View RSS Feed

Weekend Update

ElecTRONica Opening Night; Disneyland Photos; Universal Singapore; Canary Islands

Rate this Entry
by , 10-08-2010 at 08:49 PM

We're thrilled to bring you photos and video from opening night at ElecTRONica at Disney California Adventure. CaptPhoebus braved the crowds (which he described as "congested") to bring you photos and video.

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt came west for the Destination Disneyland event, so we're privileged to have her photos from the Disneyland Resort this week.

TDLFAN continues his very popular series on Universal Studos Singapore. Following that we have photos from the Canary Islands from Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams. We also have a hint from our new Australian correspondent Rya86n regarding a report he is preparing for next week.

Thanks for visiting the Weekend Update.

ElecTRONica

Plug in to ElecTRONica and assimilate into the virtual world of TRON: Legacy, the new Walt Disney Pictures' film opening nationwide on December 17, 2010. Each night, this high-energy street festival ignites Hollywood Pictures Backlot with fun for the whole family.

Enter ElecTRONica and emerge digitized. Journey under the Recognizer and get swept into The Grid, where a live D.J. spins techno and dance music.

Check out TRON: Legacy 3D Sneak Peek.

Watch Sirens groove to the beats of Daft Punk and others, while digitally projected Lightcycles zoom around you.

Face off with enemies and allies at Flynn's Arcade.

Try incandescent concoctions at the End of the Line bar.

Be amazed by an eclectic array of street performers, including laser and martial artists.

Image Disney

Image Disney

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt was at the Disneyland Resort recently and cast her talented eye on the west coast House of Mouse

Here are some photos I've taken of Disneyland this week:

Jack and Sally - I love that they are meet-and greet characters here!

Halloween Mickey:

Halloween Goofy:

We went to see World of Color:

Donald:

From the Omnibus:

Walt and Mickey:

Festival of the Dead:

Woody:

One of my favorite areas is around Big Thunder Ranch, where pumpkins are being carved in various shapes. I haven't taken too many pictures there yet, but I will have them next week!

Yoda:

Dopey near the Wishing Well:

The Evil Queen looks out her window:

Matterhorn:

Mark Twain:

Haunted Mansion Holiday:

There was special lighting due to live broadcasts that were about to start:

Pumpkin Mickey:

Follow Denise's trips around Walt Disney World and beyond at her website: mousesteps.com.

TDLFAN is back with more Universal Studios Singapore

It's time now to continue or visit to UNIVERSAL STUDIOS SINGAPORE. On this update, we will wrap up our visit to Far Far Away land.....

As we continue to explore Far Far Away ... we decided to take a fancyful flight on a dragon.... and the queue begins here, so get in line:

The ride is called "Enchanted Airways". This is a small coaster similar to DL's Gadget Go Coaster.

The queue for Enchanted Airways...

The queue is filled with sight gag posters and jokes... such as these carry-on restrictions...
"Swords"?? The TSA will never allowed those to get past the security check point!

There is a ticket window...

Your ticket agent taking a nap.

Flight Status board and info.
Why.. they have a better on-time record than United Airlines!!!

The "gate area".

And we are off on our friendly dragon... which may be the one married to Donkey in the movie? Note the baby donkey on the head?

We go past Pinocchio.. and his nose stretches... The sign reads" Days without a crash- 001".

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! !!!!
BTW.. that's the Michael Hotel in the background... designed and named after Michael Graves, designer of WDW's Swan/Fish Hotels...

After our ride on Enchanted Air.. the sight gags continue all the way to the exit...

Puzz in boots bids us farewell...

The other attraction here in "Donkey Live!" in the Knight Club.

The queue for "Donkey Live!"

Preshow area... our hostess introduces the show we are about to see...

The waiting area also has sight gags...

This one poster in particular caught TDLFAN's attention.

Inside the Hook's Knight Club , the show unfolds.. This turned out to be an interactive show, same format as "Talk with Crush" or "Monsters Laugh Club". Here, guests can talk with Donkey, sing or participate, and Donkey also sings and crack jokes.

Now... on to the food offerings... Goldilocks.. offers chicken and fries and other similar items..

Inside Goldilocks.

They play cards!!!

The other restaurant is Friar's Good Food.

The indoor dining area of Friar's... nice decor in ceilings..

Lovely stained glass windows...

Friar's also has an outdoor dining area.

TDLFAN enjoyed Friar's veggie wrap, with chicken fingers and waffle fries.. with a Coke Zero, and single handedly destroyed his diet.

Far Far Away also has a candy store.. which TDLFAN avoided after that high fat lunch he had. Very Christmas-cy, don't you think?

We finally ran into the hosts of Far Far Away ... Shrek and Fiona.

One last look at that lovely castle... in Far Far Away...

This gate is the way out of Far Far Away... and leads right into our next destination at Universal Singapore.... which is... (drum roll..)

As we cross the bridge to our next destination.. we caught a view of the nicely themed transition between Far Far Away and the next port...

Lovely waterway...

We reached the end of the bridge and made the wrong turn to the left and ran into.. THIS!!!

Where they appropriately sell....seafood and sushi snacks!!! You want a Mariner to go with that?

But our next destination has a BIG claim to make for itself.... so the expectations are high....

TO BE CONTINUED!!!!!!!!!!

Our new contributor from "down under" Rya86n teases us with a report to come next week

This Friday marks the first day of Movieworld's Halloween Fright Nights events.

Here's more of Ian Parkinson and Richard William's recent cruise, beautiful La Palma in the Canary Islands.

La Palma is the most north-westerly of the Canary Islands. The total population is about 86,000. La Palma, like the other islands of the Canary Island archipelago, is a volcanic ocean island. The volcano rises almost 4 miles above the floor of the Atlantic Ocean. There is road access from sea level to the summit which is marked by an outcrop of rocks called Los Muchachos ("The Lads"). This is the site of the Roque de los Muchachos Observatory, one of the world's premier astronomical observatories.

Here's a video from our last destination: Madeira, Portugal.

Looking for up-to-date reports from Disneyland
including photos, gossip, park schedules and more?

Visit these MiceChat columns each week:

Every Monday: Dateline Disneyland

Every Friday: In the Parks

And that brings us to the end of another week. Our photographers have just enough time to reload their cameras before we see you all again next weekend. Thank you to all of our wonderful readers, and as always, a huge thank you to our amazing team of global photographers, spies, and gossips:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt (mousesteps.com)
SummerInFL (summerinfl.smugmug.com)
sir clinksalot
MickeyMaxx
CaptPhoebus
Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams
BigPigletFan
Abominable Snowman
Fishbulb
PhotoMatt
Jack Hollywood 1939 Wixom
Ken Eslick (DisneylandPostcards.net)
ichigopara (TokyoDisneySweets)
Rya86n

Your Editor - Rixter

Our thanks to our special contributor this week, TDLFAN.

It is readers like you who make MiceChat such a special place.

Don't miss a single one of MiceChat's Featured Blogs (including the Weekend Update). Add our feed to your favorite feed software or site:

Follow us on Twitter

Submit "ElecTRONica Opening Night; Disneyland Photos; Universal Singapore; Canary Islands" to Digg Submit "ElecTRONica Opening Night; Disneyland Photos; Universal Singapore; Canary Islands" to del.icio.us Submit "ElecTRONica Opening Night; Disneyland Photos; Universal Singapore; Canary Islands" to StumbleUpon Submit "ElecTRONica Opening Night; Disneyland Photos; Universal Singapore; Canary Islands" to Google

Updated 10-09-2010 at 11:57 AM by Weekend Update

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    • |
    ElecTRONica is such an improvement over GlowFest. I hope it is a big success.

Great update everyone!
    • |
    I see Tron Merch. I know where I am shopping tomorrow.
    • |
    Found this not too long ago...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAmRJQ2Wpy8&feature=related"]YouTube - ElecTRONica Pre-Show[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZNYTTxJPg&feature=player_embedded#"]YouTube - ElecTRONica California Adventure 2010 OPENING DAY[/ame]!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgA--PMonpU&feature=related"]YouTube - California Adventure - elecTRONica[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF5q63OXQ4g]YouTube - ElecTRONica at California Adventure- Grand Opening[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GgP8UoIUk&feature=related"]YouTube - ElecTRONica Lazar Guy[/ame]
    Updated 10-09-2010 at 10:30 AM by JMora
    • |
    Great update and good variety of pictures. Special thanks should go to CaptPhoebus for being so quick to cover the ElecTronica event, looks great.

The photo's provided by nbodyhome also deserve's a good mention here. The Festival of the Dead area looks very similar to what I have seen at Tokyo DisneySea this year. So high praise indeed.
    • |
    Re Electronica- Sounds like DCA's first successful attempt at "hip and edgy"! Looks better than I thought it would.
    • |
    Great photo's from Denise at Disneyland. Thought I might see Jeff Bridges making the rounds at Flynn's.
    • |
    Electronica - it's funny that something that has it's roots in the 80s is hip and edgy for Disney. If Tron Legacy is successful as a movie, it will be due in large part to the affection fans have for the old movie.

That's why Disney should embrace it's heritage and not try so hard to be hip and contemporary. A sore point for me is the attempt to modernize the World of Color theme song. WOC has all the 'wow' moments, you don't have to modernize the song. In fact the old song is what would bring that emotional tear-y feeling out even more. You say that only applies to the old people? Well, I believe if something has quality and draws on heritage, younger people will embrace it too.

The only other things that were hip and successful at DCA were Blast! and HSM, you have to have either quality (Blast) or heart (HSM) or both in order to make hip successful.

Far Far Away - Even with the attempts at theming, a steel roller coaster just doesn't cut it in a fully realized environment. Goldilocks and Friar - They should use characters actually seen in the movies, the Friar especially doesn't seem worthy of so much attention.

One more point - the Shrek movies are very successful at being hip, probably the model that other animated films try to emulate in their attempt to be hip - Where do most of the songs and cultural references come from? The 60s, 70s and 80s!
    Updated 10-09-2010 at 09:35 AM by Disneykin Kid
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid
    Electronica - it's funny that something that has it's roots in the 80s is hip and edgy for Disney. If Tron Legacy is successful as a movie, it will be due in large part to the affection fans have for the old movie.

That's why Disney should embrace it's heritage and not try so hard to be hip and contemporary. A sore point for me is the attempt to modernize the World of Color theme song. WOC has all the 'wow' moments, you don't have to modernize the song. In fact the old song is what would bring that emotional tear-y feeling out even more. You say that only applies to the old people? Well, I believe if something has quality and draws on heritage, younger people will embrace it too.

The only other things that were hip and successful at DCA were Blast! and HSM, you have to have either quality (Blast) or heart (HSM) or both in order to make hip successful.

Far Far Away - Even with the attempts at theming, a steel roller coaster just doesn't cut it in a fully realized environment. Goldilocks and Friar - They should use characters actually seen in the movies, the Friar especially doesn't seem worthy of so much attention.

One more point - the Shrek movies are very successful at being hip, probably the model that other animated films try to emulate in their attempt to be hip - Where do most of the songs and cultural references come from? The 60s, 70s and 80s!
    Daft Punk is scoring the soundtrack, which a lot of people who love techno and electronic music consider a very big deal, heck there were a lot of people who are into the dance/rave scene who were there last night. It will be a big hit because of the tron, techno, sy-fy, and special effects fanatics and believe it or not, girls who think the lead actor is hot will go see the movie just because of that.
    • |
    Great Update...enjoy it!...everyone!
    I do like this ...lovely castle... at
    UNIVERSAL STUDIOS SINGAPORE!
    Updated 10-09-2010 at 12:12 PM by Eagleman
    • |
    [quote=Disneykin Kid;bt14503]Far Far Away - Even with the attempts at theming, a steel roller coaster just doesn't cut it in a fully realized environment. Goldilocks and Friar - They should use characters actually seen in the movies, the Friar especially doesn't seem worthy of so much attention.[/quote]
    Sorry you are disappointed with what you saw. I am trying to give readers an entire overview of everything there is to be seen and done. I personally expected less from Universal and I was pleasantly surprised by the park as a whole. Now, in regards to the coaster.. I would agree with you but the same way you feel about it, is how I felt when Eisner decided to put carny mouse coasters in fully realized enviroments such as Toontown at DL, or the horrible Chester hester spinner coaster in DAK. So Disney is just as guilty as anyone else. The "Enchanted Airways" coaster was appropriate in my opinion... maybe because they still kept the same coaster-type as part of Universal's triumphant Harry Potter area of IOA, but you must have a positive view of what you have seen of USS so far since the coaster, which is such a miniscule part of the park, bothers you that much.
    • |
    I was at elecTRONica last night and, to say the least, it was not my cup of tea. I found the classic arcade games and the 21+ dance experience less than enjoyable. This was far from great for me, but I realize that there appears to be a large number of people who liked this and if the majority likes it I guess I can deal with it. I dunno, maybe I missed something...but for the time being, I remain unimpressed.

And as I type this I am preparing for this

But there were two redeeming factors of elecTRONica: the laserman show, and the fact that I recognized the host as a previous performer of Aladdin from Aladdin A Musical Spectacular

btw the last video you can see one of the girl performers dropped her disc thing, but what you can't see is that it rolled right into the hands of an 8 year old kids hands. Upon where the performer who dropped it came up and grabbed it back from the kid it would appear that there are no free souvenirs from elecTRONica
    Updated 10-09-2010 at 07:30 PM by canhasal
    • |
    I am impressed by Universal Singapore, but at the same time it looks *almost* right. It still looks a little cheap to me. The design is fabulous, but the materials and techniques used seem to be lacking. It may be because of the lack of building codes and standards in Singapore. Things are not built to last there. That Michael Hotel mentioned? They have expensive marble layered over unpainted, unsanded drywall in that hotel. The drywall is visible to guests. The Universal park seems to be built along similar lines.
    • |
    Don't see one of the highlights of ElecTRONica mentioned that I experienced during the opening night: There's a 3D preview of the actual TRON Legacy movie inside the Muppet Theater, complete with effects. Not sure if this was just for the opening night or not, but I'd guess they wouldn't go to all that trouble for one show. DON'T MISS THIS! It's AMAZING!!!
    • |
    I need to see this Tron setup, it looks awesome! Whoever chose Daft Punk to do the sound for the movie is really smart. Plus the 80's arcade (complete with music, methinks?)!

Totally my cup of tea. I wish Disney would do more movies/attractions like this.
    Updated 10-09-2010 at 09:20 PM by LAZ-E (grammar)
    • |
    I have to admit, the Dragon coaster does seem to have a pretty well themed queue area, and some parts of the coaster area look nice. It seems to fit into Far Far Away nicely.

When it comes the Gadget Go Coaster at Disneyland, I think it fits in. But I admit, basing it on a TV character wasn't the smartest idea.

I can certainly agree that the wild mouse coasters built at DCA and DAK with their cardboard cutouts in tight and tall structures look horrible. They make Gadget Go Coaster, the Barnstormer at MK, and all of Universal's small roller coasters look great, especially since they have a wider space and are more spread out. I certainly hope Disney never builds another wild mouse roller coaster with cardboard cutouts again. However, I think Universal should use the Wild Mouse roller coaster for a Gringotts Bank ride (in a enclosed building of course and not as compact to allow for more themeing.)

That said, I still dislike Universal's exposed full size coasters at USF and IOA (Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and Dueling Dragons) with its very barren ground (at least Hulk's ground level fits in, since it is in such a "on stage" area of the park), and it seems that Singapore has another set of exposed full size coasters (Battlestar Galactica). That is something I wouldn't want Disney to copy. But of course, Universal is free to go after the high thrill coaster seekers.
    Updated 10-09-2010 at 10:02 PM by jonyyeh (explained wild mouse coasters)
    • |
    The Tron dance routine and racy costumes reminds me of another movie, Ultraviolet starring Milla Jovovich (Resident Evil, The Fifth Element). The dance routine is strange in a Disney theme park.
    • |
    [quote=jonyyeh;bt14512]I think Universal should use the Wild Mouse roller coaster for a Gringotts Bank ride (in a enclosed building of course and not as compact to allow for more themeing.)[/quote]
    ^^^THAT is exactly what Disney did at Walt Disney Studios Paris and it's called Crush's Coaster. basically a wild mouse coaster with spinning vehicles. They put it inside a huge building.. did some theming in the queue and beginning of the ride, but once you get to the top of the coaster, its basically another Space Mountain type roller coaster in the dark, with projections of bubbles to simulate the australian water currents. It's very nausiating for me.
    • |
    Great Weekend Update. I would just love to visit that "Far Far Away land" in Singapore, if I could . I love the Shrek movies and that looks so awesome. I smiled when I saw Frier's restaurant . Because I remembered that is the place that the Fairy Godmother got food at.

Also great Yoda pumpkin. They did a good job with that.
    • |
    So the Friar character IS in one of the Shrek movies?? Thanks for telling us since there appears to be some people who did not know that. At least I have not seen the Shrefk movies so i am totally clueless about them. But I did thoroughtly enjoyed "Far Far Away".
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by canhasal
    But there were two redeeming factors of elecTRONica: the laserman show, and the fact that I recognized the host as a previous performer of Aladdin from Aladdin A Musical Spectacular
    Looking at the pictures of the show, the host looks like the guy who hosts the Disney California Adventure expansion updates.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh-hVgU-MTg]YouTube - Disney Calfornia Adventure- Summer Excitement![/ame]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast