Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Let's share Gelatoni Photos!

Oh wow, those paint palettes look super cute.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They might be a little big, but I have friends in Japan who have been putting Duffy costumes on their Gelatonis. They've posted photos on their Facebooks.
    I've seen him in some Duffy outfits online, either with shorts or something like the Halloween Cat that can just swallow him and still be cute. BAB I tried myself. Here are the results:

Pants are at least the full hemline too long, and they're pulled up a bit high. The drawstring waist is not flattering, as will be even more apparent from behind. And the shirt is so huge that the entire design is ruined. The pocket is the most dramatic, but the neck and sleeve size, as well as the stripe pattern overall, all look messy and wrong. It's perhaps true that something in a solid color or less graphic print might look a bit better. And something like a bumblebee or dinosaur costume might work. But I think most of us, Aimster included, shop BAB for interesting daily wear outfits and as a general rule these are not at all universally going to fit.

Close-up with one leg folded, one not. Notice that you can't even see the bottom of the foot.

Here we can see how the pocket is really folded under his arm — I actually pulled it out to get this shot. You can also see that Gelatoni's tiny shoulders are gonna make anything like tank tops, vests, overalls, or these suspenders a real challenge.

From the back you can really see how the elastic suspenders force his shoulders to slump down (though they're actually around his "biceps") and the whole look is generally awful.

And here I've sacrificed other elements to even out the neck, but it's so big that it changes the style and overall impression of the design. It's too bad, because I had decided that this was the purr-fect outfit for Gelatoni, but it's impossible without extensive alteration. He's still super cute, though, right?

I do think BAB clothes would work better on him than official Duffy costumes though because most BAB animals are in the 15"-16" range and some things are a little small for Duffy since he's 17".
    I thought exactly the same thing before I actually tried clothes on him. I thought about all those BAB clothes I bought before OLC made something similar but better, and how my regret at wasting that money was going to be soothed. I was really excited; I have a lot of BAB stuff.

Turns out that just like humans, proportion and shape are at least as, but probably more important than height in determining quality fit. And BAB plush are not the same shape as Gelatoni at all. He is extremely petite, like a "starving artist," I guess.^^

It's all personal preference how you want to dress them. That's basically what it comes down to. There is no right or wrong way to do it.
    Of course this is absolutely true, and I sincerely hope no one had the impression that I was trying to be "right" or implying that you were "wrong," Aimster. I was just concerned that someone might think, "BAB clothes fit Duffy preeetty well, so if they fit Gelatoni even better, that's a slam dunk sure thing!" Cos, yeah, that's what I thought. But no. I just wanted to save someone my very deflating disappointment, particularly if they were a buy-first, try-later kind of shopper. Gelatoni should probably go with you to BAB for a while to try stuff out until there's a better feel for what exactly his size is.

BAB shoes are no way, no how. That's probly obvious, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    DuffyD chose the BEST Gelatoni for my friend...

...and for me! I made a tiny palette for him...

...and tried making some big Gelatoni-sized ones too!

Now to get to making felt paintbrushes...
    I'm so glad you're pleased, Eeee-va. I hope your friend is, too! I love the really round head on that little Strap. I ALL of those little guys…and I just now realize I forgot to take a group shot before I mailed them. I kept lining them up on the shelves, and I ultimately fell in love with every one of them. On the other hand, after looking through probly a hundred of the Badges, only two felt really "alive." I got the other one for myself.

And i I want one of those palettes, but you already knew that! Both sizes turned out fantastic!

Oops! Almost forgot! Gelatoni adopters may notice that my lil guy's head shape is much more on-model. I had already taken out my clear nylon thread, ready to sew those cheeks in place. But it turns out that the material is already constructed well; the fluff just needs to be redistributed. Try squishing his face with your fingertips at the base of his ears, your thumbs under and along his chin, until you get the desired result. You'll probly have to do it regularly for a while, but eventually it should "set," I reckon. I think it makes a world of difference versus the overly spherical shape he has fresh off the shelf.

PS: Is anyone else experiencing that MiceChat's clock is suddenly 15 minutes fast?
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 07-27-2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added cheek-sculpting tip!^^

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Maybe Gelatoni, being the way his size proportions are, just prefers to be naked.

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Maybe Gelatoni, being the way his size proportions are, just prefers to be naked.
    So far, that's my thoughts exactly. I'm curious what they've got planned for him at Halloween. The fact that they're intentionally staggering some of his items until over a month later and the holiday leads me to suspect a costume release. Since the bears are both in Gelatoni-inspired cat costumes, maybe he'll be a bear? I might honestly prefer it if Gelatoni doesn't have lots of costumes, though, honestly.

So last week we welcomed a new member into the household!

At first the bears weren't sure what to make of this package!

Name:  14757119271_f175de2000.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  54.9 KB

I had told them about the costumes (Tanabata) but they were wondering why that would be considered fragile?!

Name:  14573664029_d8ef49765c.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  53.2 KB

Hmmmmm, Duffy thought -that bag looks different, I don't remember seeing any cats before!

Name:  14573624840_ec0b2ab92e.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  14737315756_e59dae0873.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  55.2 KB

Then out popped a teenie tiny cat! Aww he’s cute, they thought! But why such a large bag?

Name:  14573668689_d199767004.jpg
Size:  63.3 KB

Little did they know Gelatoni had already sneaked out and was watching their puzzled expressions!

Hee hee, he said as he jumped in for a group photo!

Name:  14573628570_7986f2a797.jpg
Size:  63.6 KB

Here you go fella, Duffy handed Gelatoni his Happiness Year shades, welcome to the family! You’re gonna fit in well here! Both Shellie May and Duffy agreed Gelatoni was a great fit – he was full of beans and super playful!

Name:  14757148721_096cfc2bd5.jpg
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  14737326126_679d1e7a68.jpg
Size:  52.1 KB

Photos from Flickr

Duffy D - thanks for the illustration of how Build A Bear clothes fit - it's a shame Gelatoni's proportions are not quite right! I too love that outfit set, it seemed to me to be a little bit David Bowie inspired, his mid - late 70's Thin White Duke period!

Anyway, back on topic, I think for now I may have to create an outfit for Gelatoni myself! I shall have a rummage through my material box this weekend!

I loved the pallettes, such a simple yet effective idea!

I also noticed the clock thing! Weird!

And our Gelatoni has also been called Gelatini and Gelatino! (by my husband who often gets names mixed up!). I think we shall have to start calling him Toni to save confusion in our house!

Photos from Flickr

Eeee-va, I just wanted to add my appreciation for those paint palettes! Very creative. Very nice work!

Today my Gelatoni feels hipster

Name:  Captura de pantalla 2014-08-01 a las 20.35.24.png
Views: 251
Size:  219.3 KB

Me: OMG!
    My mom: oh! All that painting got him near-sighted!

Oh my goodness! Seeing all these photos makes me long for my own Gelatoni. Maybe during the Halloween shopping I may have to ask for one myself. =D

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

Lightbulb Re: Let's share Gelatoni Photos!

This should illustrate my point more clearly about UniBEARsity fitting Gelatoni purrfectly. Until now, I was only speculating; I hadn't actually seen it. But I was right:

I love that costume!

• Premium Passholder

I dressed my Gelatoni as Sulley so we could be match tomorrow for my Sulley DisneyBound. Like everyone previously observed, Duffy's costumes don't fit quite right. But I think it looks comical in an endearing way, like a little brother trying on an older sibling's clothes.

Name:  GelatoniSulleycosplay.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  177.4 KB

The Pirates of the Caribbean outfit fits pretty well on him. I think because it has the sword strap that wraps around the body. Name:  photo(2).JPG
Views: 122
Size:  119.1 KB

• Dolcetto o scherzetto?

CheshireKitteh, I like your explanation! And Hailsnail, that looks great! I think it's also because there are no pants and it's a coat with big cuffs so it doesn't look "wrong" that it's oversized. There are definitely options, and there's certainly no other standard than one's own preference.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast