View RSS Feed

Weekend Update

WDW Updates; Hong Kong Main Street Stroll; Tokyo Spring Carnival; SoCal Classics

Rate this Entry
by , 06-11-2010 at 07:05 PM

It's been quite a Disney week! I have been at Walt Disney World this week checking out the new summer offerings here in Orlando. We saw the re-introduction of Disney's Electrical Parade at the Magic Kingdom, we viewed the new Summer Nightastic fireworks show, and we experienced the changes at the Tower of Terror. Although I wasn't able to visit the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I did get to hear first hand reports from a few of my buddies who were able to visit this exciting new land at Islands of Adventure.

This week we have WDW updates from Denise nbodyhome Preskitt and CaptPhoebus. The new offerings have been attracting huge crowds to the parks here in Florida.

We're starting a new series of comprehensive photo reports on Hong Kong Disneyland provided by HKDLFAN. Take a stroll down Main Street in HKDL with us. (We'll only make it half way. We'll finish our tour of Main Street next week.)

ichigopara pays tribute this week to the final year of Spring Carnival at Tokyo DisneySeas. She does a great job of capturing the beautiful costumes and high energy of this unique parade. She has also invited us to pay a visit to her blog TokyoDisneySweets.

Finally, we have the first installment of sir clinksalot's new series, "SoCal Classics". In the coming weeks, he plans to bring us reports on some classic Southern California theme park attractions.

Thanks for visiting the Weekend Update. Now go out and explore!

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt shares another great Walt Disney World update:

Ray Park and Billy Dee Williams were this past weeks Star Wars Weekends guests. Ray Park is back this week as well, he is terrific in "A Visit to the Maul" for those who will be there for it. Here are just a few photos from last week:

Ray Park:

Billy Dee Williams:

Ewok and little girl:

I am very happy that the Main Street Electrical Parade is back on Main Street! I have 150 photos as well as links to the video.

A photo of the Tower of Terror with the green shaft lighting - I was disappointed in the minimal changes for Summer Nightastic, but it's still one of the best attractions that Disney has to offer:

A year after the Bay Lake Tower opened (and after following it nearly weekly to get photos), I finally was able to get fully inside! We were invited by friends to the Top of the World, it was a very nice experience. The bar has a limited appetizer menu, which includes flatbread (I have a photo of mine below). We also watched fireworks from there. I'll have a lot more photos on my site next week when I have a chance to put them up.

A short video I took of the Top of the World:

And each floor has artwork with a character, here are a few:

Be sure to check out more photos and video at Denise's website, mousesteps.com.

CaptPhoebus usually covers the west coast parks for us, but we're lucky that he was at the Magic Kingdom for the premiere of the Summer Nightastic offerings:

On a recent trip to Walt Disney World, I was able to catch the opening night's festivities of Magic Kingdom's Summer Nightastic! offerings, which includes both the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade and a new fireworks show for the summer, aptly named Summer Nightastic! Fireworks. Here is just a sample of some of the photos and videos I took.

Main Street Electrical Parade

Tinkerbelle's Float

Tinkerbelle's Float

Mickey's Train

Mickey's Train

Alice

Alice In Wonderland

Cinderella's Royal Ball

Cinderella's Royal Ball

Dwarf Mine Car

Elliot and Pete

America Float

Summer Nightastic! Fireworks

Pink, No Blue

Pirate Attack

For more photos, follow the thread at MiceChat Coverage - First Public Performances of Magic Kingdom's Summer Nightastic!

Here's part one of a detailed look at Hong Kong Disneyland by HKDLFAN

HKDLFAN has taken the time to show us Hong Kong Disneyland in much greater detail. We'll be bringing you one chapter of this huge undertaking each week. This week, we start at the entry to the park and slowly make our way down Main Street, U.S.A.

We'll have more Main Street at Hong Kong Disneyland next week!

Ichigopara gives us a look at Spring Carnival at Tokyo DisneySeas:

The fairies who bring new seasons to the human world are once again returning to Tokyo DisneySea, bringing spring with them.

With the long-awaited arrival of spring, the harbor town is full of joy, sweeping the Guests up in a big flower carnival.

Join the gathered Disney friends and celebrate the season!
I realized that I hadn't been to TDS's spring event Spring Carnival which is in it's final year. So here are some photos from the Lido Isle viewing area. You can see the show all along the harbor so next time I will take pictures from the center where you can see more characters!

Getting ready for the show!

At TDR there are kids seating areas for the seasonal shows and it makes things much easier for parents!

Some closer photos

Please visit my new blog: (TokyoDisneySweets)

See you next week!

Today sir clinksalot starts a series of photo reports on classic Southern California amusement park attractions.

Six Flags Magic Mountain's Sky Tower

What is the Sky Tower? A 38-story tower with a glass elevator ride to the top. A museum featuring memorabilia from Magic Mountains History. Since 1971, the Sky Tower has been the towering centerpiece of Six Flags Magic Mountain. The Sky Tower was not operational from 2001 until it reopened in 2006. In 2007 a Museum was added to the peak of the tower showcasing some of the history of the park.

The Sky Tower can be seen from pretty much anywhere in the park.

Near Tatsu

Near Jet Stream

And of course at the parks Iconic Entrance. One of the most classic shots in the park featuring Valencia Falls, Revolution, Tatsu and the Sky Tower.

The entrance area is themed to the surrounding "Samurai Summit".

Kindly wait for the next elevator, it will only be a few minutes.

A look at the tower from the loading area.

Taking a ride to the observation deck in one of the two glass elevators is no picnic. You never realize how high it is until you are going up.

If you are lucky you will catch a glimpse of one of the owl's who make their home at the top of the tower.

Once you step off the elevator, Sylvester will greet you.

Some of the features of the museum include:

One of the original Colossus cars

A scale model of Ninja

Some classic Six Flags T-Shirts

Ride signs from gone, but not forgotten attractions

Some news articles and hand-outs from the parks first years.

Some people tend to forget that Magic Mountain and Sea World had a working relationship in 1971

And who can forget Trollywood

Of course, the highlight of any visit are the views of the park and the surrounding Santa Clarita Valley

Looking for up-to-date reports from Disneyland
including photos, gossip, park schedules and more?

Visit these MiceChat columns each week:

Every Monday: Dateline Disneyland

Every Friday: In the Parks

And that brings us to the end of another week. Our photographers have just enough time to reload their cameras before we see you all again next weekend. Thank you to all of our wonderful readers, and as always, a huge thank you to our amazing team of global photographers, spies, and gossips:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt (mousesteps.com)
SummerInFL
sir clinksalot
MickeyMaxx
CaptPhoebus
Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams
BigPigletFan
Abominable Snowman
Fishbulb
PhotoMatt
Jack Hollywood 1939 Wixom
Ken Eslick (DisneylandPostcards.net)
ichigopara (TokyoDisneySweets)

Your Editor - Rixter

Our thanks to special contributor this week HKDLFAN.

It is readers like you who make MiceChat such a special place.

Don't miss a single one of MiceChat's Featured Blogs (including the Weekend Update). Add our feed to your favorite feed software or site:

Follow us on Twitter

Submit "WDW Updates; Hong Kong Main Street Stroll; Tokyo Spring Carnival; SoCal Classics" to Digg Submit "WDW Updates; Hong Kong Main Street Stroll; Tokyo Spring Carnival; SoCal Classics" to del.icio.us Submit "WDW Updates; Hong Kong Main Street Stroll; Tokyo Spring Carnival; SoCal Classics" to StumbleUpon Submit "WDW Updates; Hong Kong Main Street Stroll; Tokyo Spring Carnival; SoCal Classics" to Google

Updated 06-12-2010 at 12:25 PM by Weekend Update

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

• |
    Another delightful report. I always look forward to the weekend updates. Thanks!
    • |
    I think it's the best one yet!
    • |
    I will ask the question again. How is it that Tokyo Disney (both parks) have all these shows and parades for seasons, holidays, and other special events and other Disney parks struggle to get a single new parade? Lets not forget to mention the quality in costumes and floats is usually above par compared to other entertainment offerings Disney has around the world. Makes me sad.

I really love the new in depth report of Hong Kong. I ALWAYS love the Tokyo reports. The Six Flags report was interesting and fun.

Thank you for all who contribute. You are truly appreciated.
    • |
    Great Picture's of the Disney Parks!
    • |
    Great update. Thanks!
    • |
    Fantastic update today, as always! Spring Carnival would be a neat thing to add to Disneyland's Rivers of America during the day! HKDL is an interesting park. Surreal to see the castle with a mountain behind it. Thanks for the Six Flags history Clinks, really fantastic stuff!!!
    • |
    Great update!

Hong Kong Disney looks terrible. There doesn't look like there is much to do or see.
    • |
    You can judge that going by photos of half of Main Street?
    • |
    Great update! We need am Electrical parade here in Hong Kong please!!!

@downbeat Well none of my or anyone's photos will ever justify any Disney theme park simply because of the atmosphere and surroundings. You need to go to the park (any Disney theme Park) physically to get a true sense of what its actually like.
    • |
    Thanks for the photos everyone! Clinks - My family and I were just there a couple weeks ago, and we thought that elevator had shut down a long time ago as we saw no signs of life. It's good to know that it's still up and running. We'll have to check out that view on our next trip. As of now, Tatsu is our favorite ride.
    • |
    Great Update and can't wait for the next week's
    • |
    Really am I the only one NOT to be excited that a 30 year old parade is back at the mouses "flag" resort !

wow stick a few extra lights on a tired old float (steal a better resort soundtrack )and roll it out, is it that unreasonable to expect WDW to promote (and pay) for a parade ....NOT better but the same as tokyo disney dream lights ??

and something else, this year is my 40th Birthday and to celebrate I wanted to do my first cruise....of course a disney cruise.
    second week we would do orlando, 3 days disney and a couple at universal.....imagine my errrrrrr surprise that i have to pay 224, about $315 to get a 3 day hopper pass, WDW in their wisdom, do a 5 day hooper for the same cost as a 14 day hopper.......errrr no, I can get a 4 day hopper for tokyo disney for about 115 ( $160 ) so disney florida are charging all "guests" ....mugs the 14 price ticket even if u only want 5 days...i.e over charging you, and for this I get, full up to date working attractions, fantastic polite and well turned out cast members, everything looking sparkling new, fantastic new shows and parades that our new year after year or at least 5 yearly, their day parade is at least 20 years old (admit abit of new paint and less plastic snowglobe coverings and again a stolen soundtrack from the far east) and plus good different merchandise. NO u don't.

I will do the cruise, but listern disney, I will NEVER visit your theme parks in florida again to be overcharged when I can get a better experience far cheaper price in tokyo, learn disney universal is stepping up its game, u should and as far as the FL expansion, already the "face characters" in TDLR interact much better with guests, Princess Aurora asked me to dance with her, and I did not have to Q for 2 hours to do this, it was just a standard meeting at the entrance to the park, and yes I walzted with areal princess :-)

Learn Disney or pay the price....I am a die hard fan and will not return, others will follow.

TDLR keep up the good work ! show em how it's done, and yes send electric parade to HKDL

Mike
    • |
    I really like the HKDL Main Street's brick surface. It reminds me of all the brick streets in Orlando.