View RSS Feed

Weekend Update

Tokyo Disneyland; New Zealand; Knott's Berry Farm; Vintage Post Cards

Rate this Entry
by , 04-09-2010 at 07:57 PM

Around the world we go again this week with the Weekend Update. ichigopara sent us a photo update for the Tokyo Disneyland Resort this week. I think you'll also enjoy the "out and about" photos that she added to her update. I am really enjoying these peeks at everyday life in Tokyo.

After begging forgiveness from Ian Parkinson, I will be finishing up his New Zealand photo series over the next few weeks. This week he takes us to Mount Manganui and Rotorua. As always, Ian's photos are postcard perfect!

We have some Knott's Berry Farm photos this week from CoasterMatt. Matt always manages to find stunning images in this grand old amusement park.

Finally, we go on a nostalgic trip to Fort Wilderness courtey of DisneylandPostcards.net.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Ichigopara brings us a Tokyo update including the Tokyo Disneyland Resort

Spring is a very busy time for everyone but here is a quick look at what's going on at Tokyo Disney Resort.

The new ticket center is open!

Easter is a very fun event!

The Disneyland Hotel has added a new street organ for atmosphere that was introduced on the 1st of the month.

Some decorations at the Disneyland Hotel

Wonderful Egg cocktail at the Dreamer's Lounge

At the cafe attached to the Sherwood Garden Restaurant they had really nice cafe sweets themed to Easter!

You could choose a design when you purchased a dessert!

I love the mad hatter hat design!!

Did not have so much time to be in the parks this week. I will take photo's of the parade and Spring Carnival at TDS next week.

Do you ever wonder how they make the cover art for DisneyFan magazine? At Ikspiari they had the magazine and the artwork for the cover on display.

At Tokyo station I ran cross the Meiji chocolate designed kiosk I had been meaning to see!! I was so excited! They have a giant souvenir Meiji chocolate bar you can buy!

I also checked out the Lisa & Gaspard and Penelope exhibit in Ginza!

Hope you all are enjoying spring!

Ian Parkinson's New Zealand

Mount Maunganui is a town in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand, located on a peninsula to the north of the neighboring city Tauranga, which Mount Maunganui fought fiercely during the 1950s to retain independence from, then failed with the completion of the harbour bridge in 1988. It is also the name of the extinct volcanic cone which rises above the town (which is now officially known by its Māori name Mauao). According to Maori legend, this hill was a pononga [slave] to a mountain called Otanewainuku. It is colloquially known in New Zealand simply as The Mount. The town itself is located on top of a sand bar that connects Mauao to the mainland, a geographical formation known as a tombolo. Because of this formation, the residents of Mount Maunganui are lucky enough to have both a harbor beach (Pilot Bay) and an ocean beach with great surf, within a short distance.

Rotorua (from Māori: Te Rotorua-nui-a-Kahumatamomoe, "The second great lake of Kahumatamomoe") is a city on the southern shores of the lake of the same name, in the Bay of Plenty region of the North Island of New Zealand.

Rotorua is a major destination for both domestic and international tourists; the tourism industry is by far the largest industry in the district. The city is known for its geothermal activity, and features geysers – notably the Pohutu Geyser at Whakarewarewa – and hot mud pools. This thermal activity is sourced to the Rotorua caldera, on which the city lies.

Knott's Berry Farm by Coaster Matt

CoasterMatt was kind enough to share some photos he took at Knott's Berry Farm a while back. He has a real talent for capturing some very special shots.

Calico Mine Train waterfall.

Stalactites inside the Mine Train ride.

Timber Mountain Log Ride.

Waterfalls along the way.

The Drop.

Mystery Lodge.

Pony Express.

Sky Cabin.

Silver Bullet.

The Barn.

Bird Cage Theater.

Camp Snoopy Clock.

Camp Snoopy Waterfall.

Goldie's Place.

Jaguar.

Gun and Knife Shop.

Judge Roy Bean's Hitchin' Post.

La Revolucion.

Our journey to the past his week, is to a childhood favorite of many
MiceChatters, Fort Wilderness on Tom Sawyer Island.

As always, many thanks to Ken Eslick of the Disneyland Postcard Reference Guide, who kindly allows us to borrow cards from his wonderful collection to show you folks. Please give Ken's site a look. There are few things more fun for a fan of Vintage Disneyland, than the treasures you will discover browsing his extensive collection.

DisneylandPostcards.net

All images, © The Walt Disney Company.

Werner Weiss of Yesterland.com describes what it was like, back in the day, with these words from the Tom Sawyer Island brochure from 1956.

FORT WILDERNESS

At the far end of Wilderness Road stands Fort Wilderness—the outpost of civilization. The time is the War of 1812…the United States flag has only 15 stars.
Within the gates there is a Canteen and Trading Post—stocked with pelts, guns, knives, and Indian craft.
In the Regimental Hdqrs., Davy Crockett and George Russell, U.S. Army Scouts, can be seen reporting to Maj. General Andrew Jackson during the Cherokee Indian Campaign.
From the parapets and block houses can be seen the vast untamed American wilderness…the deer, moose, bear and wildlife of the primitive forest.
Beyond the stockade are tepees…hostile Indians on the warpath. A settler’s cabin burns in the distance…mute evidence of a treacherous attack.
Werner has a great article and photos on Fort Wilderness at the Yesterland site.
Yesterland.com

The entrance to Frontierland.

Looking for up-to-date reports from Disneyland
including photos, gossip, park schedules and more?

Visit these MiceChat columns each week:

Every Monday: Dateline Disneyland

Every Friday: In the Parks

And that brings us to the end of another week. Our photographers have just enough time to reload their cameras before we see you all again next weekend. Thank you to all of our wonderful readers, and as always, a huge thank you to our amazing team of global photographers, spies, and gossips:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt (mousesteps.com)
SummerInFL
sir clinksalot
MickeyMaxx
CaptPhoebus
Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams
BigPigletFan
Abominable Snowman
Fishbulb
PhotoMatt
Jack Hollywood 1939 Wixom
Ken Eslick (DisneylandPostcards.net)
ichigopara

Special thanks to CoasterMatt for sharing his beautiful photos.

Your Editor - Rixter

It is readers like you who make MiceChat such a special place.

Don't miss a single one of MiceChat's Featured Blogs (including the Weekend Update). Add our feed to your favorite feed software or site:

Follow us on Twitter

Submit "Tokyo Disneyland; New Zealand; Knott's Berry Farm; Vintage Post Cards" to Digg Submit "Tokyo Disneyland; New Zealand; Knott's Berry Farm; Vintage Post Cards" to del.icio.us Submit "Tokyo Disneyland; New Zealand; Knott's Berry Farm; Vintage Post Cards" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tokyo Disneyland; New Zealand; Knott's Berry Farm; Vintage Post Cards" to Google

Updated 04-10-2010 at 09:35 AM by Weekend Update

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    • |
    Great Update! I love all the pictures!
    • |
    Great Update, I want to go to Knotts soo bad.
    • |
    Love the pictures from Tokyo and New Zealand!
    • |
    great update!
    • |
    Thanks for a great update!
    • |
    I love how muddy the water looks on the canoe postcard... what would have MiceChat fans said if there had been message boards back then?!?

Also like how much the Davy Crockett scene is so very similar too the peek-ins at Knotts.
    • |
    wow, TDR really is stunning isn't it! if DLP was half as good they wouldn't have any problem getting people to go there. is it the way they are financed that results in the disparity of quality?

awesome postcards again!
    • |
    Another great weekend update.
    • |
    Thanks for the update!
    • |
    Great job everybody!
    • |
    Thank you for another great update!
    • |
    I really love seeing the postcard shots, and how much the plants and trees have grown around Disneyland! Thanks, and keep 'em comming!
    • |
    TDL's desserts always look sooooo delicious!
    • |
    Love Knott's! Nice to have Knott's and DLR so close to each other. We are very lucky. Most areas of the country have ONE park somewwhere within a days drive. Here we have 6 world class parks (DL, DCA, Universal Hollywood, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Sea World San Diego, and Knott's Berry Farm) within 4 hours of driving distance! Numerous water parks too (Knott's and Magic Mountain each have one on property with separate admission). We are indeed very fortunate to have so much to choose from on our table. I never lose sight that it is indeed a blessing for us theme park nuts that we have a choice. I sometimes have a lousy week and need to "decompress" at a theme park and it is wonderful to have a choice. I love them all (yep, even SFMM now) and am thankful that they are all here in SoCal. Decisions, decisions...this article has made me want to go to Knott's tomorrow. It's been a few weeks since I was there. It's about time to go again. Thanks for the update. TDL looks beautiful. One of these days...
    Updated 04-10-2010 at 01:44 PM by Crazee4mm (clarity)
    • |
    TDL stuff looks amazing! So beautiful! I can't believe that mosaic!!
    • |
    Did anyone notice in the FL entrance post card how blue the water is?
    • |
    great update! Thanx
    • |
    Knott's pictures are Great.....
    Fort Wilderness post card so cool....
    miss be able to you in side the fort....
    It was sure fun when I was young.....
    Good weekend report thank's for shareing!
    • |
    Another wonderful update! Thank you everyone who works so hard on putting these together for us!
    • |
    Just amazing how much Disneyland has changed. Seeing the Fort Wilderness postcard and the lack of foliage is stunning enough.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast