View RSS Feed

Weekend Update

Disneyland's Fantasyland, Star Wars at Legoland; Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC

Rate this Entry
by , 04-08-2011 at 07:58 PM

It's been kind of a goofy weather week here in Southern California. Looks like the wind and rain dropped in for one last visit this season. Will the threat of rain keep the spring break crowds from the local amusement parks this weekend? Somehow I doubt it.

If you don't care to visit the parks in person this week, we have the perfect alternative. Spend a few minutes with the Weekend Update and take a trip around the world with us.

First up this week is RegionsBeyond with some photos of Disneyland's Fantasyland. Then we have David Yeh's coverage of the new Star Tours addition to Legoland in Carlsbad. The amount of care and detail that goes into the Miniland exhibit boggles the mind. And the maintenance of this outdoor area must be quite a challenge.

CaptPhoebus visited the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C. last weekend. His photos capture the beauty of this seasonal treat. Then we take a trip to Disneyland's Halloween Party with MiceChatter Abomibot. The costumes that were worn by these guys must be seen to be believed. We even have a "how-to" video if you want to recreate these amazing electrical extravaganzical costumes for yourself next Halloween.

Last up is a trip to Australia's Movieworld courtesy of Rya86n. If I ever get to that part of the world, this park will definitely be on my list of things to do.

Thanks for visiting the Weekend Update. Stay dry!

RegionsBeyond looks in on Disneyland's Fantasyland

To share this week, a look at some selected photos I took of the happiest realm of all, Fantasyland. Enjoy!

David Yeh: Star Wars comes to Legoland in Carlsbad

Legoland California is just one of many Legoland Theme Parks around the world. And while it is a bit too "kiddie" for my tastes, there is something about the Miniland that I very much enjoy. But let's get to the point... I'm here because I love Star Wars and Legoland just added a new realm of just that! There's a new land representing each film including an additional one for Clone Wars.

For Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Naboo was selected and rightfully so as there are three battles going on simultaneously.

This battle showcases young Anakin dodging Destroyer Droids before launching into space, Qui-Gon Jinn dueling with Darth Maul, and the Gungans vs the Droid Army.

The Planet Geonosis represents Episode II: Attack of the Clones, where half of the display is the arena battle, the other half is the war that follows.

In between Episode II and Episode III is when the popular Cartoon Network series The Clone Wars takes place. Here on the planet of Christophsis, a clone army lead by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker take on more invading droids.

The minland for Revenge of the Sith offers two planets, Wookiee planet Kashyyyk and Mustafar, the volcano planet.

The more iconic land of Tatooine represents the original Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope. Here we have the Mos Eisley Cantina and Spaceport with a full scale Millennium Falcon.

The Battle on Hoth is recreated for Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

And lastly we have the Ewok moon of Endor for Return of the Jedi.

This new land is certainly a worthy addition to Legoland and a great feature for Star Wars fans especially!

CaptPhoebus visited the cherry blossoms in Washington, D.C.

With Spring in the air, nature starts to wake back up. And one of the first signs of Spring is the blooming of the sakura, or cherry blossom, trees. I was able to get a chance this year to check out some of the festivities of the National Cherry Blossom Festival out in Washington D.C.. The trick is catching these beauties at the right time. The flowers only last and bloom for about a week, before they fall off. Come take a stroll with me around some of the Tidal Basin as we observe these magnificent blossoms.

The festival runs through this weekend, with the Parade and Street Festival going on this weekend.

Check out these incredible costumes that MiceChatter Abomibot wore to Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland last year

Last October we went to Disneyland for Mickey's Halloween Party wearing homemade, lighted MickeyTron costumes. We took tons of photos and videos and in this trip report I promised to share all this spring. And now seeing as April Fool's Day is upon us and Tron: Legacy will be released on Blu-Ray and DVD in just a few days I figure now is the perfect time.

I have three things to share with you: video of our two nights of fun in costume at Disneyland, a how-to/making-of video that gives you a look into what went into making these electroluminescent costumes, and a few photos. Enjoy!

MickeyTron Lunacy

Making-Of MickeyTron Lunacy Lighted Costumes

Tron: Legacy Posters Parodies

A Few Favorite Photos of Our Costumed Nights in Disneyland

I know the Halloween Party in Disneyland was controversial to some. But I have to say those were two of the most fun and magical nights we've ever had in the park and we look forward to many more awesome Disneyland Halloweens!

You can see tons more photos and get more information about the project on my personal web site ABOMIBOT.com.

Our correspondent down under Rya86n takes a trip to Movieworld

This week I was back at Warner Brothers Movieworld.

Taking a look at one of my favourite Aussie rollercoasters; Lethal Weapon - The Ride.

Lethal is a Velkoma Suspended Looping Coaster and the first inverted roller coaster in Australia.

Riders join in the queue by entering a Chinatown themed area, complete with a variety of facades.

The queue starts outdoors, adjacent to the service station themed ride shop.

The queue then moves inside;

Into a movie-theatre like hall.

Here riders can watch sequences of the Lethal Weapon film series, before progressing to the loading platform.

After leaving the theatre, riders progress into an area themed like an auto yard, with piled cars and graffiti.

Audio of barking dogs accompanies finer details like this.

The queue progresses up onto the platform, where riders heard the usual safety spiels.

The ride has previously operated with two trains, seating twenty riders each.

After boarding, the train climbs a 109ft lift hill, before dropping down a steep, curved drop to the right.

The train then enters the roll over, followed by a hill with a banked turn to the left.

At the bottom of the hill comes a sidewinder.

After a series of inline twists, the ride enters a final 180 degree turn and finishes with a unique additional helix just before the brake run.

The helix is the first 'Bayern Kurve' on a Suspended Looping Coaster.

After the ride, guests proceed past an observation deck for the ride and through the gift shop, where they arrive back in Chinatown.

Lethal Weapon - The Ride is full of 'firsts' for the Australian market. It is these elements that make it a unique experience and a fun and enjoyable ride.

It's younger brother, Superman: Escape only surpasses it in speed - but we'll save that for another update.

Visit these MiceChat columns each week:

Every Friday: In the Parks

And that brings us to the end of another week. Our photographers have just enough time to reload their cameras before we see you all again next weekend. Thank you to all of our wonderful readers, and as always, a huge thank you to our amazing team of global photographers, spies, and gossips:

Denise nbodyhome Preskitt (mousesteps.com)
SummerInFL (summerinfl.smugmug.com)
RegionsBeyond
Rya86n
KingEric
sir clinksalot
MickeyMaxx
CaptPhoebus
Ian Parkinson and Richard Williams
Jack Hollywood 1939 Wixom
Ken Eslick (DisneylandPostcards.net)
Roger55

Your Editor - Rixter

Our thanks to our special contributors this week, Abomibot and David Yeh.

It is readers like you who make MiceChat such a special place.

Don't miss a single one of MiceChat's Featured Blogs (including the Weekend Update). Add our feed to your favorite feed software or site:

Follow us on Twitter

Submit "Disneyland's Fantasyland, Star Wars at Legoland; Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC" to Digg Submit "Disneyland's Fantasyland, Star Wars at Legoland; Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC" to del.icio.us Submit "Disneyland's Fantasyland, Star Wars at Legoland; Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC" to StumbleUpon Submit "Disneyland's Fantasyland, Star Wars at Legoland; Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC" to Google

Updated 04-09-2011 at 06:18 PM by Weekend Update

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

• |
    Wow, thanks for including our costume project in the Update!!
    • |
    Those TRON Costumes are awesome!
    • |
    I'm always up for more RegionsBeyond photography! The pictures from the Star Wars area are cool. Moviewworld sure is well themed, shame nobody's there.
    • |
    Star Wars at both DL and Legoland, maybe they should do a cross promotion together

Seeing the Star Wars Miniland makes me think how AWESOME it would be to have a whole land or even park themed to Star Wars! Please please Disney!
    • |
    Lego Star Wars is a great addition to Legoland!

Those Tron costumes are amazing. What a lot of effort you put into them. Wish I had seen you there.

And where is everyone at Movieworld? I've heard of an off season, but seriously?

I was in Washington DC about 6 years ago but didn't get to see the Cherry Blossoms due to terrible, rainy weather. But every year I wear the Tshirt I purchased at the Smithsonian in honor of them.
    • |
    Nice update!

Timekeeper
    • |
    Maybe I need to see it in person, but many of the Star Wars Lego models seem kind of small. They don't appear to be much bigger, if at all, than many of the models one can buy at their nearest toy store.

Thanks to everyone for all the lovely photos, enjoyable to view as always!
    • |
    The Tron costumes are FANTASTIC! GREAT job guys! Very creative! However, I would have used EL tape instead of EL wire. EL tape is what they used in the movies, and comes in a lot of different widths. Regardless, you guys did a bang-up job! I'm sure you were very popular in the park!

Here's a link...Electroluminescent tapes
    • |
    Another great weekend update!
    • |
    Spent the day at Dreamworld today, and will have some great shots of their new exhibit, The White Lion Lair for next week!
    • |
    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek
    Maybe I need to see it in person, but many of the Star Wars Lego models seem kind of small. They don't appear to be much bigger, if at all, than many of the models one can buy at their nearest toy store.

Thanks to everyone for all the lovely photos, enjoyable to view as always!
    I used to help build the models at Legoland. The size of these are bigger than the sets sold in stores. The Lego person you get in a set is called a minifigure. The "people" of miniland are known as minilanders (so creative) and are 3 to 4 times the size of a minifigure. Also you can do a "bump count" and see how large a Lego brick is in comparison. The fun part of Miniland at Legoland is finding all of the hidden surprises! I only know of two in the Star Wars, but I have been told to keep my mouth shut and let guest find them! I know several in Las Vegas and New York as those were the buildings I worked on!