Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Boise Mouse

Thumbs up New Helpful/Unhelpful rating system

I LOVE the new helpful/unhelpful rating system. Great new system MiceChat administrators!

*** Sorry, the heading should have been "New Helpful/Unhelpful rating system" ***

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: New Helpful/Unhealful rating system

Besides take away the....Helpful and none helpful name tags....what else changed

yes, but how come we can no longer see what people's reputation is or our own?

• Boise Mouse

I just really like the drop down features. I has taken away the ability to write a special note for a helpful rep, but I guess I will just have to start taking the time to send a PM to those that help me

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    yes, but how come we can no longer see what people's reputation is or our own?
    Oh..., I didn't notice this. Hmmmmm, sort of a bummer.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: New Helpful/Unhelpful rating system

Eh, I'd prefer if it was the posts themselves that got marked helpful or unhelpful, not the poster who made them.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

There will be a very detailed announcement coming shortly about the 'ins and outs' of the new system as well as more detailed reasons for the change, as we are fine tuning it on site staff end even now.

Thank you all very much for your feedback!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

As usual MiceChat keeps us informed, and is always trying to stay the great site that it has always been.

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Eh, I'd prefer if it was the posts themselves that got marked helpful or unhelpful, not the poster who made them.
    I agree. Thumbs up. Moderator, are you listening?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

MiceChat did have a system a while back where posts were given the "Thumbs Up", or the "Thumbs Down". That system was eventually abandoned, and evolved into what we have now. I am sure someone in charge could clarify the reasoning behind that.

We are not like Facebook.

• former CM

Helpful post, Wren!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The current overhaul is deliberately meant to make the system not like a like/dislike Facebook style system. The old reputation system was used for that increasingly and so many not valid points were given of both a positive and negative sort (i.e., someone disagreed with an opinion and so marked a post downwards). It was much harder to police given the subjective 'i don't like this' use of the reputation button, and with the pre-selected reasons, if a post does not match the stated selected item, then it will stand out very clearly to staff and be simpler to find.

As for the user receiving the points instead of a single post, that is designed and intended specifically to aid in actual cases of trolling or deliberate breaking the rules/being dismissive of other members. Staff is constantly looking to make sure negative rep is assigned fairly and accurately with that guideline in mind.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Just good enough

I agree with this. Especially if the anonymity from negative reputation points is discarded as well. I definitely feel like it's a delicate situation as I have been given negative rep several times (everytime though a moderator has been notified and corrected on their end) because they didn't agree with what I said. I'm not even sure though because I couldn't see their comments or their username to perhaps clarify with them.

I would like to think the majority of the Micechat forums (from the +year that I've been around) are rather civil and courteous to one another. The golden rule just needs to be followed and everything would be much better.

I feel if you have a complaint about someone or an issue and you want to mark a post unhelpful, then you should have to stand by your post with your name attached to it. If this isn't viable then perhaps the reward system (which is really what it is let's be honest) is no longer an option and simply flagging posts for moderator review would be sufficient for the forums.

I do think that the removal of the "unhelpful, helpful and very helpful" member titles was a step in the right direction though.

I think the moderators do a fantastic job here, I think some things can be changed for the better and perhaps make their lives simpler for that matter.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by eonevoli1017 View Post
    simply flagging posts for moderator review would be sufficient for the forums.

I do think that the removal of the "unhelpful, helpful and very helpful" member titles was a step in the right direction though.
    this!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The current overhaul is deliberately meant to make the system not like a like/dislike Facebook style system. The old reputation system was used for that increasingly and so many not valid points were given of both a positive and negative sort (i.e., someone disagreed with an opinion and so marked a post downwards). It was much harder to police given the subjective 'i don't like this' use of the reputation button, and with the pre-selected reasons, if a post does not match the stated selected item, then it will stand out very clearly to staff and be simpler to find.

As for the user receiving the points instead of a single post, that is designed and intended specifically to aid in actual cases of trolling or deliberate breaking the rules/being dismissive of other members. Staff is constantly looking to make sure negative rep is assigned fairly and accurately with that guideline in mind.
    Thank you. It was just outright unfair the way people were using it. I know it sounds stupid, sometimes it can make someone feel unwanted. Especially if there's no specific or good reason for the negative rep.

I think a "like" system would be useful, but I think that a "dislike" feature should be left out. Let the better posts stand out and just let the other posts be. Keeps things more positive.

Love the new drop down menus because it lets people know whether a post is worth a bad/good reputation or not and it keeps confused people like myself from making bad reputations.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast