View RSS Feed

Weekend Update

Tokyo Disney Wonderland; Star Wars Weekend; Freeform Walt Disney World

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
by , 05-28-2010 at 08:07 PM

What better way to kick off the summer season than with Disney, Disney and more Disney?

Easter may be long since past in our minds, but in Tokyo they are still celebrating Easter Wonderland at Tokyo Disneyland. This two month celebration makes a unique connection between Alice in Wonderland and the secular traditions surrounding the Easter holiday. One of the highlights of Easter Wonderland is the Easter Wonderland parade, which is covered in great detail here by our intrepid Tokyo correspondent, ichigopara.

Another long-running Disney tradition (since 1997) is Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Denise nbodyhome Preskitt has some great photos of this event, as well as some other updates from around the resort. She even has a photo of MickeyD's being remodeled into ChickieD's.

Finally, we end our update with SummerInFL's leisurely day at Walt Disney World. I have to admit that her great photos made me nostalgic for my right coast Disney home. I can't wait to get back. Seven days and counting!

Thanks for visiting the Weekend Update. Now go out and explore!

Our Tokyo correspondent, ichigopara, is back this week with a comprehensive look at the Easter Wonderland parade at Tokyo Disneyland

Tokyo Disneyland has declared the months of May and June as "Disney's Easter Wonderland". This is new for the park this year so the TDR website finds it necessary to explain the tradition of Easter:

This is a special time of year when people enjoy painting and decorating eggs to their fancy. And when these eggs mysteriously disappear, it's time to hunt them out! Lots of people also enjoy wearing elaborate bonnets decked with flowers, creating a festive atmosphere at parties and parades held on this special day.
The website goes on to promote the special events that are featured during Easter Wonderland:

What, the Park is going to be full of eggs!? In the Kingdom of Dreams and Magic, celebrating Easter is a unique and fantastical event. This is the first ever Disney-style Easter celebration, so come enjoy a fanciful and magical event, where characters from Alice in Wonderland put on a whimsical parade, and more!

The parade opens with your friends from the Disney film Alice in Wonderland, followed by the Disney pals wearing bunny ears and Easter bonnets. What's more, Mickey goes around jumping from one float to the other. It's a fantastical Easter parade that's filled with surprises!
ichigopara shares this float by float photo coverage of a Disney parade that is unique to the Tokyo park:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt files this report on Star Wars Weekends at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Star Wars Weekends started this past week (this is always a fun event!), I have around 300 photos on my site.

Star Wars Weekends is an annual special event at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park that celebrates the epic space-fantasy Star Wars Saga and the new animated television series The Clone Wars. Join Jedi Masters, Sith Lords and Star Wars celebrities for special shows, presentations and memorabilia.

Fans of the Star Wars universe don't have to travel to "a galaxy far, far away" to come face to face with droids, alien creatures and many of their favorite Star Wars characters.

Younglings can hone their lightsaber skills and prepare to do battle with Darth Vader himself at the Jedi Training Academy. Prove yourself the master of trivia in contests with prize giveaways. Board a runaway Starspeeder on the Star Tours attraction, or stare in awe as visitors from Naboo, Endor and every planet between pass by in a motorcade.

In addition to all of the entertainment, there are plenty of conversations, autograph sessions and motorcades with the celebrities and creators of the Star Wars galaxy.

Hunting for a special collectible bounty? Grab a Disney's FASTPASS ticket to ensure your place in line for celebrity autographs, or find special limited-edition merchandise to add to your collection at the Tatooine Traders store and other vendors around the Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park.

Each day ends with the Hyperspace Hoopla! show, where many favorites let loose with music, comedy, dancing and more.

With Ewoks, Wookiees, Stormtroopers, Jawas and more invading Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park, young Padawan Learners and their parents would be wise to have their cameras ready. Star Wars Weekends take place only once a year, so check back for the next event dates and plan your trip early. Do. Or do not. There is no try!
During the first Legends of the Force motorcade, the new R2-MK astromech joined the procession. The astromech is usually with Mickey, greeting guests - but probably will not be in another motorcade.

Dee Bradley Baker jumped out of his car on Sunday:

This video shows the Sunday Legends of the Force Parade, and you can see Dee Bradley Baker getting out before heading back into his vehicle:

Star Wars characters and celebrities waiting for guests so they can do the daily welcome:

Hyperspace Hoopla:

This is one of my favorite photos:

Stormtrooper:

Jeremy Bulloch and Temeura Morrison:

Tameura Morrison:

Jedi Mickey and R2-MK:

We met Ashley Eckstein while waiting in line at the Writers Stop, she told me about her new clothing line that is aimed primarily at female Star Wars fans (and makeup, jewelry, etc. will be coming). She hopes to have the clothing available at next years Star Wars Weekends - she is wearing one of her designs from heruniverse.com.

Aurra Sing:

Toy Story Midway Mania has added new characters from Toy Story 3, and a new game:

The former Downtown Disney McDonalds is now being remodeled into Pollo Campero:

And more changes have been made to Fantasyland - the wall was moved, there is more area for guest flow as well as Scuttles is gone.

Be sure to check out even more photos and videos on Denise's website: mousesteps.com.

SummerInFL shares photos of her recent trip to the "World"

Random day trip to the World with photos of World Showcase, Beach Club, Yacht Club and Magic Kingdom.

Canada Pavilion

United Kingdom Pavilion

International Gateway

Marie

France Pavilion

Morocco Pavilion

Japan Pavilion

American Pavilion

Italy Pavilion

China Pavilion

Nine Dragons Chinese Chicken Salad

Mexico Pavilion

Magic Kingdom

The docking area has been refurbished and all the money is gone around the buoy's.

Exposition Hall is now closed off.

Pin Shop is now clothing, jewelry and handbags.

An entire glass blowing area that's new. (To me)

Tomorrowland

Madam Leota's Cart

Looking for up-to-date reports from Disneyland
including photos, gossip, park schedules and more?

Visit these MiceChat columns each week:

Every Monday: Dateline Disneyland

Every Friday: In the Parks

And that brings us to the end of another week. Our photographers have just enough time to reload their cameras before we see you all again next weekend. Thank you to all of our wonderful readers, and as always, a huge thank you to our amazing team of global photographers, spies, and gossips:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt (mousesteps.com)
SummerInFL
sir clinksalot
MickeyMaxx
CaptPhoebus
Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams
BigPigletFan
Abominable Snowman
Fishbulb
PhotoMatt
Jack Hollywood 1939 Wixom
Ken Eslick (DisneylandPostcards.net)
ichigopara

Your Editor - Rixter

It is readers like you who make MiceChat such a special place.

Don't miss a single one of MiceChat's Featured Blogs (including the Weekend Update). Add our feed to your favorite feed software or site:

Follow us on Twitter

Submit "Tokyo Disney Wonderland; Star Wars Weekend; Freeform Walt Disney World" to Digg Submit "Tokyo Disney Wonderland; Star Wars Weekend; Freeform Walt Disney World" to del.icio.us Submit "Tokyo Disney Wonderland; Star Wars Weekend; Freeform Walt Disney World" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tokyo Disney Wonderland; Star Wars Weekend; Freeform Walt Disney World" to Google

Updated 05-29-2010 at 09:32 AM by Weekend Update

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

• |
    Wow the photos this week are so vibrant! Great job!
    Love the Star Wars video
    • |
    That was an unfortunate picture of Mary Poppins, lol.
    • |
    The Easter/Wonderland parade costumes are C-R-A-Z-Y. And does Mickey appear several times, but in different costumes? If so, that's fun.
    Very glad for the new Fantasyland at MK. It was my favorite land growing up, until you realize there really wasn't much to it. In fact, since 20,000 Leagues was removed, it always felt like a dead end. The whole backside of Fantasyland just seemed like an abrupt end. Not a fan of meet-n-greets, and certainly not more princess ones, but this will open up the Land to so much more interesting areas. I do think it needs more rides than just Ariel. And I wish we'd get a Small World facade that is out in the open air.
    • |
    Nice WDW pictures! I'm kind of on a World Showcase kick right now, so that hit the spot.
    • |
    What is going on in the Easter Parade exactly? The men and women dressed up in the "Egg Buster" outfits? Are those egg grenades on their belts?
    • |
    That Easter Parade is AWESOME!!!!! How does Tokyo Disney have all of these HUGE elaborate parades for every season/holiday/event??? and we cannot get just ONE?

Love Disneyworld pics too. Made me miss it.

Thanks Everybody for the updates.
    • |
    Loved the bight, wonderful silliness of the Easter Parade in Tokyo, but as a former cast member and Disney theme park "purist" (whatever that means!) I have to protest the 'mult-Mickeys' in the parade. The company has always made it known that there is only ONE Mickey, and went to great pains to make sure that if he was visiting one area of a park, he wouldn't be seen in any other area. I'm a big believer in Disney Magic, but I can't get into multiple Mickeys being seen in one parade!! LOL
    • |
    Does anyone know why exposition hall is closed? That was one of my favorite airconditioned, quite, out of the way, no one knows about places to sit.
    • |
    Looks like there's a Oswald the Lucky Rabbit float in the Tokyo parade. Very cool!
    • |
    The rumor is the Exposition Hall will be the location of the new mickey and Minnie meet and greets once Toontown Fair (and their houses) close.
    • |
    [quote=LuckyJack65;bt12837]Loved the bight, wonderful silliness of the Easter Parade in Tokyo, but as a former cast member and Disney theme park "purist" (whatever that means!) I have to protest the 'mult-Mickeys' in the parade. The company has always made it known that there is only ONE Mickey, and went to great pains to make sure that if he was visiting one area of a park, he wouldn't be seen in any other area. I'm a big believer in Disney Magic, but I can't get into multiple Mickeys being seen in one parade!! LOL[/quote]

There is only one Mickey. So the parade route is divided into three sections and in each section there is a show stop. This is how it works

Section 1 & 3:
    Mad Hatter Mickey - As the parade enters Mickey is on the front float dressed as Mad Hatter
    European Mickey - Appears on second float with Donald during the beginning of the show stop.
    Lilo and Stitch - During section 1 he does not appear on top of the float. He just changes and proceeds to the next section. During section 3 he is on the float during the unbirthday section
    Egg Finder - During section 1 he is here for the 'Spring is Here' part. During section 4 he just changes outfits and does not appear on top of the float.
    Hunchback Mickey - Appears during the end of both show stops.
    Fancy Mickey - Appears on last float at the end of the show stop. Then he proceeds through the parade on this float.

Section 2 is when the parade circles the entire hub so it is similar except that Mickey appears for longer on each float and goes in reverse, from back to front.

Here is a video that shows you how it works during Section 2 show stop (Mickey has just ditched his fancy costume and is in Hunchback mode):
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvpODn6vEeg]YouTube - ???????????????? MIX #2 ????6?? ?????[/ame]
    • |
    Great update, thanks!
    • |
    Thank You!
    • |
    I like the things they do in the TDL park. The food always looks incredible. The parade costumes and floats are amazing and I want one of those popcorn buckets. I am anxiously awaiting the photo op on all the popcorn buckets. I also like the cute little bear that is popular in TDL. TDL has certainly latched on to all that sets a Disney theme park apart from other parks, but have also incorporated things for their own cultural tastes and distinctions. I think it makes TDL one of the premier Disney parks
    • |
    I truly enjoyed the photos from SummerINFL, especially the World Showcase. I love seeing what's new in the countries. The Moroccan Pavillion has lovely, exotic items and the statues in the Chinese Pavillion is a great wonder to behold. I always enjoy seeing photos of the resorts.
    • |
    This easter wonderland parade is so awesome!!!! I love the costumes and the amount of color in this parade. This photos of World Showcase made me miss it so much...
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigan Guy
    Looks like there's a Oswald the Lucky Rabbit float in the Tokyo parade. Very cool!
    After watching the video of the whole parade I concur, that's definitely an Oswald the Lucky Rabbit float, and Cool!