Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM Confusion

• Senior Minion

PM Confusion

I have a notification telling me I have a new PM to view, however, when I go to that page, there are no new PM's visible (haven't gotten one in ages).

Can someone clue me in as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: PM Confusion

We had an issue today involving a scammer. The messages have been removed from the site.

If by any chance you clicked the link, just to be safe, I HIGHLY recommend changing your passwords.
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 10-15-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: HIGHLY Recommended
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

PM view counts have been updated, should match actual PMs.
    -Monorail Man

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    We had an issue today involving a scammer. The messages have been removed from the site.

If by any chance you clicked the link, just to be safe, I HIGHLY recommend changing your passwords.

Thank you! :-)

• Senior Minion

Thanks for all the good work, folks. I never saw any link.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    Thanks for all the good work, folks. I never saw any link.
    That's because our wonderful Monorail Man was deleting them from the server as fast as his little fingers would allow.

We have a great team here and even better members!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Seasick

That's because our wonderful Monorail Man was deleting them from the server as fast as his little fingers would allow.

We have a great team here and even better members!

Thanks for the quick action Monorail Man! You guys are the best!
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Miss Marvel

I agree. The best! I am just curious. How many messages did he manage to get off before being shut down? Was it a bot or an actual human?

I just don't know much about IT, and like to learn how these things work. I got one and am wondering how I was selected.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd View Post
    I agree. The best! I am just curious. How many messages did he manage to get off before being shut down? Was it a bot or an actual human?

I just don't know much about IT, and like to learn how these things work. I got one and am wondering how I was selected.
    If you're interested, I have a free $1000.00 gift card for Best Buy for you.

• Miss Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    If you're interested, I have a free $1000.00 gift card for Best Buy for you.

No, DIP. No you don't.

Big tease.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Oh, when I saw "PM Confusion" I thought: "Now, is that when you think it's morning, but it's really afternoon, OR is that when you think it's afternoon, but it's really morning.

But, then I thought, oh, wait, it's probably one of those female things.

Thanks for letting us know about the scam.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I, too, received the puzzling "notification." Glad to find out MM deleted the message before I got a chance to see it.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd View Post
    These spammers create accounts... and then they start mass PM'ing all users rather then posting on the forum itself. This benefits them because it goes 'unseen' and everyone gets a notice or email saying 'hey, come check out my spam!' The software has limits on sending PMs to limit this kind of behavior, but they automate this so they just send as many as they can, and repeat.

Because it happens in the background, admins typically don't see it until someone starts reporting the PM as suspicious. Hundreds or thousands of PMs can go out before it's picked up.

While going and deleting all the PMs from the user is pretty quick to do directly in the forum's database, deleting the notification each user has that there is a new PM waiting is more tricky. And if you just delete the PM itself, you have the state they had temporarily here where it shows you have a new PM, but when you open the screen, there are no new PMs.

A pretty easy way to identify one of these PMs as suspicious is when you get a PM from a user with zero posts and a recent join date. If the content is fishy, report it.

The # of spammer accounts created daily would blow people's minds. There aren't super great ways of weeding them out besides manually scanning them which a site like MC would be pretty tough. I bet they get at least 100 legit new accounts a day.. which means they probably get on the order of 40-50 spammer account registrations a day.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    These spammers create accounts... and then they start mass PM'ing all users rather then posting on the forum itself. This benefits them because it goes 'unseen' and everyone gets a notice or email saying 'hey, come check out my spam!' The software has limits on sending PMs to limit this kind of behavior, but they automate this so they just send as many as they can, and repeat.

Because it happens in the background, admins typically don't see it until someone starts reporting the PM as suspicious. Hundreds or thousands of PMs can go out before it's picked up.

While going and deleting all the PMs from the user is pretty quick to do directly in the forum's database, deleting the notification each user has that there is a new PM waiting is more tricky. And if you just delete the PM itself, you have the state they had temporarily here where it shows you have a new PM, but when you open the screen, there are no new PMs.

A pretty easy way to identify one of these PMs as suspicious is when you get a PM from a user with zero posts and a recent join date. If the content is fishy, report it.

The # of spammer accounts created daily would blow people's minds. There aren't super great ways of weeding them out besides manually scanning them which a site like MC would be pretty tough. I bet they get at least 100 legit new accounts a day.. which means they probably get on the order of 40-50 spammer account registrations a day.
    Interesting explanation. I've always wondered how spamming happens.

• WDW CM & HM fan

Thanks for the explanation! I saw the "free tickets' explantion in the email I got on the notification and I thought "i don't need tickets...."
    AKA doombuggy
    1974 - 1983 WDW day trips * 1992 WDW off site * 1994 WDW Contemporary * 1997 WDW off site * 1997 WDW Polynesian * 1998 DL PAC * 1999 DL Disneyland Hotel * 2000 WDW Coronado/Port Orleans * 2001 WDW off site * 2002 DL Disneyland Hotel * 2002 WDW/Happy Haunts Ball * 2003 WDW Riverside * 2003 WDW Happy Haunts Ball * 2004 Moved to Orlando * 2006 DVC Member * 2006 DLR * 2007 Pirate & Princess Party * 2007 DVBR * 2007 OKW * 2007 VWL * 2008 GCH * 2009 BLT * 2009 AKV * 2010 OKW * 2010 SSR * 2010 DLP DLH * 2011 BLT*2011 AKL*2012 BWV*2014 Aulani

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast