Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Cool Thanks for marking it as part of our Helpful Posts system!

EDIT: Thanks for helping us with Helpful Posts! We've got the data that we need to improve this system. You'll see some implementation of this beyond just 'helpful' soon!
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 04-05-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    -Monorail Man

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Re: See a helpful post? Have some heart, mark it as part of our new Helpful Posts sys

Cool new feature!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: See a helpful post? Have some heart, mark it as part of our new Helpful Posts sys

It looks like this feature doesnt seem to work on iPhone. I'm guessing it won't work on Droid either.

• Pilot EdForceOne

great idea MM - hopefully this gets the 'good' out of the old rep system.

curious - will these posts start going into some type of feed or index of helpful posts, or most helpful or something along those lines?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Nutty guy from Canada

A great new feature. I like it.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2015, WDW March 2018

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

• Banned User

Not to be the downer here, but why isn't there the flip side to the coin, with a 'not helpful' button? I'm not trying to start something negative, just curious is all.

[sarcasm] Is it because the 'not helpful' button is already evident, just with everyone bashing someone's post they don't like? [/sarcasm]

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

At first I was like -

"Oh! I wanna try this out!"

Then I couldn't find the button.

"NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Then I found that I had to put my cursor over the post to see it.

"YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH!"

Sorry for this incredibly useless post.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO,ATIS View Post
    At first I was like -

"Oh! I wanna try this out!"

Then I couldn't find the button.

"NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Then I found that I had to put my cursor over the post to see it.

"YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAH!"

Sorry for this incredibly useless post.
    Thanks. This got me to thinking. What if I TAP on a certain post? And sure enough it came up!

Thank you for this helpful post!

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It looks like this feature doesnt seem to work on iPhone. I'm guessing it won't work on Droid either.
    Just touch the text and it will bring the button up.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Interesting, as it seems more and more helpful posts are being edited to remove a link to the source.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

One issue that I see developing is that people are using the helpful post button more for things they agree with, as opposed to something that is indeed "helpful." Sometimes I think people need to realize this is not a like button from Facebook, and by merely hitting that button because they agree with a sarcastic comment or criticism is not in essence helping the community or the new system at all.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    One issue that I see developing is that people are using the helpful post button more for things they agree with, as opposed to something that is indeed "helpful." Sometimes I think people need to realize this is not a like button from Facebook, and by merely hitting that button because they agree with a sarcastic comment or criticism is not in essence helping the community or the new system at all.
    Yup Yup... definitely being used as a 'like' button in the threads I've seen.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

As with most things on internet discussion forums, what constitutes "Helpful" is subjective.

Case in point: in this thread, ratings of "Helpful" were attached to OP-bashing comments like...

I think you need to take a deep breath, and calm the hell down.
    Damn, take a chill pill.
    MWAHAHAHA!!! Enjoy your Tarzan's Treehouse and Nemo Subs!!!
    I'm so tired of these threads.
    ...And images including:

And that's the way it's gonna be, folks. Human nature 101.

As Facebook's experience suggests, the "Like" option really doesn't work without a "Dislike" option. People will express their subjective feelings on issues -- it's the essence of internet discussion forums. If they don't have a "Dislike" option, they will vote "Like" on posts that support their dislike -- as is now happening with the MC "Helpful" system.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-29-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Well, MiceChat, much like Disneyland itself, will never be finished as long as there is imagination left in the world!

But seriously.... Our wonderful Admin and code monkey Monorail Man is always looking into trying out new things and tweeking things for us her on MC. We're trying out this new feature, seeing how it works, and I'm pretty sure this is only a step in the continued evolution of the site. When time and technology permits (but mostly time) I'm sure Monorail Man will be unveiling even more cool stuff.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Yup Yup... definitely being used as a 'like' button in the threads I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    As with most things on internet discussion forums, what constitutes "Helpful" is subjective.

Case in point: in this thread, ratings of "Helpful" were attached to OP-bashing comments like...

[...]

As Facebook's experience suggests, the "Like" option really doesn't work without a "Dislike" option. People will express their subjective feelings on issues -- it's the essence of internet discussion forums. If they don't have a "Dislike" option, they will vote "Like" on posts that support their dislike -- as is now happening with the MC "Helpful" system.

Since Monorail Man made no mention of this feature automatically affecting a user's standing, I see no real harm done in people using "Helpful" as a "Like" button. If you post a controversial and/or minority opinion you will see people saying the retorts are helpful, but you already see the disagreement. Since continued posting permission is not linked to being deemed "Helpful" it seems less likely for abuse, like being able to get a member Litterboxed merely for expressing an unpopular opinion. It seems like the kind of social networking features that I personally do not really "get," but seem to be quite popular with many others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast