Thread: Sopa

Sopa

Not exactly sure where to put this thread...

With Wikipedia and other websites shutting down today in protest against the SOPA and PIPA, I was just curious about what would happen to sites like this, if the two bills were passed. Any thoughts? Because I really would like to know.

• Become part of MY world!

Re: Sopa

I'm sure this thread will be moved, but you can find info in this thread

Help keep the web open by contacting your elected officials to stop SOPA and PIPA!

Basically, sites like this would be shut down for linking to anything that might have copyrighted material, it would basically shut down all social networking sites, since it's impossible to keep track of every post. You could also go to jail for say, uploading a video on youtube that have Michael Jackson song in the background. For up to 5 years!
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

I'm not exactly sure. But, as I understand it, it could be bad. This site could be blocked from search engines ( think "blacklisted") or even shut down if the offending content is not removed.

As they are now, the bills are poorly written to allow what ever a company or owner of material to do this at will.

For example any leaked construction photos posted with out proper consent of Disney would need to be removed or any links to sites that posted material would need to be removed otherwise this site would face consequences.

Sure this is just simplification, but one could write pages on this!! As the bills are written now they are just bad.

Yes, even the little profile icons would have to change if they have a cartoon image that was obtained or altered without the consent of Disney.

Give the government an inch and they will take a mile, regardless of political party. Glad to see several senators disavow this horrid piece of legislation today. Even co-sponsor Marco Rubio (R-Florida) backed off. The public pressure is working!
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    You could also go to jail for say, uploading a video on youtube that have Michael Jackson song in the background. For up to 5 years!
    What happens if 10 million people upload that same video? How can they possibly have enough room in the prison system to put 10 million people behind bars?

• The Pumpkin King

I'm sorry, but thats a really stupid reason to go to jail just for that where you are locked up with people who are seriously dangerous. Especially for 5 years, like really?

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    What happens if 10 million people upload that same video? How can they possibly have enough room in the prison system to put 10 million people behind bars?
    Good question and as I understand it, in that case the website would be responsible and would have to remove all of them within a specific amount of time or face being blacklisted.
    I understand the need to copyright but this law may take things too far.

•   
    • Minion

A good friend of mine is an artist, and she brought up a really salient point against SOPA.

Right now, a lot of artists and photographers are having to contend with foreign websites stealing their images and using them for commercial purposes. I have heard, firsthand from this friend and others, that they have found their images being sold as cell phone wallpaper, used to advertise fertility drugs, used in shop advertisements, and more. THAT is piracy...not icons or fanfic or any of the other myriad things that would be endangered by SOPA.

Anyway, My artist friend brought up the point that with the existing laws, she can scout around the Web from time to time, and if she finds something of hers, she can send them a DCMA takedown notice. If SOPA passes, she won't even have the ability to LOOK for those sites because they will be blocked. If she can't see who is pirating her work she has no way to take action on it. If these sites know that artists have no way to track them, they will increase their image theft. So SOPA would seem to be completely counterproductive in all sorts of ways.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    From what I understand the acts are mainly designed to punish the websites that are hosting the illegal content thus making it the responsibility of those sites to police their own domains more vigilantly, or suffer the consequences.

I thought of MiceChat as I was writing my senators about this today.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Piracy needs to be stopped, but SOPA/PIPA are downright CENSORSHIP. If these got passed, it would be the end of the internet as we know it. But thanks to all the protests & black outs today, there's been a lot of backlash and representatives who supported these bills are starting to back off. And I believe Obama has said if either of these bills made it to the White House, he would veto them.

Yes piracy needs to be stopped, but SOPA/PIPA is NOT the way to do it.

• the rum is always gone

Only the Senate (democrat controlled) has had their PIPA bill (introduced by Senator Leahy (D-VT) pass through the Committee on Judiciary (Leahy is Chairman). A Cloture motion was introduced on 12/17/2011 so that the bill would be brought up on the floor. It is possible that the Senate can vote on passage for the bill as early as this/next week. The status, info about the bill and bill text is available here: Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - S.968 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

As for the House of Reps (republican controlled) bill (SOPA), the bill has been introduced into the Subcommittee of Intellectual Property, Competition and the Internet within the House Judiciary Committee. The legislation had a hearing and was marked up (edited/amended) on the Subcommittee level. The SOPA bill has yet to be referred to the House Judiciary Committee nor marked up nor passed by the Committee. In essence, it has a long way to go before it can be brought to the House Floor for a vote on passage. The status, info about the bill and bill text is available here: Bill Summary & Status - 112th Congress (2011 - 2012) - H.R.3261 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)