• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

New Feature: Double Posts Automatically Merged

Hello MiceChatters,

Just to let you know, we've rolled out something new. If you post to a thread, then immediately post under it, those posts will be automatically merged.

---------- Post added 06-20-2011 at 11:30 AM ----------

Posting within 2 hours will add the line above to the original post. This will cleanup that don't use multi-quote, but do multiple replies. This will also prevent excessive 'bumping' of threads.

Making a cleaner MiceChat for everyone!
    -Monorail Man

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: New Feature: Double Posts Automatically Merged

Nice!

Thanks for this awesome new feature! I've seen it around and wondered what was going on, but now I know that it's our fearless programming maestro making this awesome place even moreso.

• Hukuna Matata!

Sounds cool, Lets give it a whirl

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I understand the part about double posts.

Not quite sure that I understand the 2nd part about 2 hours. I guess I will have to actually see the feature in action before I totally understand. Right now, I am confused about the 2 hour feature.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Thanks for posting a note so we know what's up!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Become part of MY world!

so if someone posts something within the 2 hours, it will automatically be merged? Or only if they're the only ones posting(no one else has posted since)? I think it would be better only if you actually double post, because if it merges all your posts into one post within a 2 hour time frame, it will get confusing figuring out the order of posts and who is responding to who.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    so if someone posts something within the 2 hours, it will automatically be merged? Or only if they're the only ones posting(no one else has posted since)? I think it would be better only if you actually double post, because if it merges all your posts into one post within a 2 hour time frame, it will get confusing figuring out the order of posts and who is responding to who.
    That's why it's important to always quote who you're responding to, if you want to speak to them, specifically. That way, there's never any doubt to who you want to talk to, whether the post is merged or not.

• MC, this is LD

This looks like it will be a helpful feature! Let me test it out:

---------- Post added 06-27-2011 at 06:16 PM ----------

Looks like it works! Lots of neat changes around here!

• Keeper of the fruit rolls

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    It appears to only combine posts if no one else has posted since which is good.
    -Jennelle AKA Blue AKA Dory

Quote Originally Posted by drphibes View Post
    SBF's lasso of truth makes grown men want to go pee pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendGonzo View Post
    Have you considered buying a bed?...as far as I can tell you live in an apartment with a computer, a coupon for hungry howies, and there may or may not be a llama there...
    DLR trips in 2011: Jan 12,29,30, Feb 10, March 29, April 3, 22, May 14, 18, 25, June 9, August 8, 21...hopefully soooooooooon

FB, Twitter

• Pilot EdForceOne

Can we consider shortening the window where posts are merged?

The issue is it can take posts that are completely different in nature and merge them together unnecessarily.

For instance, you can be replying to a previous post - which when quoted, etc can make quite a long post.

Then you want to come back and add a NEW thought to the thread and start a different train of thought then from your previous post.

But what happens now is your new thought gets buried down below responses that people may not be interested in reading.. hence your new 'topic' they may be interested in, is buried under content people may skip.

I think the merge is great for the 'and one more thing...' type of posts where things get merged. But in a low activity thread, or if you post from a different time zone from a majority of people... your posts will excessively get merged together causing very long posts that readers are unlikely to read.

I haven't seen 'bumping' a problem in the main forums... and multi-quote is a double-edged sword. Great for continuity of a subject - bad for when a thread has multiple tracks going on and merging all discussion from a single poster in a single post will ultimately cause discussion to get lost in the noise.

Users instinctively skip at a message level - not a quote level or some smaller merger banner. So unnecessary merging will cause more content to be skipped by readers.

Could we make this time limit something small? Like 10 minutes? Then you are more likely to catch your 3 line posters who don't use multi-quote, but you don't create as many big posts and bury separate thoughts together.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Since I know this feature exists now, I don't start a new post. I simply edit my previous one.
    Pop Century Resort

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have a question. I will ask it here, but I think, I will also see for myself what will happen.

I have started a picture thread. I have been editing my posts when adding additional pictures, rather than double posting. If I double post, will my thread change places in the New Posts page on MiceChat? In other words, will it go to the top of New Posts, or will it remain where it was.

The reason I ask is, if other MiceChatters are following my thread, how will they know I have added additional pictures, if the double post feature kicks in? Will they simply assume my last post is unchanged?

Now, I will go try this out, and see what actually does happen.

---------- Post added 07-21-2011 at 04:12 PM ----------

I guess I will double post here as well.

Now my conclusion is that my previous post stayed where it was. No one will be aware that I have added anything until they enter the thread. Their subscriptions will not be updated, and the new post, will not go to the top of new posts.

I have never been quite sure about how many photos one should put in a post. I have never learned any other way than one at a time, and that takes time. Sometimes, people are viewing as I am doing it, and I get interrupted. Sometimes not. Too many photos in a post makes a thread hard to scroll.

I will keep editing my posts, as I have done since this new feature began. No need to double post.
    Of course no need to edit, if someone replies in the meantime.
    Pop Century Resort

• Pilot EdForceOne

you won't get a bump as a new post I believe..

it's one of the 'bad' behaviors the feature negates. Your valid purpose though is one of the casualties of killing that other 'bad' behavior though.. of over bumping threads.

The 2hr timer will allow later posts to be new posts, and hence get a bump. Another good reason why the timer should be shorter IMO.

I don't see 'bumping' a real problem on MC - but that's just IMHO.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

This is Bad - it takes two totally separate sub-discussions and merges them into one MegaPost that some people will skip right over. Not to mention it starts looking like Jeaopardy with the answer Top-Posted before the question.

I'll admit that my posts tend to get long anyways, but they're usually chock full of facts and goodness so I cover all the angles in one shot. And it's worse when I'm in a big hurry to leave and just throw it all out there (a "consciousness spill", if you will...) and hit Send without editing and tightening it up - I usually spend more time in Preview and Edit mode (*) than on the initial writing. When you tack two of those together it approaches 'Massive'.

On a busy thread with 25-plus people active in it, they don't get the new page "pushed" to them and might not see or read the additional information. I usually go back to make sure I didn't miss an edit or post that snuck in while composing a reply, but we've already established I'm a weirdo... Most people don't.

Perhaps you need to offer an option when your posting triggers the two-hour timer. The default is to append unless you affirmatively check the box explaining why it should be kept separate and in chronological order.

--<< Bruce >>--

(* - Note: I just cut the initial draft of this post down by two-thirds in the Edit phase... You're welcome.)
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    you won't get a bump as a new post I believe..

it's one of the 'bad' behaviors the feature negates. Your valid purpose though is one of the casualties of killing that other 'bad' behavior though.. of over bumping threads.

The 2hr timer will allow later posts to be new posts, and hence get a bump. Another good reason why the timer should be shorter IMO.

I don't see 'bumping' a real problem on MC - but that's just IMHO
    I agree with you on this.