Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Reputation comments

If members only have specific choice to pick from, maybe they will think a bit more about marking a post and will be more inclined to mark it if it meets the criteria stated, and not just because they "like" a post or something along those lines.

People are so Facebooked now days that they think everything works the same way. From what we've been seeing so far the new system is working pretty well. We can still see the comments, still see what rep is attached to those comments, and we can still for the most part determine if the rep was given appropriately or not. Sure its not perfect but its working pretty well so far for us. As time goes buy there may be other tweaks to the system, just as there has been for the last 7 years. MiceChat, like Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination in the world.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• I am number 4 of 999

There should be a "LIKE" option, and a "REPORT" option with a reason. That's it. None of this "Helpful" "VERY HELPFUL" "Unhelpful" weighted classification. If a person likes something someone else posted, who cares WHY they liked it? If someone reports something and it's within the rules, nothing happens. If it's not, remove it! If a person spams the report button, ban THEM. If you liked something a person said, send them a message. Heck, send them one if you didn't! This is supposed to be a COMMUNITY of Disney fans, isn't it? The reputation system as it was seemed very negative overall. Not going to miss it! (And I was "Helpful" so it's not like I didn't like it because I was getting negatives!)
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The Report Post button is still there, and MiceChatters need to use that to alert moderators to posts that contain issues that are definitely against MiceChat's general rule of conduct.

• Jack of All Trades

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    There should be a "LIKE" option, and a "REPORT" option with a reason. That's it. None of this "Helpful" "VERY HELPFUL" "Unhelpful" weighted classification. If a person likes something someone else posted, who cares WHY they liked it? If someone reports something and it's within the rules, nothing happens.

The reputation system as it was seemed very negative overall. Not going to miss it!

So true. Thanks for the great post!
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Sometimes, I think the main problem here at MiceChat is getting the members to use the system. Whatever system is in place. Over the years we have had many different ones, and for a time no Reputation System was in place at all. The Report Post button has always been there, but I believe many members have never used it, or are not even aware what it is, and where it is, and when they should use it.

The Reputation System has, in many of it's forms, called attention to itself. In doing that people used it, at first out of curiosity, and perhaps later with the correct knowledge about it.

I find myself less likely to use the rep system now. It's got to *really* be something, either offensive or awesome, for me to give any feedback under the new system. My choices for feedback are now 1- clutter up the thread with personal notes, or 2- give a meaningless "pick an option" rep.

Sure, I can send a private message, but in a thread? I'm very very unlikely to actually do so.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Just good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    The Report Post button is still there, and MiceChatters need to use that to alert moderators to posts that contain issues that are definitely against MiceChat's general rule of conduct.
    The report button is all that is needed really, no need for a helpful/unhelpful button that turns into some sort of reward system.

If anything the like/dislike button should be made public for the same reasons if that's the case. I think that would help curb some of the issues previously with the system. I know on other boards I frequent part of the problem with the neg reputation was that people could hide behind a button, but once it was made public it curbed a lot of the problems. Just my two cents on the matter.

People need to be able to stand behind what they feel about a post if it compels them enough to push a button in one direction or another. The internet itself is an anonymous abyss as it is, this would help make the system much clearer to those here on micechat and help keep those accountable from abusing the system as well.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

• Hooterville, USA

I think that a poster should have to be a MCer for at least a year, or 1,000 posts before they can contribute to the rep system.

And, if not the above, then like/dislike system should be implemented.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    There should be a "LIKE" option, and a "REPORT" option with a reason. That's it. None of this "Helpful" "VERY HELPFUL" "Unhelpful" weighted classification.
    The purpose of the system is to be a self moderating system. A community driven policing - not what you agree with or like. The system is a way to encourage constructive behavior and crowd source flagging inappropriate behavior and providing a feedback loop to the user.

Simple 'likes' don't meet that need at all.

A like/+1 type model is for entirely different purposes. The problem becomes when people use the system as like/dislike instead of being about constructive/abusive behavior

---------- Post added 07-04-2012 at 05:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    If members only have specific choice to pick from, maybe they will think a bit more about marking a post and will be more inclined to mark it if it meets the criteria stated, and not just because they "like" a post or something along those lines.
    If someone wants to pump rep outside the purpose of the system.. The label restrictions really are meaningless. The label is just the intermediate means- it doesn't change the REWARD which is what must be altered if you want to correct behavior.

Hiding titles removes the reward .. But also will ultimately lowere the visibility of the system causing less people to leave positive rep overall. Thus making neg rep even more powerful. People will fall back to using it only to punish and never reward
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

When experimenting with rep systems in the past, the idea came up to have both positive and negative points be clearly visible along with who gave them.

This leads to retaliatory rep points which were not deserved (both for legitimate and non-legitimate points) and open fighting between members in some cases following a negative reputation being given. That is not optimal or fair for anyone, and that is why the current system has been made specifically to show the given reason to the receiving member in case a point is undeserved, so it can be cleared up by Moderation staff. Generating personal arguments between members which may well result from showing who gave each negative point is not a desirable outcome and will happen at least once even in the most friendly, agreeable community if the information on member negative repping someone is shared publicly. All current negative reputation points thought not to be valid are stripped of value by site staff, either after finding them on our own or them being reported to us. The value of showing who gave neg reps is far outweighed by potential harmful uses and fighting between members which could occur was the consensus of staff.

The purpose of this overhaul is indeed to 'discourage' the using of the rep system as a like or dislike tool. Disagreeing with someone's take on something or giving positive points wantonly for one-word responses or because something was found 'funny' that didn't contribute to a thread weakens the system and artificially demerits or promotes users, and the goal is to cut down on that via having the specific reasons which are easily appraised by site staff.

If a beneficial tip or answer to a question is given, or a in-depth trip report posted, or a thoughtful answer posted as a response in a discussion, that should be used to increase member status. The same goes for abusive behavior, name calling, or dismissing of the opinions of others being the posts which warrant negative attention. Site staff tailored the current feedback system to accommodate that and watches all incoming rep to ensure fair use and is glad to help any member in the case they receive a undeserved negative point.

No system so far has been 'perfect', and this one is still being tweaked, but the goal of it and of the site staff is always to strike a balance between what is fair to our membership, easy to use for them, accurately rewards or demerits posts that deserve it with the lowest possible margin of error, and most conducive to handling on the moderator end given we are all unpaid volunteers. The reputation system in some format has proven before to be a helpful tool to manage 'at a glance' current happenings with individual members on the forum and find helpful posts worthy of attention and praise, not just find when the rules laid down by the site owners are disregarded or 'troublesome' posts being made.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 07-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Pilot EdForceOne

The 'one word rep' problem should have been fixed by having the rep removed just like bad negative rep was. It's exactly the same thing. If mods were screening rep fully this wouldn't be an issue. This just buries the problem by saying 'well now we don't have to worry about inappropriate comments!' by making them not possible. It doesn't stop the wrong rep, what the rep does, or change the motivations for leaving rep.

This is a horrible horrible 'stick your head in the sand' way to address the problem.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• -

I just wish that "Helpful"/"Unhelpful" status would be displayed again. I think that calling someone on the carpet like that in front of the whole community is an excellent way of motivating people to try to make friendlier posts.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

"Playing By The Rules". Some people always will, and then some will always thumb their noses at it. Rewards are nice, and I do understand that it motivates a lot of people to receive public recognition for their efforts.

A lot goes on, behind the scenes, that we never hear about and perhaps would not understand. I think, overall, MiceChat does a great job policing the troublemakers. If they didn't, I wouldn't have stayed around here as long as I have.

It is the responsibility of the MiceChat Administration to inform us of the rules of the site. It is even more important that the members abide by those rules, and make sure that they understand them. They have changed the specifics of this self moderating system called "reputation", many times over the years. The main purpose being to better the MiceChat experience for all of us. I am sure that will continue as long as MiceChat is in existence.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I rarely use the rep system, but I've reported posts that clearly broke the rules. One feature that seems underutilized is the "rate this thread" drop-down. That reflects less upon individual members (except perhaps for the thread originator) and more upon the body of comments that follows.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember way back when I first joined MiceChat, and I started noticing this thing called "reputation". I liked getting good comments from other members. I gave good comments to other members as well. I was scared at the time to ever give anyone bad comments, or negative reputation. Retaliation was the main reason, of course, and I was definitely super sensitive way back then.

I remember a comment that Dusty made about "reporting the post" instead. It made a lot of sense, and he explained to me the reasoning behind using that feature.

A community is only as strong as it members, and since MiceChat has a self-moderation system in place, I feel the members should use it. Both to commend those who contribute positively, and to reprimand those who don't. Whether negative reputation is used, or the "report post" feature is activated. They both go a long way to keeping our community strong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast