Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Problem with forum viewing

Hey there. I'm a long time participant in your forums, and enjoy them greatly. I've been having a problem with them lately, and am hoping you could advise. As I go to a new page, and sometimes right to the latest post, the page then resets multiple times to the top of the page. I try to scroll down, but within seconds I'm thrown back to the top. It will do this 4 or 5 times on each page until it settles down and allows me to scroll down to where I want to be. It does this on multiple computers. I am also on other sites that use the same software, and have no problems there. Please help - thanks.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Problem with forum viewing

I am having major issues too....
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Minion

Sounds similar to an issue I reported last year which is still happening: when viewing the site as a guest, and clicking on any "Go to Last Post" button in the forum index, if the last post is less than 10 to 15 minutes or so old you wind up in an endless loop of page-reloads. Doesn't happen if the last post is older than 15-20 minutes or so. And doesn't happen if you're logged in as a member -- only to guests.

Occurs in Firefox and IE, with or without caches flushed before loading the site.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-29-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Hey there. I'm a long time participant in your forums, and enjoy them greatly. I've been having a problem with them lately, and am hoping you could advise. As I go to a new page, and sometimes right to the latest post, the page then resets multiple times to the top of the page. I try to scroll down, but within seconds I'm thrown back to the top. It will do this 4 or 5 times on each page until it settles down and allows me to scroll down to where I want to be. It does this on multiple computers. I am also on other sites that use the same software, and have no problems there. Please help - thanks.
    I've got the same problem.

Moderators? Site programmers? Any advice?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Sending this report along to our more tech-savvy staff right now, should be a response in here to follow up ASAP.

Thanks for the patience, sorry just caught this thread.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What also sometimes helps the tech crew is when this happens, what computer are you using? What browser and what version?

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Exactly which links are you clicking that causes this? I can't seem to duplicate it across multiple platforms or browsers.

I think I've discovered the issue. Compared to other vB sites, we do lots of caching for guests (users that are not logged in). This enables us to use less hardware compared to other vB sites. When you're not logged in, there may be a discrepancy in the cache of the Forum page, compared to to the thread. If this is the case, then the Forum links to a post that isn't in the cache yet - and that causes the reload loop. I've lowered the cache time, so you shouldn't be seeing this issues as much, but they could still happen.

There's a simple solution to solve this problem! Always be logged in. Nothing is cached for our users that are logged into a MiceChat account.

As always, try clearing your cookies and cache and logging in again to see if it resolves the issue.
    -Monorail Man

Well, I am always logged in. I'm using Internet Explorer on a variety of computers, all with the same response. I'll see over the next few days if I continue to have the problem. Thanks for your work on this!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Exactly which links are you clicking that causes this? I can't seem to duplicate it across multiple platforms or browsers.

I think I've discovered the issue. Compared to other vB sites, we do lots of caching for guests (users that are not logged in). This enables us to use less hardware compared to other vB sites. When you're not logged in, there may be a discrepancy in the cache of the Forum page, compared to to the thread. If this is the case, then the Forum links to a post that isn't in the cache yet - and that causes the reload loop. I've lowered the cache time, so you shouldn't be seeing this issues as much, but they could still happen.
    Seems to be still happening. As a guest I clicked on the Go To Last Post button in the "Celebrate the Parks" index pointing to this post at 11:59 a.m. The post was timestamped 11:56 a.m. It went into the reload loop.

EDIT: As an experiment, I tried clicking as a guest on the Go To Last Post button in the "Celebrate the Parks" index pointing to this post (timestamped 12:45 p.m.) at 12:46, 12:47, 12:48, and 12:49 -- the reload loop happened every time. Tried again at 12:50 -- it loaded normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    As always, try clearing your cookies and cache and logging in again to see if it resolves the issue.
    It happens consistently whether caches & cookies are cleared or not.

Thanks for your work on this Monorail Man!
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-30-2012 at 11:56 AM.

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I also have this problem. I will come on the site as a guest, but as soon as I sign in the page will reload on it's own multiple times. This has happened on a computer with Windows XP, Firefox 11.0 and one with Windows Vista, Firefox 11.0.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Looks like the login-reload loop may be resolved. It seem to only happen when logging into a page that has an editor on it. I've tweaked our external jQuery sources, and it seems to have resolved it for me. Please test and let me know!

As for the goto-last-post reload loop, I'm looking into it still...
    -Monorail Man

I've been on this site a couple of times today, and have not seen the problem. Thanks for fixing things!

• Senior Minion

The reload loop just happened to me as a guest a few moments ago, when I clicked on the Go To Last Post button in this forum index for this post.

Dunno if this is a clue or not, but the age of the new post in a loop seems to vary from 5 to 10 minutes. Last year the loop would happen with posts up to 15 to 20 min. old, but now the time seems shorter.

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Thanks Monorail Man, looks like the reload loop issue is fixed! For the last several days I haven't seen it happen, no matter how recent the post.

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast