View RSS Feed

Orlando Parkhopper

Halloween Construction Updates!; Fantasyland Construction: A Detailed Look; Kinetix

Rate this Entry
by , 08-14-2011 at 09:42 PM

New this week:

• TIKI ROOM soft openings
  • Feature of the Week: Haunted Mansion
  • Dining Around the World: Mythos Restaurant
  • New Feature!!: Hidden Parkhopper
  • Fantasyland Construction: A Detailed Look
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid Closed for Refurb!
  • WDW Date Day: A Triumphant Trip Report
  • Halloween Horror Nights Update
  • Howl-O-Scream Construction Pics!

WALT DISNEY WORLD

TIKI ROOM SOFT OPENINGS
Finally, the Tiki room has returned! Well, perhaps not exactly the way you remembered it. But it is back and no longer under new management. An apparent fire in January closed the Tiki Room Under New Management facility. Then, during the Destination D event in Orlando, Disney fessed up to the rumors that the original show was coming back. It soft opened on Sunday and is now open to the public. Sadly, the show has suffered some budget cuts, including the loss of the Magic Fountain at the center f the room. Here are some pictures from one of the showings.

MiceAge columnist and Orlando Parkhopper team member, Kevin Yee has posted a comprehensive review of the revised Tiki Room show:

He writes
"The exact language they used was “based on the original show.” Would that mean it would be the same as Disneyland’s current show, which is essentially the original but without the Offenbach sequence? The verdict: mostly. That description is essentially correct, but they did snip out a few more things. Most of them are small, and I think it’s likely that casual visitors won’t even notice. That said, the diehard fans will care, and the changes are not for the better."

INTRODUCTIONS

Please help us welcome our new sponsor, Happy Limousine! When you are booking your transportation plans to and from the airport, to see Harry Potter at Universal, making your way to the Disney Cruise Line or anywhere you need to go, give our wonderful new sponsor a call first. Let them know you saw them on MiceChat and be sure to use the code below for the deepest discounts.

Happy Limousine, MiceChat's official partner for transportation to and from the Orlando Airport or anywhere you need to go in the Orlando area. Happy Limousine offers one of the newest and most diverse fleets in Orlando which include sedans,Suv's,vans,stretch limousines, minibuses and motor coaches. Happy Limousine can transport clients to any destination in the state of Florida.[/LEFT]

Use Discount Code MC5899 when booking your limo to receive the biggest discounts.

Please contact Happy Limousine toll free 1-877-642-7791 for further details. Nobody does better what they best!

FEATURE OF THE WEEK
Haunted Mansion

There is no doubt the Haunted Mansion is a classic attraction, possibly the quintessential Disney experience. It combines a memorable setting and characters, fantastic special effects, and music that adds to the overall experience. In Walt Disney World, new changes have been introduced in recent years with the introduction of new scenes, new effects, and a new interactive queue, while all but a few have been universally praised, it's hard to deny the staying power of this iconic attraction. There is something about seeing the Mansion loom over the Rivers of America, hear the music and howl of the wolves, and, especially at night, walk through the queue around the corner to the entrance, seeing no one behind you yet constantly checking over your shoulder and feeling the presence of someone else. It's an attraction that transports you to another time and place, one of the best things that Disney attractions do, and while it is decidedly a silly spook house, it's still a lot of fun, and I couldn't think of a better way to spend an evening, or any time of day, than with those "Grim Grinning Ghosts."

HIDDEN PARKHOPPER
Where are the Parkhoppers this week? It's up to you to decipher the picture and see if you can find us. Every week we'll provide a partial image of a photo and it will be your job to guess where you think we're hiding! The 1st person to guess correctly will have their name featured in the following week's game listed along side the correct answer. Good luck!!

Week 1

MAGIC KINGDOM

FANTASYLAND CONSTRUCTION
Observations regarding the Fantasyland construction thus far through a look at a Disney Blog video.
- SummerinFL

Disney Imagineering recently released a video regarding the technology available to them and how it helps them avoid any construction conflicts in the field through the use of 3D imaging and tablets. While interesting in its own right, what I found even more appealing was the more detailed look at the Fantasyland construction images, drawings and composites that they shared within the video.

In this 3D rendering of what looks to be the Beauty and the Beast restaurant building, you can see a great deal of layering, complete with how it relates to the land around it. Notice the date of 04/16/11, which would imply the proposed date this portion of the construction was either completed or should have been completed.

Here we see another point of view that shows the front side of the same building, complete with what appears to be a forested layover. I sincerely hope this is the case as having that immersion will be key in getting people to believe they are in the forested area of Beast’s castle.

With Beast's castle in the background, the rock wall is interesting in that it creates the illusion needed to make the castle appear larger than it really is, as well as set up, what I assume, is the entrance to the restaurant inside.

Also provided is a sneak peek at some sculptures, which seem to take on some characteristics of the resident beast!

It will be interesting to see the completed product as it is labeled to be 6ft tall, which could prove to be very towering to a young child’s perspective. Can you imagine walking through the doors at the age of five and being greeted by this massive creature?

The interior of the restaurant most have seen before, I’m looking forward to seeing some of the magical aspects of this location, specifically the idea of it snowing outside the castle windows.

Another sculpture of Beauty and the Beast, while it doesn't clarify where where it will be located while watching the video, they go from this photo and then point to an overhead portion of the banquet hall. I imagine if they put it up high it will be akin to the characters you’d find in the Disney stores with small figures looking down on you from above.

More of Belle’s Cottage, with some outside details and markup.

Which brings us to the outside of the Little Mermaid attraction, with the detailed rock wall and Prince Eric's castle protruding out of the rocks in red.

Following that they zoom through to show how it nicely transitions into the queue for the Little Mermaid attraction.

I certainly hope this is just for construction purposes and the doors won’t be left in a non-themed manner as shown below.

Going through the doors, you find yourself in the queue, with the attraction cars through the arches on the right.

With the queue progressing straight and then into an open area inside the building to the left, will be wonderful for a few reasons, air conditioned waiting for one and it keeps you away from the rain that frequents the “Sunshine State” for two.

^Also note in this photo the clamshell style cars on the right will be visible for a good portion of the queue.
Which leads us to the attraction itself, with the beginning of the attraction progressing into what looks like the remains of a sunken ship.

More of the interior of the ship. As I haven’t seen anything of the California version, I'm sure someone can weigh in and let us know if it’s the same as its DCA counterpart?

As we progress it appears we enter an underwater cavern.

The biggest scene in the attraction with the above water features, which I’m hoping will look more realistic and really give you the feeling like you’re underwater, that’s a large aspect of what will make it believable for me overall. It's such a difficult illusion to pull off though, I hope they won't employ the same effects they have on The Seas With Nemo and Friends

It’s neat to see how they will be covering up this large catwalk above the big scene below and if these renderings are any indication, a huge testament to how much thought and effort goes into something like this.

Overall it was a really informative video and it gave me a lot of things to be excited about. One can only hope that the final product will be reflective of something we will all be happy with. For now I’ll just have to leave my speculating to riding Dumbo and taking photos of all the action.

KEVIN'S CORNER
Kevin shares with us his thoughts regarding the changes and updates going on within the parks through this nicely put together video.
- Kevin Yee
http://www.youtube.com/embed/DodjQlhPT0k

DATE DAY
The triumphant return of Date Day!
- RooBear

I've always loved my wedding anniversary. I mean, really. It was right at the beginning of August, so it helps to give a last “hurrah” before the summer mournfully draws the curtains into the third act of autumn. Of course, this is something of a misnomer as I live in Florida.

Summer never really ends.

So my bio-clock gets all messy. Nothing like wearing shorts on Christmas Eve, lemme tell ya.

This summer, however, was something of a bust. I decided that life was waaaay too simple and figured, to add some excitement, I would go ahead and bust my knee. The fracture was quite simple. Hop on a treadmill and run, trying to look extra studly.

Snap.

When August rolled around, I knew I had to get up and prance some in the parks. It was time for another awesomesauce Date-Day. Our quest today? Another Magic Kingdom eatery, Pinocchio’s Village Haus (strange, ‘cause I thought it’d be Italian“Casa,” but what do I care, I’m there to eat); and our riverboat, The Liberty Belle. We’d yet had a chance to experience them both together.

See? I thought this was an Italian tale...go figure...

Now the Village house is far from romantic, but then again, really, would I be in the Magic Kingdom if we wanted candlelight and serenading? We’re slowly still experiencing the eateries the MK offers—and this one is a mixed bag of issues.

Nice glasswork, I might add...

The entrance pipes you in to the back where the counter is located. Now the menu is on high, just like in a fast-food joint, so many, unfamiliar with what to order, tend to stop at the end of the queue and stare upwards, not unlike people arriving from the Long Island Railroad into Manhattan for the first time. Everyone’s craning their necks up to the skyscrapers. No different here—but on a hot day (really, when is there NOT a hot day in Florida, come to think of it…) when tempers are curt, slamming into the back of sweat-laden Aunt Pearl from Peoria does not enhance the flavor of the upcoming meal. So, should you decide to try this place out—go get on the line by the cashier, then stare upwards at the menu. It’ll help you get your food faster.

Is the food great? Better than some. I’ve always felt thehamburgers are basically bread-meat at Disney World. Since most meatballs are basically bread and meat—it works well with a meatball sandwich. However, this is a starch delight restaurant with noodles, breaded chicken served as chicken parmesan and those bready meatballs. The sauce is communal, meaning it’s basically slathered on everything coming out from the back—so it is dry, the water leeched out from sitting all day. Luckily, there is a salad and it is huge. Prices are Disney prices. You catch my drift there.

That, there, is our spread--a meatball sandwich, caesar to share and chicken parmesan.

However, what makes this slightly better than other places in this park is the size of the dining room. Sure, just like at every other fast food eatery, there are kids darting to-and-fro, usually right under the tray you’re balancing with for soda pops, but most of the pathways are well marked and I noticed the staff was out in force when we there, singing happy birthday (repeatedly---who knew so many people shared my anniversary!) to everyone and playing with puppets to keep kids busy when they’re waiting. A nice touch. The artwork is actually fairly detailed, missed by the general populace. And another fun view is on the far wall. We may not have the Blue Bayou hanging out in our Pirates, but we do have the Village Haus slightly glancing into It’s a Small World.

Castmembers being awesome!

The glass is sound proof. You’re safe if you don’t want to hear that song again and again and again….
…and again. Curse you catchy tunes!

I am continuously amazed, on one of the hottest summers,that there are attractions that are practically a walk on. Such is the Liberty Belle. Yes, if you rode the Admiral Fowler in for Early Morning Hours, you may have a bit of flashback. But once it is over, you may notice that the guests are young and old, new and veteran. That says something. I immediately noticed there was no air conditioning and no bathrooms. No mint juleps or even legalized gambling. But still, people were hopping into this brief, twenty minute cruise.

It would be better with the mint juleps; it would be much better if we had the chairs that Disneyland has-and I would be better with twenty or so less pounds. None of this is going to happen immediately. So we have to go with what we have. And here, that's okay.

And what we have is an amazing way to see Disney World. Like Tom Sawyer Island, this boat removes you from the gazillion or so guests trying to have a unique experience as the same time as you. Sure, there were a godly number on the three decks, but they seemed distant and calm. I noticed the tranquil of our Rivers of America really does take a bite out of the day and brings a patron back to center.

Disney being Disney, they do have items on the shores to watch for, but, truly, it isn’t needed. There are terrific views of the Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. There are small alcoves with drawings from the time the riverboat would have been in operation. With three decks, there is also a feeling of being above it all.

Still, it can get moist on the river, as it were—did I mention that there is no air-conditioning? But, after a few minutes, I didn't mind.

We also did something else this trip that was novel and not on our original agenda. Disney is one of those places that if you didn’t go on a single attraction, you could, still, legitimately, get a good deal of your money’s worth. Shows and parades and fireworks abound.

Then there’s the Flag Retreat. I understand Walt’s great respect for the military and, evermore so now; this brief but poignant presentation carries an added weight at this time. All joking aside, it was an excellent dedication to our men and women in the Armed Forces, and I highly acclaim this service should you get a chance. It should not take long from your day. I know I will see it again, having a great many family and friends serving.

That ended our day. We were impressed with the Flag Retreat and commend the Liberty Belle and the Village Haus to some extent as well. How’s about you go and tell us what youthink?

DISNEY'S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS

Voyage of the Little Mermaid will be down for refurbishment August 14th through September 3rd.

DOWNTOWN DISNEY
Downtown Disney will play host to a Modern Dance Experiance featuring "The Yow Dance Company" on August 17th and 20th. The Yow Dance Company will perform three dance vignettes set to classical, contemporary and Disney classic music.

Each vignette will be about 5-10min long. Show times and locations will be:
8 p.m. - Westside Green Space
9 p.m. - Marketplace Waterside Stage
10 p.m. - Westside Green Space

To learn more about The Yow Dance Company you can visit their website at Yow Dance Home

DINING AROUND THE WORLD
Mythos Restaurant
Miles Bresin

This past weekend I had the pleasure of eating at a fantastic Restaurant, Mythos.

I find the quality of most food in Universal better quality and taste over the smaller restaurants over at Disney. This very much holds true to Mythos. The restaurant is themed after the Greek gods. Our great waiter took our order and drink orders without a single note jotted down. First came the soup and side salad. I didn’t get to try the soup but I did eat the salad.

The portion size as you can see is very small, but it was lunch/dinner so it was a decent size for a lunchtime meal. The salad was VERY good. Not the best I’ve ever had but for a theme park it was very good. Next came our courses which I had the pleasure of trying my friends as well. I ordered the grilled chicken bacon ranch sandwich.

This was some of the best cooked chicken I have ever gotten in a theme park restaurant, it was cooked to perfection. After I devoured my sandwich and mashed potatoes my friend offered to let me try her Alfredo.

Mythos serves pasta of the day, and the pasta was alfredo with a bunch of other ingredients. My friend ordered it plain though and this was a pretty good dish as well. Overall the meal was one of the best I’ve had in a theme park for the price. The prices were low but the dishes just a bit to small. The taste of the place was definitely worth it though. I highly recommend this restaurant.

HALLOWEEN HORROR NIGHTS UPDATE
Some more clues have been revealed for us to speculate on this years theme.
Disnyfan89

It's officially August which means we are one month closer to Halloween and this is when things start getting good! This week was a HUGE week for Halloween Horror Nights (HHN) news. Looks like Universal has rolled up their sleeves and is ready to begin their Marketing push.

First things first! Universal Orlando started an official HHN Twitter account and can be found here: Twitter

They sent out this deliciously teasing first tweet :

You asked for it, remember that. We will haunt, taunt & direct... or misdirect you for Halloween Horror Nights 21 at Universal Orlando. #HHN

Along with their new twitter account the official HHN Facebook account got a new page that includes photos, a video and (wait for it).... a HINTS PAGE!

And on this hint page we also got our first teaser image from inside one of the houses:

What does this image mean? While we're not sure of the exact details we suspect this image is in one of our "Tent" houses and the color scheme is similar to the colors usually found in "3-D" houses. We will still have to wait a little longer to find out more but things sure are looking good.

If all this wasn't enough to get you in a HHN mind set then hold onto your horses because we also got a HHN website update. Now let’s take a second to talk about the HHN website. For the most part, the average guests going to the HHN website uses it for three reasons. One, to learn about this year's event dates, two, to buy their tickets and three, learn about the haunted houses and scarezones. They're not looking for frill or thrills. In fact, most guest don't start visiting the site until September when the billboards, radio ads, and TV commercials start rolling out. But as you, our loyal readers know the HHN website rolled out in July and we have been getting little hints and teasers here and there. At this point in the game everything the HHN creative team does on the website beyond basic ticketing and date information is for us, the FANS of HHN! So we want to give a big THANK YOU to the HHN Creative team for taking the time and dedication to create bonus features on the site for us "Fans!" With that said, lets dive into the new site features:

This week the website updated with a set of "Games" to play. These games provide more than just a way to kill a few minutes (or hours if you're unlucky enough) but also start to provide clues and hints to this year's haunted houses.

We are first brought to this page asking us if we want to "Step In" or "Turn Back"?

This provides us a look of an abandoned room leading to a closet. The idea of a casino has been thrown around this year as a possible "setting" for this year's event. Perhaps our Casino's location is located in some abandoned building that only a select few know of or more likely it has much deeper sinister roots than we know.

At this point you need to sign up to get in. This can prove to be tricky for some as there are some bugs to be worked out (for example it doesn't accept e-mails with a “_”). Luckily we have done the hard part for you! Once in you are given "90 tokens" and presented with a silver tray containing three cards.

Pick carefully, one's a trap and will take away 30 of your tokens. (If you lose all your tokens you are "Banished" from the site for one hour!) When you pick a card it will take you to one of two strings of games.

The first and easiest game involves a telephone and TVs. First you are presented with a telephone with two lines blinking and a note. "Re: Job Offer, Line two the Taxidermy Company. Line 10 is WKNB, the television station."

Clicking on line two you lose 30 tokens but clicking on line 10 you advance on to the next level of the game. Here you are presented with nine TV sets and told you have to turn on six (which then display a campy black and white horror film) but if you get three with a "technical difficulties" symbol games over and you lose 30 tokens and are sent back to the card tray. (Or worse, banished for one hour).

So what does this game tell us? It looks like one of our Houses will most likely take place at a television station (WKNB) set in the 70's (based on style of phone, tv ads, and the lava lamps). HHN also has had a history of Campy or Dark Humor houses in the past. Place your bets now for a late night horror host at our TV station taking us on a horrifying trip through some campy horror films. I always find these dark humor houses fill me with the same joy one may get from the Holidays.

The second, and much more difficult game starts at a snow covered cemetery with three graves. You are urged to pick the one that "Provides Rest and Peace." You must click on the right grave (literally) in order to advance. Upon clicking the right grave a name is quickly revealed. Another clue perhaps?

/

From here we travel deeper into the cemetery and are presented with three tombs and five keys. You must, in the correct order, match the corresponding key to the appropriate tomb and you can only make three mistakes before being kicked out and have to start all over again. Upon guessing the correct key the door to the tomb opens and a blue lantern lights up.

What can we conjecture about this game? Quite simply we can look for a haunted graveyard to possibly one of our houses this year with ghosts floating about. Also, our Lady Elizabeth Hawthorr brings many questions. Hopefully we will be learning more about our "Lady" latter on. After all, Sinatra said it best: "Luck be a Lady tonight."

So what happens when you "win" these games of chance? You are brought to a "The House". A stack of cards that as you win each game gets bigger and bigger. You also have eight chips at the bottom of the screen (One to represent each house?) that are filled in half way when you win each game. So far this is as big as the house gets and as you can see no matter how many times you complete each game you can only fill in half a chip.

Perhaps, this card house we are building is a representation of wherever our "games" takes place. All we know for sure is that this is just the beginning and there are still more to come.

And if all this excitement isn't enough for you there's still more. Earlier this week the HHN Facebook posted this:
‎'To wait for luck is the same as waiting for death.’ – Japanese Proverb. Be one of the first 21 people to email [email protected] with your full mailing address, and then just wait…

Those lucky few 21 individuals (and a few select other individuals) where lucky enough to receive a playing card in the mail from Universal. The card looked a little like this:

This marks a first for HHN. Never before has the creative team sent out a special individual "clue" to fans and it looks like this is just a start! It appears Universal will be sending out more cards once a week through their facebook. You just have to keep a look out for them asking you to send them your information.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! Yes you read that right! There is still more! As I type this @UORHHN has just sent out their next clue. This time in the form of a youtube video:
A sick, sick sound? Or a sweet one? Either way, it leads to a memento for you… ‪HHN 21‬‏ - YouTube

Looks like they are prepping their next give away.

As usual, stay tuned to us here at OPH to bring you all the exciting news and information for Halloween Horror Nights 21.

All photos: 2011 Universal Orlando Resort. All Rights Reserved.

SEA WORLD: A VISIT - PART I
Disnyfan
Disnyfan89

Sea World is a very unique park. The best way I have heard it describe is that it is the park to go too when no one in your party can agree on what park to visit. The reason why this makes sense is because Sea World really has a little something for everyone but not in a everything is for everyone sort of way. It's got your major Roller Coasters for your thrill junkies, your shows and kid rides for the juniors, your other shows for the family and old folks and other things for you to decide who they fit too. I personally love Sea World for their shows and Animal Exhibits and loathe them for their slack-tastic front line "Team Members" and ride operations. Overall though a day at Sea World is one well spent if you are looking for a very laid back go with the flow theme park day.

It had been almost a year since my last visit when my friend who hasn't been in about five years asked if we could go. I thought it would be a great opportunity to experience some things I've never done as well as revisit some of my favorites.

We started our day in the Key West section of the park.

It's Manta! Sea World's newest coaster and Florida's only "Flying" coaster.

Manta is unique in the fact that after you sit down and strap yourself in they rotate the seats so that you're lying on your belly to create the sensation of "Flying".

Sea World also has another major coaster called "Kraken" which was the world's first non-inverted floor-less coaster. Both coasters where designed and manufactured by B&M. (My favorite coaster designers)

Manta also brought with it a great new Aquarium Exhibit! There is two ways to view the Aquarium, 1) you can view most of it while waiting in the often long line for Manta OR 2) you can enter through a separate entrance.

Inside you can see various fish exhibits but most focusing on different types of rays.

This guy just needs some people strapped to his Belly.

Bizarre fish or a piece of a plant? You decide!

Boy:"Dad, what type of fish are those?" Dad: "There Manta Rays" Me: *Facepalm*

After taking a spin on Manta we decided it was time for food! My companion talked me into getting Sea World's Meal Deal. Pay $30 bucks and you can eat and drink all day!

They make you wear these wristbands to tell everyone around you just how much of a big you are!

Your meal deal allows you to go to most quick service food locations and you can get one entree with side, an additional larger side/dessert and one large fountain drink of choice or water bottle. Sea World has some great food too! We enjoyed Ribs, Burgers, Salads,fresh fruit like strawberries, grapes, watermelon and we even had Pizza! Plus a sweet or two (or five!)

Instead of a picture of Sea World's more unique food offerings here's a picture of a burger! YUM!

I think the meal deal is a great deal if you plan to be in the park for a long period of time. You can enjoy your breakfast first thing in the morning, then have a great lunch, end with dinner, and grab snacks as you need them through out the day. I personally feel the meal deal was worth it just so I could walk into a restaurant and grab a drink or bottle of water and go with out having to wait in line to pay.

After we got our grub on we decided to share the love and go feed some dolphins.

Located in the Key West section of the park is a huge Dolphin interaction pool. In the past you used to be able to go any time you want to any area of the Dolphin pool railing and get up close and personal with the Dolphins to "meet" and, for lack of a better word, "pet" them. And if you so choose they had a stand selling fish to feed to the dolphins. In the past couple of years however that changed. They now have fenced off the majority of the pool and if you wish to access it you have to come at specific feeding times and pay $7 to feed a dolphin.

As our good friend Kevin would say I feel this is a "Decline by Degrees". What bugs me about the process is the viewing area that is reserved for guest who decide not to fork out the $7 bucks to feed the dolphins is sent to viewing areas either over looking the Dolphin pool or all the way down at the end of the pool that the dolphins never really frequented all that much to begin with! (It's even harder now cause the dolphins have learned the food only comes from one side of the pool.) Even if you just want to watch a family member feed a dolphin and take photos in the feeding area you HAVE to pay the $7 or be ushered to one of the viewing areas 100 of yards away to watch. I never fully supported this operation because of the cheep/ripoff standards it creates. (Wanna see a Dolphin up close? Then you gotta pay us more money so we can make a profit off of food we have to budget for anyways to feed our dolphins!) However, my friend being a huge lover of Dolphins just had to feed one and paid so I could too.)

They bring you in in groups after you pay and first have you stand back from the wall to explain safety and feeding rules.

Then you are invited to step forward and an individual walks a round and places a paper tray of four fish in front of you.

While not a fan of the way the operation is handled I do have to admit spending the time with the Dolphins is well worth it if you just GOTTA do it!

If you wish to "pet" the dolphins you gotta be fast as you toss a fish in their mouths to use your other hands to rub their chin. Or, you gotta have long arms like myself to "pet" them as they swim by (usually just far enough away for the average guest to not be able to reach them. Playful arn't they?)

BUSCH GARDENS ROUND UP
Howl-O-Scream updates, construction photos and a look at Kinetic's stage/show!
Aimster

Over at Busch Gardens, construction is underway of the mazes for Howl-O-Scream. Over in the covered seating area in Jambo Junction (behind the giant tortoise habitat), building is well underway on the "Death Row Vengeance" maze.

There's a new addition to Jambo Junction itself, a female bald eagle named Kamali.

Over at the "Dance to the Music" show at the Desert Grill, I saw something interesting. When the cast member who does the new Stevie Wonder tribute isn't there, they switch it out and do an Elton John tribute and perform "Bennie & the Jets".

By the time this week's Orlando Park Hopper is published, the Summer Nights promotion at Busch Gardens will have wrapped up the night before, but let's take another look at the very popular nighttime spectacular, Kinetix.

The very colorful stage

Let's take a closer look...

The show:

I'm really hoping Busch Gardens brings this amazing show back next summer!

Kennedy Space Center - Star Trek Exhibit
Now through September 5th
Appearing for the first time in Florida, STAR TREK: THE EXHIBITION, presented by EMS Exhibits, Inc., is an interactive exhibit of authentic Star Trek artifacts from the past 45 years, featuring one-of-a-kind costumes, props and filming models from Star Trek television series and feature films. Together these elements offer, Star Trek fans and novices alike, an opportunity to experience first-hand the imagination, artistry, technology and meticulous craftsmanship that have made Star Trek the most enduring science fiction franchise in history.

Games People Play

Now through September 10th - Orange County Regional History Center - Orlando, FL
Starting with the pinball machine, journey through time to discover how electronic games have evolved, through the first computer games and rise and fall of the arcade, to the advanced game consoles of today.

Orlando Science Center - Guitar: The Instrument that Rocked the World
Now through September 11th
The National GUITAR Museum announced that its touring exhibition, GUITAR: The Instrument That Rocked The World will launch worldwide at the Orlando Science Center. The 5,000 square foot will explore the history and evolution of the guitar-from lutes and lyres to modern high-tech instruments-and show how the instrument became the cultural symbol it is today.

Where the Past Meets the Future: The Art of Fay Grajower
Now through September 28th - Florida Holocaust Museum - St. Petersburg, FL
Boston artist, Fay Grajower, provides insight to viewers about the second generation of Holocaust survivors through her art. The artist uses her acquired memories of her mother’s and siblings’ experiences to work through issues of the past. Grajower commonly uses symbols and metaphors in her colorful, mixed-media artworks.

Women of Ybor: 125 Years of Influence
Now through October - Ybor City Museum - Ybor City, FL
A new exhibit honoring the amzing contributions women have made to Ybor City throughout its 125-year history is on display at the Ybor City Museum State Park. History is often told from a male perspective, while the equally-important female story often goes untold. This exhibit seeks to tell that story by exploring the role some of Ybor's earliest women had in shaping the town, as well as the positions women would hold as Ybor's history unfolded. You will learn of womens' contributions to almost every aspect of the community, including business, education, medicine, the arts, and civic life.

Don't forget to check out the other areas of MiceChat that offer news, updates and photos about the other Disney Parks around the World!

• MiceTube - Introducing MiceChat's new channel on YouTube. Kevin Yee and MiceChat Sarah have been uploading entertaining videos weekly, along with many other of your MiceAge and MiceChat favorites.

• Dateline Disneyland which is packed with great news and photos from the Disneyland Resort.
  • Weekend Update Offers a world of Disney theme parks as well as other sights and landmarks!
  • In The Parks offers news, updates and tips from Disneyland and other Southern California offerings.
  • SAMLAND - Your weekly look at some interesting tales from Disney history.
  • And you'll always find something of interest on the forums or MiceAge!
  • MiceDeals - We are just about to launch a brand new daily deals site for Disney and theme park fans. Every day a different deal. You won't want to miss out on these great deals for Orlando and Anaheim, sign up for the daily deal emails today!

Show us you appreciate this column by sharing this page with your friends!

We want your photos! Contribute to the Orlando Parkhopper by emailing [email protected] with your submissions. We welcome volunteers for single contributions as well as permanent "Parkhopper" staff.

Thanks to our fantastic and talented crew of writers, photographers and news contributors who work hard every week to bring you the latest information available:

Today's update was made possible by the WONDERFUL folks at Happy Limousine, MiceChat's official partner for transportation to and from the Orlando Airport or anywhere you need to go in the Orlando area. Happy Limousine offers one of the newest and most diverse fleets in Orlando which include sedans,Suv's,vans,stretch limousines, minibuses and motor coaches. Happy Limousine can transport clients to any destination in the state of Florida.

Happy Limousine offers luxury transportation at a budget price. MiceChat readers get a very special rate:

• $5.00 off sedans, vans, suv's from Orlando International Airport to any Disney World or local Orlando hotel.
  • $10.00 off stretch limousine and buses from Orlando International Airport to any local area hotel.
  • $10.00 off published sedan & minivan rates from Orlando International Airport to Port Canaveral.
  • $15.00 off published SUV and 10-14 passenger van rates from Orlando International Airport to Port Canaveral
  • $20.00 published stretch limousine and bus rates from Orlando International Airport to Port Canaveral
Use Discount Code MC5899 when booking your limo to receive discounts.

Please contact Happy Limousine toll free 1-877-642-7791 for further details. Nobody does better what they best!

Please mention the discount code at the time of booking. Coupon code only valid for round-trip transfers to and from MCO, SFB and Port Canaveral. Discount code cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts and has no cash value.

Submit "Halloween Construction Updates!; Fantasyland Construction: A Detailed Look; Kinetix" to Digg Submit "Halloween Construction Updates!; Fantasyland Construction: A Detailed Look; Kinetix" to del.icio.us Submit "Halloween Construction Updates!; Fantasyland Construction: A Detailed Look; Kinetix" to StumbleUpon Submit "Halloween Construction Updates!; Fantasyland Construction: A Detailed Look; Kinetix" to Google

Updated 08-17-2011 at 04:36 AM by SummerInFL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

• |
    The hidden parkhopper is sum of all thrills.
    • |
    Another great update, and I'm glad to see some quality Universal Orlando info.
    Thanks for all your hard work.
    • |
    Might I just say, only in America would those portions at Mythos be considered "very small". I understand wanting more bang for your buck at a theme park, but American portion sizes are out of control. I wish more restaurants would start serving food in those amounts, I am always taking food home (except at a theme park, where I leave it half uneaten).
    • |
    Fabulous update as always, I laughed I cried, two thumbs up!

Love the idea for hidden parkhopper! (Bummed I wasn't first)
    • |
    Not happy about the Tiki Room cutbacks. Let's all sing at Disney World management . . . cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap.

Even when they try to do the right thing, like restore a classic old attraction, they do so in the most obviously budget minded way. This is exactly why Disney World is losing it's magic. . . the people in charge don't know what magic is, they only know what it costs.

Please be sure to share that message with all the senior Disney folks you see at the D23 Expo.
    • |
    yes, the Orlando version is very much like the little mermaid ariel's undersea adventure in California
    • |
    the only thing i hope for in TLM ride? a better ending than ours
    • |
    I love the picture of the dragon sea horse. They are such beautiful creatures and a shame they are dissapearing