Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: What happened to the reputation...?

I feel the reputations are used poorly. I gotten bad rating from people who didn't "like" my posts rather than anything about "abusive" posts. Sometimes I received comments, but mostly I don't and the reputation ratings are usually anonymous so I cannot tell who gave them to me. Therefore, comments should be categorized and traceable so I can understand why and/or bring this to a moderator for correction. Perhaps have a reference # number.

Also, you should time out the reputations. I received reputation ratings 3 days and beyond from the original posting date. This is ridiculous. Usually, the thread has died, yet I am still getting a hit on my post.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Members need to be educated about the proper way to use Reputation. That is why I applaud threads like these where, as members, we are allowed to state our concerns and discuss the process. Moderators are always available to help a member who feels that they have not been treated fairly with the reputation process. A member can contact a moderator, or report a post, and the matter will be looked into.

• Down Pluto!

It was nice to be seen for a while as "Helpful." I am on occasion helpful to others. I am also liberal in my use of acerbic humor and often misunderstood because of it. I have also gotten negative rep and probably deserved every one.

Operating my own forums, I too have struggled with a rep system. Where I have found them to work not at all well is when they try to be too many things in one package - A place to acknowledge someone's help or a place to give a thumbs up for an informative post, a place to report an unpopular viewpoint, a place to report abuse of the rules, and even as a voting or popularity poll. The more things a rep system tries to do, the less effective it becomes at each. Anything can be misunderstood although it seems intuitively obvious to many. I had someone ask me what the stars were for. I responded it is an indication of number of posts. They said that couldn't be it since the number of posts is clearly marked, it must be how important their posts are - a trust level. I had to show them where the explanation for the stars could be found, and they were disappointed. Everything can be misunderstood as we are individuals with our own way of seeing the world.

When it comes to rep systems, it is not an easy task to find what works best and has the most value to members as well as staff. Sometimes simplicity gives the best answer, sometimes it will not provide the answer to a more complex set of goals. What I do know is that it is not an easy task. I hope you all are able to sort it out and get one step closer to the holy grail.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• I am number 4 of 999

For a day everything was green and BRIGHT GREEN with a few traces of red. I'm glad that went away rather quickly!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• HYDRA

only have positive
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Foolish Mortal

What exactly is a reputation on here? I've only been here for a month and I've received reputation comments but I don't know what they are for.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Slappypunk View Post
    What exactly is a reputation on here? I've only been here for a month and I've received reputation comments but I don't know what they are for.
    Where the star below the posters name, avatar, join date, location and post amount is has Helpful/Unhelpful.

Now when you click that star you select helpful or unhelpful and select from a list the reason for "marking" the post. The user sees that he/she recieved a helpful or unhelpful marking and what post it was for.

Before you could leave a comment as the reason for electing a post as helpful or unhelpful.

Also before this would give you a point or negative point. An accumlation of the points would at certain levels put your "reputation" under your name. So under some User Names it would say "Helpful" and some "Unhelpful". Thus being tagged as such a kind of poster, with your reputation diplayed to everyone else.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

There is a whole wealth of information on this subject, if you click on the FAQ on the top of the page, and read the sections on Reputation.

• Sock Puppet

yeah what happened to our helpful unhelpful rep' s below our avatars??

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Now we must be good for goodness sake.

......and not advertise it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12