Thread: 12" Duffys

12" Duffys

Hi All,

I currently live with a Duffy and a Shellie May both of whom are 17" and I am considering adding a 12" to our hug. I've noticed many come already costumed - are the clothes removable/changeable? I'm thinking a 12" might be slightly easier for me to take traveling this summer and besides, can there ever be too many Duffys really?? 12" owners please chime in!

tia,

Paula

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: 12" Duffys

You can cut the costumes off most of the 12" Duffys if you're really careful. I have 11 of the 12" Duffys but I've kept the costumes on all of them but my WDW 40th Anniversary one. The hoodie he wears just comes off so that made things really easy. My mom cut the costume off her 12" Valentine/Cupid Duffy she got in 2011.

Just be aware that most Build A Bear clothes are a bit too big for 12" Duffy though.

Thanks, Aimster. Do you end up taking your 12" Duffys out more often than your other Duffys? Do you find they travel better?

Paula

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

My 12" Duffys stay home. I take my 17" one with me when we visit the parks or whatever. He's the one I've had the longest.

• I love that tiny bear!

I like to sew for my bears (and I like that I have to, because it saves me money!). So while most of the non-17" Duffies are a bit of a challenge to dress, I like that aspect.

12" Duffy is my favorite size for carrying and hugging! I bought 3 of the 2011 (?) bears with a really homely hoodie when they were on clearance for like $10. The hoodie slipped right off. He can be hard to dress; I know the Duffy sailor outfit is pretty big on a 12" bear...it looked OK to me in person but looking at photos, wow, that's big.

He can technically fit into some American Girl clothes like shorts and shirts (and yes, dresses...sorry, Duffy!). He is not as poseable as the 17" bears, though some people can get some great photos out of him. It can be difficult to make him sit properly, but he's very easy to carry around. These clothes were made with (roughly) American Girl patterns...the T-shirt turned out a bit tighter than I liked, and I THINK I had to shorten the pants.

I also love my "SS" sized Smiling Shellie May. She is ridiculously photogenic (more so than the 12" Duffy, I think) and she has beans in her bottom so she sits and poses much easier. She is noticeably smaller than 12" Duffy, but she is proportioned differently as well. As much as I love her, she is actually just SLIGHTLY smaller than I think is the very perfect size. But she is so delightful! I'd say she could be a bit harder to dress than 12" Duffy because I can't think of any clothes that will fit her, though she might fit into very short American Girl shorts (her legs are very, very short). Tops should be kind of OK, but her torso is also short...

There are pre-dressed 9" bears at the parks sometimes, which are smaller than the SS bears. I assume their clothes are not easy to remove, but they'd be nicely portable.

Going down the line, the 8" Duffy they had at the Disney Store for a while is a great size if you need someone who can fit in a large purse or a jacket pocket. He is easy to dress because he fits the small bear clothes at Build-a-Bear (they used to be called Smallfrys; now I think they're Build-a-Bear Buddies). I haven't been able to make him sit without using a rubber band.

And of course the tiny magnet and keychain bears are adorable (and the magnet bears are quite poseable).

Eeee-va, thank you! Those are some adorable pictures and lucky bears to have you as their keeper. Wonderful tips, too - I'd never considered AG clothes as a possibility! I do have the small 8" Duffy, and you are right in that it is difficult to get him to sit - again, great idea with the rubber band. I've also found some of the Build a Bear small fry clothing to tight to allow him movement. I'll look at the new line though. What does the SS refer to with your Smiling Shellie?

• I love that tiny bear!

Thank you!

I only have 2 Smallfrys outfits for my 8" Duffy (one of which I think was later labeled Buddies)--it seems the shirts are a touch too big (they are SO CUTE though!) but I've had no major trouble with the pants, though they always look to me like they will be too small. If Japan ever makes an 8" Shellie May and I get one, my budget is a goner, because there are SO MANY great girl clothes in that line. My 8" Duffy has probably racked up more coaster credits than all my other bears combined, as he fits handily into my interior jacket pocket, so he's the one I've taken to Cedar Point and Universal Orlando, where you (rightfully) can't carry things onto roller coasters. Yet he is big enough that I'm not worried he'll fall out like I would be with the magnet bears.

"SS" is the size Tokyo DisneySea lists for the smiling bears in Japan. The "S" size Duffy/Shellie May are the 17" ones, so "SS" must stand for...super small? Small smiling? I don't know. I don't like the term "SS" so I usually just call her my Smiling Shellie May (or possibly "Small Smiling Shellie May").

買„Ÿ„!‚ƒš‚ƒƒ‚ƒƒ‚ | ƒŸƒƒ‚*ƒとƒ€ƒƒƒ•‚ƒの‚ƒ—ƒƒ‚ƒ ‚ƒƒƒ‚ | 東京ƒ‡‚‚ƒ‹ƒ‚ƒ | 東京ƒ‡‚‚ƒ‹ƒƒ‚ƒƒˆ currently shows the "SS" Shellie May for 2014; I guess the corresponding Duffy must be sold out or close to it.

• I Heart ShellieMay!

Eeee-va, can I just say again how obsessed I am with smiling Shellie's Anna costume?! Was it fairly easy to make? I would love my Shellie to have an Anna costume when I finally get her.

• I love that tiny bear!

You are so sweet, Boog! I thought the outfit was easy to make, yes. (But I love making character costumes.) I'm pretty sure I failed at keeping track of patterns AGAIN, and the bodice came out so big I had to sew some tucks into it to make it smaller (which kind of made it cute so I shouldn't complain). But if you have any questions on the sewing I'd be happy to try to answer.

In the unlikely event I make another, I will let you know. (I still owe a friend another kind of dress for the plushie I made her...it was a birthday present...and her birthday was in March... )

• Minion

I have the 9" Santa Duffy, and I removed the outfit. The shirt was easy enough because it wasn't sewn on, but the hat required a bit of precision cutting. Still doable though, and it slips back on easily.

Finding clothes for him however is proving to be even more difficult than finding stuff for my 12 inchers, but I'm working on it.