true, though. At nearly the same time as the Greeting Place, if memory serves, came the toxically intolerable "My Friend Duffy" show which takes a radically different and more puerile, asinine and vacuous approach. I find it utterly insipid, but it continues to be wildly popular, dumbing down the fandom and dampening Duffy's more powerful long-term potential one syrupy "D-U-F-F-Y!" at a time. While the instrumentation has charm and I'm confident the people who worked on it successfully produced what they set out to and were tasked to produce, the problem lies in the setting of such a course in the first place. Whoever felt that was the right vision should be immediately replaced on all projects with someone from the VGP team!^^

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but you remember what I said about "fresh fluff" and inspiration, right, rosymaplemoth? There are several new folks peeking out of lurky corners recently, and some who just jumped right into the center of the room. It's truly inspiring and I'm so glad all of us are here!

*If you do make it to the Greeting Place, don't be afraid to ask the friendly Cast Members to open the ropes if things are cordoned off; they are happy to let you look and explore^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 03-24-2014 at 03:35 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

So hard to pick!

I love the Duffy & Shellie May pumpkin lanterns they've done at Halloween. And the little bear sized "camera" and bag from last year's Spring Voyage.

Costume-wise, I love the latest plaid Cannery Clothing Co costumes. The plaid and retro 50s/60s look was the best yet. I also think the bears look awesome in plaid, so... Just wish I could've been able to afford them but I don't even spend that much on an outfit for myself!

Just about anything from TDS I love. Hong Kong Disneyland has gotten some cute Duffy items too like the custom name badges. As for the US parks... not much I'm really crazy over but really loving the new poncho that recently came out. The Sulley costume is probably my favorite of the character costumes so far.

DuffyD - Fabergé Eggs are gorgeous, and I'll have to check out the Duffy ones.
    I was really looking for any answer, and your post was very touching. I'll have to look that location up, as I have never seen photos of it (gasp).
    I hope more lurkers show up. I was pretty nervous about posting, but everybody here has been so nice!

Aimster - Halloween Duffy items are precious, I can easily see why those would top a list. I love the tiny Duffy and Shellie May dressed up like bats, especially.
    Also, teddy bears look great in plaid. Any teddy bear... but Duffy is an especially dapper bear, so I can see how he'd flaunt it.

• I Heart ShellieMay!

I would say my favorite items thus far are the Duffy/Shellie pumpkin lanterns and the cat Halloween costumes (Duffy's was from a few years ago and Shellie's was last year). I absolutely love Halloween so every year I just can't wait to see what they will come up with for the bears and Cape Cod.

I really just love anything Duffy/Shellie that comes out of TDS. There are things that I like better than others but there is really nothing that I can say is ugly or low quality.

• Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

My ultimate favourite would have to be my original Duffy and ShellieMay I got on my first trip to Spring Voyage in Tokyo…..and I really love ShellieMay's Spring Voyage 2013 costume- I wish I could get one
    The Duffy Pyjamas are too cute, and I love my little 12" pumpkin halloween Duffy. Everything is too cute - specially if it's from TDS or HKD.

I can't just pick one so I will attempt to pick per category.

Costume: the TDS Christmas Caroling costumes from 2012(?). These had Duffy and Shellie wearing Victorian style tartan outfits. I chose this one because DH and I wear Scottish Victorian costumes (he in full kilt!) to our local Dickens Faire every year (like Renaissance Faire but themed to Victorian London instead). The bears look like they want to come along and would totally fit in as part of the "family"!

Costume Accessory: The Duffy and Shellie head Halloween lanterns - These are just too cool. 'Nuff said.

Bag/Tote: My MiraCosta ShellieMay duffle - DuffyD helped me purchase this from auction in Japan. I love it not only because it is so special and exclusive but also because it is a symbol of our friendship.

Miscellaneous: The koa wood postcard from Aulani showing Duffy rowing an outrigger canoe with the resort in the background - Hawaii is my favorite place on Earth (I want to retire there some day) and koa is a prized wood from the Islands. This one item combines my love of Hawaii, Disney, and the most special of bears.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post

I can say that I love these Fabergé Eggs that are coming! I have wanted an egg like that for a long time and it will be a joy to have something Duffy that is just so crafted and gorgeous. But then, that's par for the course for Duffy; I just thought of a LOT of other things I'd list equally. Nope, with merchandise it's impossible.
    I haven't been on for a while. so if this has been mentioned before, I totally missed it! Can you tell me more about these? Which park/s will have them, and when? Is it another Arribas Brothers thing?

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Thumbs up Re: What is your ultimate FAVORITE Duffy and/or Shellie May?

Abyssinian, the Eggs are for SV14. Scroll down to the end of THIS POST.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Abyssinian, the Eggs are for SV14. Scroll down to the end of THIS POST.
    Oh, Lord! They just had to be the PWP items for the expensive restaurants, didn't they? The lanyard clips from last year still haunt me...

I'm just glad you mentioned them...maybe my contact will want a fancy meal I would have missed them if you hadn't mentioned them, so thanks!

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Glad I could help you and your contact. Good thing I saved you from missing them.^^

Oh, it's a good thing I missed those earlier! Lol