Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Exclamation Help keep the web open by contacting your elected officials to stop SOPA and PIPA!

MiceChattters,

We don't like to get political here at MiceChat, but the United States government has two pieces of legislation that could seriously effect the web, including sites like MiceChat.

SOPA (the Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (the Protect Intellectual Property Act) could have major effects on the openness of the internet. Both acts claim they will help copyrights holders by eliminating piracy on the web, but the laws do nothing of the such and instead censor based of simple web links. Here's Google's quick review of the proposed legislation:

"The U.S. government could order the blocking of sites using methods similar to those employed by China. Among other things, search engines could be forced to delete entire websites from their search results.

Law-abiding U.S. internet companies would have to monitor everything users link to or upload or face the risk of time-consuming litigation.

To make matters worse, SOPA and PIPA won’t even work. The censorship regulations written into these bills won’t shut down pirate sites. These sites will just change their addresses and continue their criminal activities, while law-abiding companies will suffer high penalties for breaches they can’t possibly control."
    This means that sites like MiceChat and MiceAge could face breaking the law for simply linking to another website, or embedding a video. In addition, this would mean that MiceChat would have to manually approve every thread, post, and submission to ensure that it doesn't link to copyrighted material. Under SOPA and PIPA, companies do not have to follow due process and could have sites like MiceChat shutdown completely for these simple acts.

Big companies have put big money behind PIPA and SOPA, including NBCUniversal, Disney, Sony, and Viacom. However, nearly all major Internet companies do not support the bills including Google, Facebook, Twitter, eBay, Zynga, LinkedIn, Mozilla, AOL, and Yahoo!.

MiceChat always wants to remain that 'Different Look' at your favorite theme park and travel destinations. Let us maintain it by helping stop SOPA and PIPA.

Want more information on what PIPA and SOPA can do? Watch below:

What can you do?

Contact your senators and representatives. Visit Google's Take Action page, or American Censorship for information on how you can contact your elected officials. Contact them directly by using Wikipedia's look-up page.

SIGN THE PETITION TO STOP SOPA and PIPA

Thanks for your time.

-Monorail Man, Dustysage, Fishbulb & the entire MiceChat Crew
    Last edited by Dustysage; 01-18-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    -Monorail Man

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Help keep the web open by contacting your elected officials to stop SOPA and PIPA

I've let my representatives know how I feel. These are two of those bills where almost every American who understands them would be opposed to them, but the bills are brought by moneyed corporate interests whose campaign contributions help candidates win reelection, so they are willing to vote against their constituents' interests.

Call your Congressman and tell him "Don't sell us out for Hollywood and the lawyers. If these bills pass and you are one of the 'yes' votes, you will have Democrats protesting outside your office [if he or she is a Democrat; say Republicans if he or she is a Republican], and rallying behind whoever runs against you in the next primary."
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Help keep the web open by contacting your elected officials to stop SOPA and PIPA

Thank you for posting this! I would encourage all MiceChatters to follow thru and contact your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator to stop these bills in their tracks. If they pass you'll only be able to talk about the "good old days" when you could post what you wanted on the Internet.

I would also encourage the administrators at MiceChat to consider "going dark" in protest of this dangerous legislation!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

that just not right i think they stop this bill right now and that wold destory the onwer of facebook google and more out of bussis so i hope it does pass
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

• The Pumpkin King

This is the beggining of the U.S. Gov. trying to control its people.

There was a petition that someone on facebook linked, which I signed.

• A Weather Eye Open

google has a big petition that we should all sign, but phone calls to the reps can be super effective.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    This is the beggining of the U.S. Gov. trying to control its people.
    ​Beginning!?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Folks,

Please be vocal on this issue. Your elected officials and corporate sponsors of these bills, such as Disney, need to hear your anger. Otherwise, Disney and will keep throwing money at the politicians and they'll continue with their corrupt actions to appease the powerful entertainment lobby rather than the will of the American people.

Tell Disney you won't allow them to destory the open Internet. Tell your elected officials that you won't tollerate their voting for SOPA or PIPA and that you consider the lobbying by the entertainment industry against the will of the people to be corrupt and evil.

Your voice today and in the future is the most important weapon against corporate greed!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Infinitized!

See, not so the "land of the free" anymore are you my neighbors to the south? Starting to look like something from V for Vendetta.

• Tom Bricker

Definitely a good reason to 'get political' if there ever was one. Theoretically, the ramifications for Disney fan-sites could be far worse than what Dusty and the OP have indicated. Given the public backlash against this legislation (many in the House and Senate are already pulling out support), I can't see either of these ever becoming law, but it's better safe than sorry.

As for the "don't sell us out to Hollywood and the lawyers" comment--I know lawyers are presumed to favor all evil things, but I know many (I am one) and from my encounters, "we" don't support this any more than the general public...

I wasn't expecting MiceChat to participate in this. It's nice to see this. It will increase awareness about this.
    Last edited by Twist1234; 01-18-2012 at 03:34 PM.

• Semi Back

You know what thanks for posting this im really angry at this SOPA bill. We (America) have a constitution for a reason. im signing the petition and turning off my site for today

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    ​Beginning!?
    I guess so. I dont follow the news that much about whats going on, unless its something like this.

• Armchair Imagineer

Once you've already contacted your representative, you may want to share your opinion with Disney as well. I believe this is the appropriate form on their website:

The Walt Disney Company - Corporate Citizenship
    My Armchair Imagineering threads:

Collaborations:

• Minion

i just watch eye wintess knews and obma is agest sofa he doest agree so if does pass then wold be thing ombma has for are conty
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast