View RSS Feed

Weekend Update

Wizarding World; Toy Story 3; Main Street Disneyland Hong Kong; Classic Revolution

Rate this Entry
by , 06-18-2010 at 08:56 PM

Can it really be summer already? The signs are all around me. I tried to hop onto the I-5 this afternoon to go to the bank and was met with bumper-to-bumper traffic heading to San Diego. Then when I got back to work, there was no parking to be found. All the beachgoers had pretty well locked up the available spaces. I have a sneaky suspicion that the parking lots at our local theme parks are going to be "locked up" as well starting this weekend.

Your Weekend Update continues to have late-breaking theme park news for you. This week we have photos from Orlando's Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you read last week's Update, you already know that a group of us were in Orlando recently. CaptPhoebus was lucky enough to gain entry to this new land at Islands of Adventure during a soft opening day and he has the photos to prove it.

sir clinksalot brings us an early report on Toy Story 3 and the Toy Story 3 FunZone at the Hyperion Theater in Hollywood. I know that the Clinks family likes to get up early, but this is ridiculous!

We continue our stroll down Main Street at Hong Kong Disneyland with HKDLFAN. I'm really enjoying spotting the similarities and the differences compared with our domestic Disney parks.

Finally this week, sir clinksalot has another entry in his SoCal Classic Attractions series. I have a lot of nostalgia for this great old ride and I'll bet some of you do also.

Thanks for visiting the Weekend Update. Now go out and explore!

CaptPhoebus gives us a look at the fabulous Wizarding World of Harry Potter

On my recent visit to Central Florida, I was able to get to take a quick peek into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter land over at Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando Resort. Here is a just a small peek at what Hogsmeade has to offer.

The New Bridge (to go around Hogsmeade)

Gates to Hogsmeade

Welcome to Hogsmeade

Hogwart's Express Train

Three Broomsticks Restaurant

Interior of Three Broomsticks

Hog's Head Pub

Butterbeer Cart

Owl Post Exterior

Owl Post "Interior"

The Sign at Ollivanders (The Wand Shop)

On to Hogwarts

So that's where Hogwarts really is....It's right next to Jurassic Park

Gate Guardians

The School's Choir

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter officially opened yesterday, June 18th. For more photos and a review of the ride, Check out Fishbulb and Dusty's review thread: Wizarding World of Harry Potter Photos and Ride Review

sir clinksalot gives us an EARLY look at Toy Story 3 at the El Capitan

Toy Story 3 and Toy Story 3 FunZone at the El Capitan in Hollywood

I had the privilege to attend an early screening of Toy Story 3 on Friday ... and by early I mean the movie started at 6am.

For those of you who didn't know, this is what the El Capitan looks like at 5am.

The movie is playing at the El Capitan for more than 2 months

Inside the amazing El Capitan theatre

After the movie, everybody is invited to check out the Toy Story 3 Fun Zone

The fun zone is actually located on the Hollywood High School football field.

The Fun Zone features Toy Story themed games

A Tricycle race

Andy's Game Room where you can play the Xbox Toy Story 3 game

Lotso's Lounge where you can have birthday and other parties

Buttercups Crafts and a Ferris Wheel

Inside the main tent you can play with a slinky

Lego's

Make your own Mr. Potato Head

Get your picture taken with Barbie and Ken

Or Jessie, Bullseye and Rex

Outside the main tent they have a set-up for Sunnyside

In the playground area you will fund the Escape from Sunnyside Maze

Big Baby's Bumpers

A Toy Store is also on site

You can purchase various Toy Story 3 merchandise as well as make your own Mr. or Mrs. Potato head.

If you get the chance, check out Toy Story 3 at the El Capitan, you won't be dissapointed.

Just in case you missed it, MiceAge's Sue Kruse has a review of the movie HERE.

Our stroll down Main Street at Hong Kong Disneyland continues courtesy of HKDLFAN

Next time, Adventureland!

Here's another installment in sir clinksalot's series of photo reports on classic Southern California amusement park attractions.

Six Flags Magic Mountain's Revolution

The Revolution, formerly known as Great American Revolution and La Revolución, is a steel roller coaster manufactured by Anton Schwarzkopf of Germany and designed by Werner Stengel. The coaster is located in the Baja Ridge area of Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California. It opened on May 8, 1976 and was the world's first modern roller coaster to feature a vertical loop. It is an ACE Coaster Landmark.

The coaster was named after the American Revolution, which began in 1776, 200 years before the ride opened. Unlike almost all of the previous attempts to create looping roller coasters in the nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries, Revolution's loop was clothoid loop-shaped instead of a completely circular. Eight days later, Corkscrew opened at Cedar Point on May 15, 1976 with a vertical loop and two corkscrews for a total of three inversions.
The Revolution is located in the Baja Ridge area of Magic Mountain

The rides entrance is surrounded by lush trees and waterfalls. Of course, this wasn't the original entrance to the ride.

The original entrance is located on the other side where X2's bridge is now located. This spot was made famous in National Lampoon's Vacation

In 2002 the ride became an ACE RollerCoaster Landmark for being the first modern coaster with a vertical loop.

Even though the ride is no longer named La Revolución, it does have a distinctive southwestern feel to it.

Taking a ride on the Revolution gives some great views of the park.

Make sure you put your head back for the loop

A train full of riders come barreling through the trees

One of the most iconic views of any amusement park

Looking for up-to-date reports from Disneyland
including photos, gossip, park schedules and more?

Visit these MiceChat columns each week:

Every Monday: Dateline Disneyland

Every Friday: In the Parks

And that brings us to the end of another week. Our photographers have just enough time to reload their cameras before we see you all again next weekend. Thank you to all of our wonderful readers, and as always, a huge thank you to our amazing team of global photographers, spies, and gossips:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt (mousesteps.com)
SummerInFL
sir clinksalot
MickeyMaxx
CaptPhoebus
Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams
BigPigletFan
Abominable Snowman
Fishbulb
PhotoMatt
Jack Hollywood 1939 Wixom
Ken Eslick (DisneylandPostcards.net)
ichigopara (TokyoDisneySweets)

Your Editor - Rixter

Our thanks to special contributor this week HKDLFAN.

It is readers like you who make MiceChat such a special place.

Don't miss a single one of MiceChat's Featured Blogs (including the Weekend Update). Add our feed to your favorite feed software or site:

Follow us on Twitter

Submit "Wizarding World; Toy Story 3; Main Street Disneyland Hong Kong; Classic Revolution" to Digg Submit "Wizarding World; Toy Story 3; Main Street Disneyland Hong Kong; Classic Revolution" to del.icio.us Submit "Wizarding World; Toy Story 3; Main Street Disneyland Hong Kong; Classic Revolution" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wizarding World; Toy Story 3; Main Street Disneyland Hong Kong; Classic Revolution" to Google

Updated 06-19-2010 at 07:47 PM by Weekend Update

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

• |
    So that's where Hogwarts really is....It's right next to Jurassic Park
    Did you go into Hogwarts? What is in it and is it cool? I don't think Hogwarts was originally next to Jurassic Park but that's what happens when you have children casting spells at school
    • |
    Thanks for the update!
    • |
    Need to correct a misconception in your Revolution history. The ride's original entrance IS the current entrance. You can see this in the movie Roller Coaster from 1977 where the Revolution was used for the climax of the film. The previous entrance you call "original" was actually constructed in 1981 as part of the Roaring Rapids/Spilliken Corners expansion which created a complete loop around the park.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Internitty
    Did you go into Hogwarts? What is in it and is it cool?
    The interior of Hogwarts is awesome! There are lots of areas that makes you feel like you're in the movies. You go through Dumbledore's office, the classroom for Defense against the Dark Arts, The Gryffindor common room, etc. The ride is amazing, though a bit chaotic.

We went to IoA yesterday, and the line to get into Hogsmeade started at Dr. Seuss land and wound all the way around the park the long way. I would guess they had 3-4000 people waiting in line at 3 o'clock just to get into the land. That is nuts. Needless to say, we left!

Great update, guys!
    • |
    ^^I'm seconding what Terrytiger stated... the current entrance for Revolution is the original. Also, I'm not certain the ride was ever called La Revolución... isn't that the flat ride at Knott's? Thought I admit it may have been called that at one time, in the "Baja Ridge" years.

But it is nice to see a classic featured. Even better that SFMM also has one of the Revolution cars painted in it's classic RWB design... love that!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Internitty
    Did you go into Hogwarts? What is in it and is it cool?
    Here is Fishbulb and my review of the ride including photos inside the castle:
    http://micechat.com/forums/universal...de-review.html
    • |
    Wish my family got to go to The El Capitan and The Fun Zone! I guess we could say that when one Mice Chatter goes, we go with you in spirit. Thanks for the pics and info. We were trying to figure out where they were going to put it...Hollywood High, makes sense.
    • |
    Awwww! The Revolution was my first roller coaster! That was a great appreciation for truly terrific ride.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrytiger
    Need to correct a misconception in your Revolution history. The ride's original entrance IS the current entrance. You can see this in the movie Roller Coaster from 1977 where the Revolution was used for the climax of the film. The previous entrance you call "original" was actually constructed in 1981 as part of the Roaring Rapids/Spilliken Corners expansion which created a complete loop around the park.
    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of that. I just remember that being the entrance when I was a kid. I know I went to the park in 1978 but I was only 3. The first time I actually "remember" being at the park was when Roaring Rapids opened.
    • |
    I've lived in the shadow of Magic Mountain for almost 30 years, and remember when The Revolution was the premiere ride in the park, not a historical landmark. It was called La Revolución for a few years, but I don't remember exactly when. But the biggest change was made to the restraint system. When first installed and for many years, The Revolution only had lap restraints. Installing the shoulder harnesses completely changed the feel of the ride. Flipping upside down with only centrifugal force holding you in place was quite a rush!
    • |
    I always preferred the "original" entrance to the Revolution at SFMM. When the plaza area was built across from Viper it just struck me as a place to bake your guests before they could get some relief from the summer sun under the trees closer to the loading gates. National Lampoon's Vacation uses the "plaza entrance" for the scene where Chevy Chase breaks down and cries while giving the park owner (SFMM was "WallyWorld") the details of his so-far disasterous vacation adventure. I always hated this plaza and it always made me feel as though I had to march that much further and up a mountain in order to get to the entrance. As it is now, the reopening of the original entrance is much more scenic and you don't have to make such a long walk and then a climb a hill in order to reach this headbanger of a coaster. I too also long for the days when a lapbar was the only restraint. Worst shoulder restraint system on any coaster I have ever ridden. Sadly, the painful shoulder restraints are now responsible for more memories than the enjoyment of the ride itself. This used to be a fun ride but now it's just painful.

Has J.K. Rowling chimed in as to her thoughts on the new Harry Potter additions at USF? Has she been there since it has been operating? I know she oversaw the films with a commanding hand and evrything had to have her blessing before it went forward. I just don't recall hearing anything regarding her involvement or opinions regarding this project. I'll bet that she is proud of her vision and the enjoyment it continues to provide her fans,
    Updated 06-19-2010 at 12:28 PM by Crazee4mm
    • |
    Make sure you put your head back for the loop
    what happens if you don't?
    • |
    Most disney fans hate to admit it, but Magic Mountain is one of those places that could be great for its own right. and the revolution is truly a historical ride.
    • |
    lovly update, I have been to the El Captain before, and it's a really beautiful movie palace. Also, the Revolution is one of my favs at Magic Mountain.

Timekeeper
    • |
    HKDL - A jewelry store inside the Main St Cinema? It also has the original Global Van Lines facade next to the Emporium - it's great, I always thought the new facades in DL didn't fit somehow, I think maybe because they're too fancy.
    • |
    Thank you Mickey_Mouse and Dustysage for the information on Hogwarts, I hope to be able to go there when I come to the USA for my holiday at the end of the year Sure hope those huge lines start to think out about then!!!
    • |
    Revolution would still be among my top 5 coasters at SFMM if it had the lap-bar only. As it is now, it's my least favorite.

For so many of us (and for my son as well) Revolution was our first "looping" coaster (although Corkscrew at Knott's was my first "upside down" coaster). I have such great memories of that ride and enjoyed so many amazing rides on it prior to the OTSR's being installed.

They probably wouldn't be so bad if the trains had actually been built for them, but sadly, they were not.

Also, the reason why the ride is so rough now is because the trains are MUCH heavier than they were originally (due to the OTSR's) which is why they had to add so many brakes to the ride (which weren't there originally).

I long for the day when Revolution is either A) Returned to it's former glory or B) At least has new trains built with OTSR's in mind that are lighter than the ones currently in place.
    • |
    Good update, but using a camera on rides at SFMM is against park rules. Are you advocating breaking the rules in the park?
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm
    Has J.K. Rowling chimed in as to her thoughts on the new Harry Potter additions at USF? Has she been there since it has been operating? I know she oversaw the films with a commanding hand and evrything had to have her blessing before it went forward. I just don't recall hearing anything regarding her involvement or opinions regarding this project. I'll bet that she is proud of her vision and the enjoyment it continues to provide her fans,
    I believe she had the same amount of creative control over the Wizarding World as she had over the films, which is a lot. That may be the reason for one of the only complaints I've heard about the place, and that is the tiny, claustrophobic shops.
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Revolution would still be among my top 5 coasters at SFMM if it had the lap-bar only. As it is now, it's my least favorite.

For so many of us (and for my son as well) Revolution was our first "looping" coaster (although Corkscrew at Knott's was my first "upside down" coaster). I have such great memories of that ride and enjoyed so many amazing rides on it prior to the OTSR's being installed.

They probably wouldn't be so bad if the trains had actually been built for them, but sadly, they were not.

Also, the reason why the ride is so rough now is because the trains are MUCH heavier than they were originally (due to the OTSR's) which is why they had to add so many brakes to the ride (which weren't there originally).

I long for the day when Revolution is either A) Returned to it's former glory or B) At least has new trains built with OTSR's in mind that are lighter than the ones currently in place.
    I agree with you 100% about the OSTRs. It further rankles me that they were installed purely for liability reasons, not for any legal reasons. It's true that OSTRs are required now for any looping coaster, but they weren't when the coaster was built. The addition of OSTRs was at the behest of Six Flags's legal department, even though it's not safer with them and with the roughness of the ride now and they way your head slaps back and forth, it might even be less safe with the OSTRs in place. Grrr. Of course if they made new trains for the ride they'd have to include OSTRs since you can only use a grandfather clause like that on original equipment.