Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Felice Natale!

Ciao, Gelatoni! Debut+Shopping Info

Ciao, Gelatoni!

One day while visiting Italy on their spring voyage, Duffy and Mickey were
    out for a stroll while Minnie and ShellieMay did some shopping. Suddenly...

"Oh no! My gelato!" cried Duffy, as his sweet treat plopped to the ground.

"Va bene, don't worry," said the grey tuxedo cat in the bright blue beret.
    "Ciao! I'm Gelatoni." And the funny little cat dipped his tail in the
    melting gelato and began painting with it. Duffy smiled and said,
    "Buongiorno! I'm Duffy. Nice to meet you."

"I wanna paint, too!" Duffy cheered.
    "Certamente, Duffy! Let's paint together!"
    replied Gelatoni.

After they finished, the two new friends happily exchanged their masterpieces.
    "Let's play again sometime!" they both agreed.

*As usual, I have indulged quite a bit in localizing the story, adding Italian and transitions to make a smoother, more charming narrative. I hope you enjoy it.

I'll start with the shopping info now, since I know a lot of folks are interested. There's no way I can have your cash in three days, so let's say D-day is about two days, by 11:59 PM on 7/2, Tokyo time. I'll plan to shop next Wednesday or Friday, depending on PayPal. Existing Tanabata WishListers may choose to combine shipping, but Tanabata items canNOT be added at this time. It's too late and too risky now. So, let's take a look at the new stuff for Gelatoni:

GT14 Plush ¥3900

GT14 Badge ¥1500

GT14 Strap ¥1300

GT14 Coin/Pass Case ¥1700

GT14 6-color Pen ¥850

GT14 Memo Set ¥450

GT14 Clear Folder ¥360

GT14 Shopping Bag ¥650

GT14 Tote ¥3600

GT14 Souvenir Cup ¥920
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-30-2014 at 11:13 PM.

• Felice Natale!

Re: Ciao, Gelatoni! Debut+Shopping Info

FANTASTIC images from the preview event HERE!!! Does he not have a hip Mickey??

MORE great images!

Also, I really wanna migrate the Gelatoni conversation to this thread because I think the title here is more specific and the previous one was more for unnamed speculation before Tony was revealed. So I'm moving my replies from that other thread to this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Boog1981 View Post
    He's cute! I don't know if there's any more room in my bank account for a new Disney friend...
    ...Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Boog1981 View Post
    I wonder if he will be more of a stand-alone (I would doubt it since he's labeled as Duffy's friend) or if he will be with the bears most of the time. Anything OLC does is wonderful to me so I'm sure he won't disappoint.
    I wonder this, too. His grey/pink color scheme really makes me think of Shellie, so I guess they'll be good friends when they meet. I'm also relieved he's not actually black as I worried it would be "too much" like Figaro. I thought they'd have to change something, but didn't guess grey. Grey is good. I like the design a lot, and I like that he's a cat and a boy. I that he's an artist and I adore his beret (though he needs a felt palette too!).

I like his story more with my embellishments; I strongly feel it is a missed opportunity that he was not specifically, canonically connected to Spring Voyage. Considering the timing of the release, it would've been nice to actually make his introduction the central theme this year, and let this year be the finale. That energy would have been far more potent than just dropping him between events.

I'll definitely buy the plush, and probably the tote and also probably the strap (not badge) because that pose looks so wonderful on this character! I love the design! I know who I think he is and I like my vision so I'll buy that, but I'm still not sure I understand what OLC/Disney are doing or what their intention is for this character. This makes me a little nervous because based on their version of the story and my version, I'm not sure they'll take Gelatoni where I'd wanna go. With ShellieMay, these doubts disappeared the moment we saw her, because her intention (and necessity) was instantly clear.

Shellie filled a real need: Duffy genuinely benefits from having an equal counterpart to make it clear that he is NOT Mickey's "sidekick" or "prop," and she has added significantly to the Cape Cod atmosphere. Plus, fans passionately wanted a "girl bear" and her existence made it unmistakably clear that Duffy is a boy. Nothing about Shellie turned out to be gratuitous. Sure, they pull in double the money in outfits now, but they also put out double the great work, and both bears very clearly - absolutely - matter. Gelatoni seems to come out of nowhere for no discernible reason; it'll be interesting to see where this goes. I hope I either really love what they do or they don't do too much and leave it up to me. That would actually be pretty awesome, too, like Duffy used to be.

I do wish his name was Gelatonio so that it was more clearly masculine, and also the "-nio" would sound a little like "nyao" which is the sound a cat makes in Japanese and "niau" which means "That style looks great on you!" I think this was, again, an unfortunate missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    It appears that Gelatoni's tail might be hold a pose. (Unless someone already did a modification of the plush!)

https://twitter.com/DancingPooh22/st...823168/photo/1
    I instantly love him more if this is true, but I'm not sure that pose couldn't be achieved wirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    He reminds me of my Loki:

I'm excited. I want a plush. I don't see it as diluting Duffy's brand.
    I don't know that it's diluted yet, but I'm not sure what Gelatoni adds that the bears couldn't do themselves. My bears both paint. Why do we need Gelatoni rather than a full-sized TippyBlue or the other supporting characters from the Cape Cod Gang? It just seems a bit odd to introduce him this way. But he reminds me of my own cat, too (though except being different shades of grey there are no similarities!), and like I said I that he's an artist! I will definitely have him, definitely love him, but I'm not sure I want lots of Duffy things stretched beyond Cape Cod.

Without some particular reason for being, Gelatino makes me wonder about having a plush for each of the other five ports, too. Would I like that? Perhaps if each was one time only and it was clearly organized as an event. Random and all the time, and I start to wonder why. Also, it does kind of cause a problem that he has Duffy and Shellie's signature pawprints, but he wasn't created by Minnie (although it is still my contention that living plush are animated by Duffy magic, not Minnie magic - Minnie is a medium, not a source^^). Is he even a plush, or a real cat? It does sort of create issues in Duffy's narrative that seem to be ignored as irrelevant, something I don't expect from the tightly on-point Duffy design team. I like him, but if this is just some kind of a test to see if I'm a sheep who will buy any plush put out with Mickey pawprints, then, no, I kinda don't like him as much. The design is impeccable, though. Tony and Shellie, especially, are just made for each other! I can't wait to see her reaction to him!
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 06-30-2014 at 09:39 PM.

• Munchings & Crunchings

I agree with everything you said, DuffyD, as usual. I like his story (and your additions much more), and it's a cute introduction...without the Mice...well, Mickey is at the end, and the subject of Duffy's painting, but still. I'd also like an official explanation on the Mickey marks on Gelatoni's paws. And...maybe the fact that he doesn't have a Mickey butt mark means he is a real cat? Although the mark is not officially explained in Duffy's TDS story either.

I think GT's design is adorable, especially his expressive eyes. And his long tail with the paintbrush tip. The plush is very cute, although the seams on the back seem very visible on the picture that blog posted... Also, I wonder how his beret is attached? I couldn't see any elastic band.

And, finally, although this is a merchandise push, I'm happy that they are starting small, and the release is fairly manageable. I hope it stays that way, because now with a third character, it's going to stretch everyone's wallets very thin. If he gets equal costume releases and special event goods, it's going to be especially crazy. And, since he very obviously lives in Mediterranean Harbor, they can't tie in the Cape Cod themed goods to him...so he'll have to have an independent line that matches his theme, and I REALLY hope OLC keeps it to a minimum.

• Felice Natale!

Thumbs up Re: Ciao, Gelatoni! Debut+Shopping Info

Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    ...I'd also like an official explanation on the Mickey marks on Gelatoni's paws.
    Yes. Thankfully, there is definitely more coming. Hopefully it's a full-fledged storybook or something that enriches the character. It kinda sounds like it may be some kind of "experience event" walking around the Mediterranean Harbor area, which would fit in with what they've done so far:

And...maybe the fact that he doesn't have a Mickey butt mark means he is a real cat? Although the mark is not officially explained in Duffy's TDS story either.
    I think it can be safely assumed that in Duffy's and Shellie's cases, Minnie added them because she liked them, so the idea that he doesn't have it because he's a real cat works for me, and I like that they're on his forepaws, too. Now, we just have to wonder if there's a reason this cat is special or if that design element is just up for grabs now. In the case of the latter, I do actually find this to dilute the brand. With TippyBlue, it didn't bother me because he lives in Cape Cod, so I thought it was just part of the Cape Cod aesthetic. But if we're just Mickeypawing any old character now, that kinda corrupts Duffy's iconography and I don't like it...even if the result is undeniably adorable.

I think GT's design is adorable, especially his expressive eyes. And his long tail with the paintbrush tip. The plush is very cute, although the seams on the back seem very visible on the picture that blog posted... Also, I wonder how his beret is attached? I couldn't see any elastic band.
    His eyes are WONDERFUL! And that tail! Oh, I wish I knew how to get the animation effect from HappinessCam off my phone so that I could post it! It's REALLY great!

But I thought exactly the same thing looking at the seams on the back. My only reassurance is that the bears look MUCH more "seamy" on the official site photos than they do in reality. Still, that's a blog post, so it's more worrisome. It does seem especially odd, if he's a real cat, that his seams would be so prominent. I wonder about the beret, too. If it's not elastic, I'll be disappointed honestly...but I don't see any either.

And, finally, although this is a merchandise push, I'm happy that they are starting small, and the release is fairly manageable. I hope it stays that way, because now with a third character, it's going to stretch everyone's wallets very thin. If he gets equal costume releases and special event goods, it's going to be especially crazy. And, since he very obviously lives in Mediterranean Harbor, they can't tie in the Cape Cod themed goods to him...so he'll have to have an independent line that matches his theme, and I REALLY hope OLC keeps it to a minimum.
    Hm...I'm really torn between wanting a little more of him so that he deserves to exist, and wanting him to be a friend we occasionally visit in Mediterranean Harbor but don't see too often. Mediterranean Harbor is small and elegant. I hope those frescoes aren't staying up forever and I hope that area isn't about to be "cutesy-fied." Now that Tony's here, though, I kinda want a friend in each of the other Ports of Call, too. And then an event with all of them. But such a vision sounds even more like it would've worked much better tied clearly to Spring Voyage. It would've deepened the meaning and context of Spring Voyage as a whole, too, so whatever OLC does, the roots of this character will always be Spring Voyage for me, which, for me, validates him. But then I at least kinda want an Arabian Coast friend, too, so it makes sense. Here, Disney, just go ahead and take ALL my money...

• Munchings & Crunchings

I meant to comment on the Mickey marks on all of Gelatoni's paws, It's more like a real cat, with the cute, pink pawpads. I do agree about them adding Mickey marks for the sake of it. I like that his paws are different from Duffy's though. And...I think it will be a little harder to share costumes with him, but not impossible.

The beret seems like a natural thing for OLC to make removable, especially for future hats. Unless they've figured out a new way of attaching it to him, or the elastic is just so well hidden. It's like ShellieMay's bow. At first you can't tell that the bow isn't sewn to her head when you see the plush sitting on shelves, but it's a pleasant surprise when you realize it's removable.

And, although I agree with you about having introduced him during Spring Voyage, I'm also a little glad they didn't do that, because there would have been much more merchandise. I remember ShellieMay's debut during Sweet Duffy, and she was included on everything, in addition to having two costumes at launch. So, the fact that Gelatoni's debut isn't tied to an event makes my wallet a little happier. But, story-wise, yeah, it's a missed opportunity.

And...yes, I do hope he doesn't really intrude too much on the atmosphere of Mediterranean Harbor, it's difficult because it's the entrance area, and you really shouldn't have it congested. And adding characters to each land might be a possibility, but I wonder if they are doing this because there isn't a major one there already. Sure, the Pinocchio gang calls it home, but in artwork, they are usually not represented. Unlike Arabian Coast and Mermaid Lagoon who have Genie and Ariel respectively. Although AC also has Chandu...Lost River Delta, Mysterious Island, and Port Discovery don't have any specific character though, and those could be really fun to think about.

Oh, and one thing that I do like about the whole Gelatoni introduction is that it re-establishes Duffy's traveling. He's very obviously still adventuring, and meeting new friends. That's important to his story I think, and is somewhat missing from his US counterpart.

His slogan at the end of his story matches Duffy and Shellie too. Although closer to the English version.

Duffy TDS story slogan: "Can you think of a new adventure for you and Duffy?"
    Duffy US story slogan: "Where will you take your Duffy?"
    ShellieMay TDS story slogan: "You can be friends with Duffy and ShellieMay too!"
    Gelatoni TDS story slogan: "What will you paint with Gelatoni?"

Although for both Duffy and ShellieMay, the back of their books say "The Bear of Happiness and Luck". I wonder if Gelatoni will have a similar slogan? "The Cat of Friendship and Imagination"? LOL.

• Felice Natale!

...Although for both Duffy and ShellieMay, the back of their books say "The Bear of Happiness and Luck". I wonder if Gelatoni will have a similar slogan? "The Cat of Friendship and Imagination"? LOL.
    I like it, but I kinda doubt it. "Bear of Happiness and Luck" existed alongside "Disney Bear," but truly it served as a distinction. To my knowledge, the US has never used it, and I don't imagine they want to draw attention to it.

"A Disney Friend of Duffy" is gonna be it, I think. Look at that again: "A Disney Friend of Duffy." "A," not "the." Not "Duffy's Disney Friend." I imagine more may be coming... I hope they're not thinking of making a "Disney Friends of Duffy" brand, endlessly churning out plush and costumes. I would not support that. But Duffy being dropped from the Disney Stores in the US strongly suggests that consumers won't support it, either, so there's probably nothing to worry about.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Yes, I noticed the "A" Disney Friend thing, and wondered. What if it's like UniBEARsity, where they release different plush and then retire them? So, Gelatoni won't be available forever? Although...his setting seems permanent. I am really not sure I like the idea of a whole line of "friends" for Duffy. It just gets so cluttered, and he loses focus. Especially if each land starts doing it's own theme for each character.

Also, where exactly, is the Gelatoni merchandise going to be sold? I'm sure Mediterranean Harbor, but are they also planning on McDuck's and Aunt Peg's? That would be...interesting to have him sold in Cape Cod and New York.

• Felice Natale!

Question Re: Ciao, Gelatoni! Debut+Shopping Info

Yes, I noticed the "A" Disney Friend thing, and wondered. What if it's like UniBEARsity, where they release different plush and then retire them? So, Gelatoni won't be available forever? Although...his setting seems permanent. I am really not sure I like the idea of a whole line of "friends" for Duffy. It just gets so cluttered, and he loses focus. Especially if each land starts doing it's own theme for each character.

Also, where exactly, is the Gelatoni merchandise going to be sold? I'm sure Mediterranean Harbor, but are they also planning on McDuck's and Aunt Peg's? That would be...interesting to have him sold in Cape Cod and New York.
    That's kind of like what I was thinking, a different one every year or season or something, and then a "party" event (during a major anniversary year) with all of them available for the last time. That's the only way I'd like it, but I'm still not sure I'd like it. Shellie clearly adds something, and she also only makes Duffy more central, with no distraction from him. Shellie literally exists because of Duffy, and could not exist without him. Gelatoni pops out of thin air, but he must have a history, a backstory. Unlike ShellieMay, he apparently wasn't made just now.

Do those paw prints suggest that the magic Minnie tapped into was active in many places around the world? Was it not actually something particularly special about Duffy OR Minnie's love? This raises many questions that before didn't require answers, but now seems potentially incoherent. It really is a shame if careful storytelling ceases to be a priority.

Also, I don't really love it if Gelatoni is a real cat instead of a plush, since that breaks the "product IS the character" feature of Duffy merchandise.

Wow, a lot to catch up on on! Duffy D, many thanks for posting all the details. The story is so cute and seems to fit well with Gelatoni! (I was telling my husband about him and he called him Rigatoni!!).
    In my opinion he seems to be a friend Duffy has made on his travels, so he can be a stand alone character but also part of the Duffy, Shellie May group - this then does lead to more friends from around the world - maybe instead of more costumes (other than holiday releases) they intend on expanding the group of characters? As has been said they could create a character for each port, maybe only keeping them in production for a limited period before introducing a new friend? There does have to be a limit though, you couldn't have a friend for each country world wide!
    I also am not sure about costumes for Gelatoni, the hat is cute and fitting but I don't think his story lends itself to multiple costumes and it's a bit weird in my mind that a cat wears clothes (also there is no outfit with this initial release).

Can I also just check the gratuity percentage and service charge? (just in case it's different due to the last minute timing of things)

Photos from Flickr

I just noticed the handle on the souvenir mug is Gelatoni's tail! That's too cute

Photos from Flickr

• Felice Natale!

Quote Originally Posted by Becx View Post
    I just noticed the handle on the souvenir mug is Gelatoni's tail! That's too cute
    I noticed the unusual shape, but not that it was his tail! You can see it clearly in the picture on the right, though. Thanks, Becx!

• I Heart ShellieMay!

I completely agree you with you, Becx, that I would find it odd for Gelatoni to have a whole seasonal wardrobe like the bears. Maybe they'll surprise me and it'll be amazing but I'm skeptical right now.

I definitely want to see him more as with the bears than off on his own. I don't really see him as being part of the Cape Cod crew though. I admit that I would rather have a line developed around one of the Cape Cod friends but my favorite is Mr. Gobble (name credit to Danimated) and I don't know how many folks out there (other than me) would want a plush turkey with a different outfit for each holiday!!!
    Last edited by Boog1981; 07-01-2014 at 09:15 AM.

I love Gelatoni and I love the italian artist theme. I like OLC adding more things to mediterranean harbor since is a beautiful port but has nothing except the gondolas. I've got my Gelatoni preordered, I think I'll try to wear him as a gondolier lol. Do you guys thing that Gelatoni is going to have his own costumes?

Gelatoni is so cute! What is the percentage and service fee for this shopping trip?

• You have much to learn...

I just wanted to double check- is this shopping day with all the usual service fees - the gratuity and service fees 1000 y and 500 y if below 10000 yen since there is limited merchandise avail.

I guess we were both posting around the same time above tink1223.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast