• Pilot EdForceOne

Problems with thread marking system

I'm not sure what system Micechat is using, but I figure it's worth reporting the problems I'm seeing.

First, the system often continues to mark threads as unread with new posts, even though the posts have been viewed. Ironically it's not always all threads, but only some that somehow get 'missed' even though all threads were viewed the identical way.

Second (and probably simple known limitation) is that the marking system does not work well across multiple computers. If I read threads on one computer, and then goto another computer, they still show as having unread posts in my UserCP when viewed from another computer (even some time later).

I know with DB thread marking these things aren't issues and work well on other vb sites, but I don't know if Micechat uses that (given the site's size).
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: Problems with thread marking system

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I know with DB thread marking these things aren't issues and work well on other vb sites, but I don't know if Micechat uses that (given the site's size).
    We don't, we use the cookie system (DB would be too intensive for our load). Threads that seem to get 'skipped' are generally because the last page of posts isn't loaded. If you don't look at the last page, it doesn't 'mark' it as read. As well, logging out and back in clears the read counters, and can solve some of the abnormalities.
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Would it be possible to have a marking system that saves which threads you HAVEN'T read? Sometimes I have to log out without finishing reading everything. I wouldn't want to lose my spot really.

Is this an option even?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    We don't, we use the cookie system (DB would be too intensive for our load). Threads that seem to get 'skipped' are generally because the last page of posts isn't loaded.
    I know in the 'skipped' examples I have in my UserCP right now, I know for sure I read the last post.

Or other anomalies like showing a thread as having unread posts.. yet I'm the last one who posted in it, and I would see my post after the post was created.

Or things like going to first unread... even in a thread with new posts.. takes you to a post you already have read.

But now that you've confirmed you use the cookie system, it's ok. I don't put much faith in that thing anyways, but I understand the concern over the DB load on large sites with the alternative.

I manage within the current limitations if not, I'll bitch to vb directly and see what they say.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged