View RSS Feed

Weekend Update

Bill Nye Science Guy; Melbourne Disney Exhibit; Disney Family Museum; Animal Kingdom

Rate this Entry
by , 02-25-2011 at 09:06 PM

Dear Weekend Update readers:

Do me a big favor this week, won't you?

Before you settle in to read the Update this week, please go find a loved one and give them a hug or call a special person in your life and tell them that you love them.

I'm just sayin'...

Bill Nye the Science Guy and more from Denise nbodyhome Preskitt

Bill Nye the Science Guy visited Epcot for a one day, 4 show offering as part of National Engineer's Week. The shows all were the same, 15 minutes in length with a 10 minute autograph session following. He and his assistant were showing how wood turned into gas before it would burn:

We have two videos of him - one is a whole presentation, this one is a shorter clip where he answers a question about Ellen's Energy Adventure:

The Epcot Flower and Garden Festival is just days away from opening! It looks really beautiful, here are some more photos of the displays. The first one is the checkered flag that will have Lightning McQueen and Mater under it, that is my favorite photo from this week:

Rapunzel's tower from Tangled:

And the Haunted Mansion now has new projections at the end - it's being called by some to be a "placeholder", but I'm not sure for what! The audio-animatronics are currently not there, nor is the ghost who rides with you:

Follow Denise's trips around Walt Disney World and beyond at her website: mousesteps.com.

Rya86n takes us to a Disney art exhibit in Melbourne, Australia

Disney Downunder

Whilst on a quick trip to Melbourne, the Disney geek in me, found the only Disney event in town; the Dreams Come True - The Art of Disney's Classic Fairy Tales exhibit, currently on display at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.

The exhibition presents Australian audiences with a rare opportunity to see original concept art, story sketches, animation drawings, marguettes and final frame cels drawn from the archives of the Walt Disney Animation Research Library. It showcases the work of many talented artists who have designed and animated some of Disney's most celebrated films.
The display collects over seventy-five years of legendary animation, from the early Disney shorts to the newest feature-length film, Tangled (2010) and is presented in eight sections.

From Walt's early animation beginnings, upto the Silly Symphonies shorts, and then onto other classic Disney films beginning with the one that started it all: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

Jumping forward a few years to the post war resurgence with Cinderella (1950)

Then another Disney classic, Sleeping Beauty (1959); featuring my personal favourite Disney villain, Maleficent.

Next step in the history, is the last Disney animation to be created using the traditional hand painted cels; The Little Mermaid (1989)

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Now, in the modern technological age, Princess and the Frog (2009) marked the return to traditional hand drawn animation.

Unseen in the exhibition in America, the newest addition to the Dreams Come True exhibition contains concept art and drawings from the most recent Disney animation, Tangled (2010)

RegionsBeyond has visited the Walt Disney Family Museum two times so far...

Took a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum this past weekend (my second, and it still was too much to look at to see everything...highly recommended.) Photos are not allowed in the main galleries, but some photos from the outside the paid areas, including the lobby featuring many awards given to Walt during his lifetime and some personal items.

First off, a bit of Disney animation and art history: Mary Blair's art desk from the studio.

I don't recall what this one was an award for, but it is certainly distinctive.

An award for the completion and profits of Snow White by an Italian film recognition board.

Awards from the Motion Picture Academy/Oscars

The famous award for Snow White, presented to Walt Disney by Shirley Temple

Original furnishings and fixtures from the Disneyland apartment:

A painting by Peter Ellenshaw, depicting Davy Crockett's cabin in wintertime. This hung over the fireplace in Walt and Lillian Disney's home.

One of three multiplane cameras invented and used at Disney Studios.

MiceChatter biggsworth travels to Animal Kingdom

Many folks write off Disney's Animal Kingdom Park as a half day sort of place. Other folks, though, savor the details, following every trail, exploring every corner, finding themselves not having enough time in a full day to see all they had hoped to.

Our thanks to MiceChat member biggsworth who has offered up a wealth of wonderful photos which show the rich theming, the animal residents, the intricate settings, and the lush vistas that make this park so compelling to a growing number of Disney park visitors. You'll find more photos along with biggsworth's commentary at the link to his trip report below.

Looking for up-to-date reports from Disneyland
including photos, gossip, park schedules and more?

Visit these MiceChat columns each week:

Every Friday: In the Parks

And that brings us to the end of another week. Our photographers have just enough time to reload their cameras before we see you all again next weekend. Thank you to all of our wonderful readers, and as always, a huge thank you to our amazing team of global photographers, spies, and gossips:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt (mousesteps.com)
SummerInFL (summerinfl.smugmug.com)
sir clinksalot
MickeyMaxx
CaptPhoebus
Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams
BigPigletFan
Abominable Snowman
Fishbulb
PhotoMatt
Jack Hollywood 1939 Wixom
Ken Eslick (DisneylandPostcards.net)
ichigopara (TokyoDisneySweets)
Roger55
Rya86n
KingEric

Your Editor - Rixter

Our thanks to our special contributor this week, biggsworth.

It is readers like you who make MiceChat such a special place.

Don't miss a single one of MiceChat's Featured Blogs (including the Weekend Update). Add our feed to your favorite feed software or site:

Follow us on Twitter

Submit "Bill Nye Science Guy; Melbourne Disney Exhibit; Disney Family Museum; Animal Kingdom" to Digg Submit "Bill Nye Science Guy; Melbourne Disney Exhibit; Disney Family Museum; Animal Kingdom" to del.icio.us Submit "Bill Nye Science Guy; Melbourne Disney Exhibit; Disney Family Museum; Animal Kingdom" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bill Nye Science Guy; Melbourne Disney Exhibit; Disney Family Museum; Animal Kingdom" to Google

Updated 04-16-2011 at 07:21 AM by Weekend Update

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

• |
    Great photos! Bill Nye ROCKS!
    • |
    Rickster: Done!

Denise: Would have loved to have met BILL BILL BILL Bill Nye the Science Guy!

Thanks for taking us with you Rya86n--my favorite was the 7 dwarves with just a couple of letters for each of their names.

Regionsbeyond-So want to see that museum!

Lovely pictures Biggsworth!
    • |
    Great update. I remember when Bill Nye started on Almost Live! in Seattle.
    • |
    I would have added some extra Bill Nye pics if I thought so many MC'ers were interested!
    • |
    Nice update!

Timekeeper
    • |
    Any mention/depiction of the Yeti in the Yeti museum on Expediton Everest has neglected to remark on his fantastic ability to assimilate the Disco moves of the '70's among his traits.
    • |
    Great update! I love Bill Nye so it would have been awesome to see him there.

And I'm glad (and hope) those Haunted Mansion projections are temporary. They look so tacky.
    • |
    From what I understand, the Haunted Mansion audio-animatronics are being upgraded and will be there again.
    • |
    Love the Walt Disney Family Museum! When I meet a fellow Disney Fan I always mention it, becuase its really a touching experience. We are planning on going again soon, (this post makes me want go now)...March is Mary Poppins month, woo hoo!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome
    From what I understand, the Haunted Mansion audio-animatronics are being upgraded and will be there again.
    That's great to hear, thanks.
    • |
    I love the all Disney updates! Thanks for so many great pics this week.
    • |
    Those pictures of Animal Kingdom are amazing. I always count the queues for Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids as my favourites. The temples that you walk through are unbelievably detailed.