Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My possibly fake shellie may? Help me please

Hello! My name is Alyssa and recently, after much contemplation, purchased what I believed to be was a Shellie May. Upon arrival, I was absolutely in love with her and thought she was stunning! However, as I logged onto instagram and glanced at DuffyDiaries Shellie May, I realized the difference between the one they received and the one I had received. I'm hoping it isn't a counterfeit because I paid nearly $40.00 for the bear but I have a feeling that my money was wasted. Please, if you could all help me, that would be greatly appreciated...
    Name:  image_zps39af3397.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  107.8 KB
    The Tag...
    Name:  69eb2386-d59a-4382-8481-16c7345d647a_zps26da624b.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  63.4 KB
    Side View...
    Name:  54809d66-9a9a-4a22-80f4-3d30561fa21d_zps77070ea2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  178.4 KB
    Front...
    Name:  968f7e37-4332-4a1d-b592-078714d1579a_zps376a5e37.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  133.2 KB
    Back...
    Name:  6740c462-25d8-4382-85c0-b5938e9edfc7_zpsda3e0165.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  171.4 KB
    Mickey print...
    Name:  22f7af63-8e76-48e3-8fb0-331434555613_zpsd30bf5b8.jpg
Size:  204.5 KB
    Foot Print...
    Name:  cfa34adf-6c98-469f-afee-b0918eab3d4a_zpsdb94a84b.jpg
Size:  248.1 KB
    Front view...

And for comparison sakes, I decided to take a picture of her with my beloved Duffy that I purchased from California Adventure last year during my Christmas vacation. Note: her skirt and panties don't contain the official Shellie Tag which leads me to believe she's fake as well as the bow lacking the stripes and elastic band.
    Name:  8ffd8aa9-71aa-4c5b-bbe4-0ec4b17c975a_zps9578ac84.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  229.7 KB

Thank you all so much and I'd truly appreciate if you could help me out as a first time Shellie May buyer. I unfortunately am unable to get my money back so I'd appreciate it if you could suggest me some 'Official' Shellie May Sellers or where I can buy another other than ebay.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: My possibly fake shellie may? Help me please

Those eyelashes are WAY too long and her face doesn't look right. What does the hang tag look like? Is it on textured/ribbed paper or is it smooth? And the leg tag should say "Made in Vietnam" not China (though they have used China in the past, they haven't for a while for the bears) and the font doesn't look right either (just looked at the tag on my authentic Shellie May).

I think you got duped. If you got her off ebay I would report that seller for selling counterfeit items. Ebay can be good about helping you get your money back in cases like that if the seller says in the listing it's authentic/genuine and it turns out not to be. Good luck.

Thank you so much for the quick response, I truly appreciate your input. As soon as I got her home, that is when my suspicions were raised. I definitely noticed that her eyelashes were not only long but off colored as well as her nose which as I have seen is a dark brown color on authentic shellie may bears.

The tag is on a textured paper and although I didn't take a picture of it-her tags were way smaller than the Duffy bear I purchased and the other Shellie Mays I have seen. I'm pretty sure I've been duped unfortunately.

I contacted the seller and reported him for counterfeit items in which he responded 'I got her from Hong Kong Disneyland, she is a first edition' which I have no idea what that means. I didn't know Hong Kong Disney sold shellie may bears!

Do you know any sellers whom provide AUTHENTIC shellie may bears. It is far too much work to send her back-so I'm just going to keep her and have my mother whom is very nifty with a sewing needle, make adjustments to her. She won't be authentic but will be decent until I can get another one.

Thank you, thank you, thank you again for taking the time to review my case!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yes, like Aimster said, the eyelashes give it away most obviously. And the fact that the bow isn't striped and the skirt doesn't have tags. Frankly though, I'm so amazed at how close these fake bears are getting to looking authentic. It's such a strange thing to me to go to such effort. I mean I can't imagine there is THAT much demand for fake bears, compared to say, Nike shoes.

Oh, and the seller's response is bogus. Hong Kong Disneyland has never sold ShellieMay. No other Disney park except Tokyo DisneySea officially sells her. Disneyland Paris had her for a special event and were given to select guests at the event, but none were actually sold to guests. So, to say she's a "first edition" from Hong Kong sends red flags because that's completely false.

Unfortunately, my rule of thumb for Ebay auctions is to avoid buying anything from sellers in China. Although there is official HKDL Duffy merchandise...But when it comes to ShellieMay, if the seller is in China...avoid it. Try to find sellers in Japan, or join in on a future DuffyPost and get an authentic ShellieMay from DuffyDaisuki, who will pick one for you from TDS.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah the "Oh it's from Hong Kong" line is totally not true. They've NEVER sold Shellie May there. I'd contact the seller again and tell them you know they're lying. Escalate if you have to and get Ebay involved as well as they can investigate and if necessary ban that seller for selling counterfeit items.

Yea-the pictures totally fooled me and me being completely naive about the shellie May market ordered it on impulse! I regret it now but im happy that I have a place where others can give me advice on what to do. Thank you all so much for your responses! ��❤️

• Pals: Bart and Duffy

DDW, it is a shame that you got duped. You should see if eBay can get you your money back though. On the other hand, the bear does need to be loved and I am happy that you are willing to love her regardless of her origins.
    ILG

Definitley willing my mom is pretty nifty with a sewing needle-so far she has fixed her nose and is currently working on removing the eyelashes. I also removed a bit of the stuffing because she was poorly stuffed! Poor thing looked as though she were about to combust. So, although she won't be authentic, the dear will do until I'm able to buy another. ❤️�� thank you so much for your kind comments and advice. Updates will be in the process!

Sorry to hear about your bad eBay experience! The seller listed in the Newbie Shellie May Question thread is a trusted seller.

Newbie - Shellie May Question

Thank you so much! <3 I truly appreciate you taking the time in linking me to a seller! I've heard great things about her-definitely going to buy from her. I'll keep you guys updated!

• I Heart ShellieMay!

I'm so sorry to hear about your fake Shellie. The first thing that stood out to me were those lashes like the other members said but she actually looks pretty good from the pictures. It's such a shame that we have to worry about fake bears.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Sad Re: My possibly fake shellie may? Help me please

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamsWishes View Post
    Thank you so much for the quick response, I truly appreciate your input. As soon as I got her home, that is when my suspicions were raised. I definitely noticed that her eyelashes were not only long but off colored as well as her nose which as I have seen is a dark brown color on authentic shellie may bears…

…I contacted the seller and reported him for counterfeit items in which he responded 'I got her from Hong Kong Disneyland, she is a first edition' which I have no idea what that means. I didn't know Hong Kong Disney sold shellie may bears!…
    Shellie's nose is gray, not brown. It's like a stormy sky. It should be cloth-covered, not just plastic. The stripes on the now and skirt vary in prominence, even in Tokyo, but are always present. The material of both should be textured, canvas or thin burlap. I have often seen fakes that are more like (best) smooth linen or (very obvious) pillowcase cotton.

I am shocked at the way the seller doubled down into just bold-faced lying; that's disgusting! And every person who gets "Shellie" from him and doesn't notice has a false impression and experience of the character — because the product is the character for these bears. It is infuriating. Somehow, years ago, when I clearly imagined this future moment (we're not all the way there yet) when everyone in the world would know and love Duffy, this counterfeiting phenomenon just never entered my mind.

Like gurgi, I am just baffled at the constant refinement in pursuit of making fakes. Duffy and ShellieMay bears are certainly not "cheap," but they're not so expensive that I imagine a lot of people really wanting them who are simply unable to afford authentic ones. And it's not like these fakes are being sold at lower prices anyway — it's just a scam.

It makes me so angry, considering how much work it is to run the Post; especially waking up before the sun to fight crowds, dealing with sold-out items and restock schedules. It is very important to me to directly support The Oriental Land Company and Tokyo DisneySEA, so that they are motivated and inspired to keep raising the bar. Seeing these counterfeiters profiting love-and-license-free by distributing an inauthentic experience to unsuspecting potential Duffy fans all over the world just makes me crazy… I can't imagine there's even a significant amount of money in it; I just don't see the point. All they're doing is stealing money from artists and ruining the experience of fans. Why bother?

• Minion

So sorry this happened to you. It's never ok when this kind of thing happens, and I hope you do get your authentic Shellie May. But I'm glad you can still find a place in your heart and home for this cute bear even though she's counterfeit. When it comes to the bears in a teddy bear family, the more the merrier I always say.

Thank you much <3 I appreciate your kind words

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    Shellie's nose is gray, not brown. It's like a stormy sky. It should be cloth-covered, not just plastic. The stripes on the now and skirt vary in prominence, even in Tokyo, but are always present. The material of both should be textured, canvas or thin burlap. I have often seen fakes that are more like (best) smooth linen or (very obvious) pillowcase cotton.

I am shocked at the way the seller doubled down into just bold-faced lying; that's disgusting! And every person who gets "Shellie" from him and doesn't notice has a false impression and experience of the character — because the product is the character for these bears. It is infuriating. Somehow, years ago, when I clearly imagined this future moment (we're not all the way there yet) when everyone in the world would know and love Duffy, this counterfeiting phenomenon just never entered my mind.

Like gurgi, I am just baffled at the constant refinement in pursuit of making fakes. Duffy and ShellieMay bears are certainly not "cheap," but they're not so expensive that I imagine a lot of people really wanting them who are simply unable to afford authentic ones. And it's not like these fakes are being sold at lower prices anyway — it's just a scam.

It makes me so angry, considering how much work it is to run the Post; especially waking up before the sun to fight crowds, dealing with sold-out items and restock schedules. It is very important to me to directly support The Oriental Land Company and Tokyo DisneySEA, so that they are motivated and inspired to keep raising the bar. Seeing these counterfeiters profiting love-and-license-free by distributing an inauthentic experience to unsuspecting potential Duffy fans all over the world just makes me crazy… I can't imagine there's even a significant amount of money in it; I just don't see the point. All they're doing is stealing money from artists and ruining the experience of fans. Why bother?
    I completely agree with everything you just said. Thank you for responding and pouring your heart into it. I truly appreciate your information and concern. I wish they would just stop making fakes-it is absolutely pointless!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast