Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1

    • Done with MC.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,961

    Reputation comments

    I see now that I can no longer write in a comment when I give someone reputation. I now have to pic comments from a set list.
    Did everyone lose this freedom or is it just me?

  2. #2

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    4,617

    Re: Reputation comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I see now that I can no longer write in a comment when I give someone reputation. I now have to pic comments from a set list.
    Did everyone lose this freedom or is it just me?
    This is correct. We're still in the process of making some adjustments with rep, expect an announcement soon.
    -Monorail Man

  3. #3

    • Done with MC.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,961

    Re: Reputation comments

    That's a shame.
    I ended up picking one that din't fit what I wanted to give rep for so it probably won't make a lot of sense to the recipient.

  4. #4

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,065

    Re: Reputation comments

    Bummer. I used to write my own comments a lot. Picking from a list? Meh.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

  5. #5

    • Done with MC.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,961

    Re: Reputation comments

    I think I've given up on Rep.

  6. #6

    •   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,107

    Re: Reputation comments

    An announcement and further tweaks to the system are still coming: this is the first day of implementation after all Staff is still getting used to it and taking notes, but rest assured, the comments being included for positive posts is still on our agenda to discuss as of this moment.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

  7. #7

    • some assembly required
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    nowhere in particular...
    Posts
    687

    Re: Reputation comments

    hmmmm.
    I saw that it changed, and seems ok so far, but when I went to give a poz rep point, i chose my answer and hit the add button... a popup came on the screen telling me that i need to indicate a reason. I thought maybe I didn't do it right! After about a dozen tries in the past 24hrs or so, it must still not be functional for everyone just yet??? I can see it and use it, but it wont take my dropdown choices... I like the new version, I just want it to work!
    ~Jay

    "Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)


  8. #8

    •   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Posts
    65,836
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reputation comments

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    That's a shame.
    I ended up picking one that din't fit what I wanted to give rep for so it probably won't make a lot of sense to the recipient.
    Unfortunately like many things in life... the few mess it up for the many. We just had way to many people abusing the system and using it for "liking" as on FaceBook.

    I even recently saw the "reason" for leaving a comment that said...

    "Oh you're cute."

    Really? That is not one of the criteria for leaving positive rep. And hence, the drop down menu to try to stem some of the abuse and force people to actually give rep for a real reason... just just use it for a like button.

    Besides, like I stated somewhere else, there is no way we can ever make 100% of every single member happy no matter what we do. Therefore we do the best we can, according to a consensus between the staff and owners of the site, with input as much as we can from the community.




    Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


    Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

  9. #9

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: Reputation comments

    As Penguinsoda, there was abuse on both sides of the rep issue. Hopefully with the new options we will be able to alleviate some of the issues with people giving improper positive and especially negative rep.

    If you'd like to leave a personal note for positive rep or even just tell somebody you appreciate their postings you do have the option to write a visitor message on their profile.


  10. #10

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,985
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Reputation comments

    I think the drop down choices are sufficient as they appear now. I am sure MiceChatters may in the near future come up with some additional ideas, however.

  11. #11

    •   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Castro Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,852

    Re: Reputation comments

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    If you'd like to leave a personal note for positive rep or even just tell somebody you appreciate their postings you do have the option to write a visitor message on their profile.
    Good idea about leaving the visitor message. Then you can personalize a message for that person

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Reputation comments

    I had my frustrations with Reputations. Sometimes I can see who gave me a good or bad rating. Most times, I cannot. Sometimes I get a bad rating, not because I was abusive, but because they didn't like what I said.

    To prevent reputation abuse, you should time when an reputation can no longer be given. I gotten bad reputation scores well after posting like 3 days and beyond. It is frustrating to get a bad rating especially after a thread has gone dead and I forgotten about what I posted.

  13. #13

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,985
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Reputation comments

    Not everyone reads MiceChat daily, and it is not unusual for threads to appear, lay dormant, and reappear.

    It does seem that one of the biggest problems has always been that a person does not agree with another person's opinion. Perhaps the new drop down menus will help with that misconception.

  14. #14

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,212

    Re: Reputation comments

    How about "Eloquent post!" as an option? It's so nice to read opinions that are well written, even if I disagree with them.

  15. #15

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Reputation comments

    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Unfortunately like many things in life... the few mess it up for the many. We just had way to many people abusing the system and using it for "liking" as on FaceBook.

    I even recently saw the "reason" for leaving a comment that said...

    "Oh you're cute."

    Really? That is not one of the criteria for leaving positive rep. And hence, the drop down menu to try to stem some of the abuse and force people to actually give rep for a real reason... just just use it for a like button.
    This drop down system only makes it more impossible for you to screen and clean up bad rep comments.

    The 'oh your cute' comment now gets masked as 'contributes to the community' or something. How are you going to judge that now? At least the 'oh your cute' is obvious it's out of line and should be scrubbed. Now, the ONLY types of comments that are allowed are all 'within the rules'. So how do you decide if a user is leaving rep improperly?

    You've just made it infinitely harder to decipher the user's actual intentions.

    You've cleaned up comments - but made it impossible to police.

    And unless the status comes back - its a system that will only be used to neg rep making it even more volatile for people. Without positive reps, negative reps become all more powerful. Without incentive for people to leave good comments, as well as bad - the system becomes skewed to leaving only bad comments (motivation..).

    The last incarnation of the system was pretty good (sans no viewing of neg comments) - this looks like a train wreck unless you have some magic jelly beans you will pull out here shortly.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question about reputation comments
    By Retrocool in forum The Forums
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
  2. Reading Reputation Comments
    By PrincessY in forum The Forums
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •