View RSS Feed

Weekend Update

Odd Frisco; Aussie Zoo; Canadian Snow Day; Dalí Museum

Rate this Entry
by , 03-11-2011 at 08:33 PM

Welcome to our weekly trip around the world.

Our regular readers may remember our series of reports on wild and wacky Orlando that we titled "Oddlando". This week RegionsBeyond takes us to San Francisco in his report that we are calling Odd Frisco.

The craziness is followed by BC_DisneyGeek's Canadian snow day. Then we have a trip to an Australian zoo, courtesy of Rya86n. Last but not least, SummerInFL continues to surprise us with the amazing cultural offerings near her hometown of Tampa. This week we follow Summer to the Salvador Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg.

Keep your eyes peeled for the Disney references in this week's installment of the eclectic electric Weekend Update!

In the spirit of our trips to Oddlando, how about a trip to Odd Frisco?

Spent last weekend in San Francisco, hitting up some local oddities and attractions. First up was an antique mall in South San Francisco:

And yes, that is partly the remains of a mummified rooster.

Next up was the Musee de Mecanique, near Pier 39 and home to a really awesome collection of vintage amusement machines and mechanical entertainment devices. This collection was formerly housed at the Cliff House.

Also included was a stand up display about notable amusement parks in America, of course featuring this section:

Something folks should keep in mind

Last up was the Ripley's Believe it Or Not Museum, to round out the visit with oddities and assorted strangeness.

One thing I was not expecting: a band of mechanical representations of real human oddities serenading me with a Kesha song.

Bust of Robert Ripley and the first room of the museum.

Johnny Eck, famed sideshow and circus performer

One of several variations on the infamous Fiji Mermaid gaff

Major Daniel Sickles, who lost his leg in the Civil War and insisted the bones be placed in a museum. He visited his severed limb every year until his death.

Custom-built coffin shaped like a Coke bottle.

Wedding dress made entirely of toilet paper.

Portrait of Abraham Lincoln made entirely of pennies.

Display of face-molds of Angelina Jolie that deliver an effect similar to the staring busts inside Haunted Mansion.

And last but not least, Lady Gaga constructed out of assorted candies.

Hope you all enjoyed this little unusual trip into some of the city's stranger offerings, and thanks for looking!

Here's a beautiful snow day in British Columbia courtesy of BC_DisneyGeek

It snowed here a week-and-a-half ago. It was pretty, so I took some pictures. All taken in Burnaby, near the base of Burnaby Mountain, in various trails and suburban areas.

Baby elephant and more at the Melbourne Zoo with Rya86n

I had fun checking out Australia's oldest zoo at Melbourne Zoo on a rare bright sunny day recently.

Straight to the major attraction; the Elephants

Home to some brand new baby elephants

There is some great scenery at the zoo

Including these Elephant gates that made me feel like I was in Jurassic Park

Even the aviary screamed Jurasic Park

Walking through here, made me feel like I'd landed on Lost Island.

One of the newer exhibits; with an oceanic theme

A great aquariam enclosure and display

with seals

and penguins

They have Giraffes

Zebras

Ostrich

Lions

Tigers

and really big turtles!

Again the Disney fan in me tracked down the only Disney reference around

and before the day was done, I discovered my super hero calling...

Let's just say public toilets are very 'public' in Melbourne

SummerInFL takes us to the Salvador Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg

The Salvador Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida, houses the largest collection outside Europe of the works of the artist Salvador Dalí and is located on the campus of the University of South Florida St. Petersburg in downtown St. Petersburg. The newest facility opened on 1/11/11 and the building itself was designed to hold true to the eclectic personality that Dali was known for.

Like most art museums, no photography is allowed inside the galleries themselves but we were free to take as many photos of the interior building and outside. So while I'd love to share a photo of my favorite piece "Femme Couchee", unfortunately you'll just have to settle for a link to a print of it.

If you're a Dali fan then you must make this a stop on your visit to the Tampa Bay area, I recommend asking for the audio headphones which go into more historical detail regarding some of his most popular pieces, it really adds to the experience and its free! If you have children with you, they also provide a free scavenger hunt game with clues, which teaches while you play.

Looking for up-to-date reports from Disneyland
including photos, gossip, park schedules and more?

Visit these MiceChat columns each week:

Every Friday: In the Parks

And that brings us to the end of another week. Our photographers have just enough time to reload their cameras before we see you all again next weekend. Thank you to all of our wonderful readers, and as always, a huge thank you to our amazing team of global photographers, spies, and gossips:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt (mousesteps.com)
SummerInFL (summerinfl.smugmug.com)
sir clinksalot
MickeyMaxx
CaptPhoebus
Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams
BigPigletFan
Abominable Snowman
Fishbulb
PhotoMatt
Jack Hollywood 1939 Wixom
Ken Eslick (DisneylandPostcards.net)
ichigopara (TokyoDisneySweets)
Roger55
Rya86n
KingEric

Your Editor - Rixter

Our thanks to our special contributor this week, BCDisneyGeek.

It is readers like you who make MiceChat such a special place.

Don't miss a single one of MiceChat's Featured Blogs (including the Weekend Update). Add our feed to your favorite feed software or site:

Follow us on Twitter

Submit "Odd Frisco; Aussie Zoo; Canadian Snow Day; Dalí Museum" to Digg Submit "Odd Frisco; Aussie Zoo; Canadian Snow Day; Dalí Museum" to del.icio.us Submit "Odd Frisco; Aussie Zoo; Canadian Snow Day; Dalí Museum" to StumbleUpon Submit "Odd Frisco; Aussie Zoo; Canadian Snow Day; Dalí Museum" to Google

Updated 04-16-2011 at 07:20 AM by Weekend Update

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

• |
    Great update. Thanks.
    • |
    Does the tiger in the first picture have 3 front paws??!!
    • |
    Ah the Musee Mechanique in San Francisco. I can't go there without departing in tears. You see, my cousins once owned most of that collection! So when I go there, it brings back many precious memories. It's currently owned by Dan Zelinsky. His Dad purchased most of it from my family. However, there's another interesting Disney connection to the Musee Mechanique besides the photo display.

When it was in the ownership of my family, there were two wall size Regina Music Box'es. One was at the Musee for years but the Zelinsky's do rotate the machines so their Regina wall unit could be at their other business in Marin County. The two units are exactly the same minus one modification on the one owned by the Zelinskys. My relatives had a 25 cent slot added to the one that the Zelinsky's own.

Thus the question, what about the second identical unmodified Regina Music box? The Whitney's sold it to Mr. Laurie Hollings, who unbenownest to them, was purchasing it for Walt Disney! Guess where it is!? It's in Walt and Lilly Disney's apartment above the firehouse at Disneyland! I had the privledge of seeing it several years ago and the tour guide said not to touch the music box etc. You should have see the look on her face when I told her that I had both seen and played it's sister!!!
    • |
    I don't know I think it makes perfect sense that you would hear a Kesha song in a musuem filled with oddities.....
    • |
    Love all those photos!
    • |
    It's a wonderful update!

Timekeeper