Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Exclamation Changes Coming Your Way

As many of you are undoubtedly noticing, changes to the structure of the forums are starting to roll out.

In order to help you find content while also allowing discussions to be more easily found by others, we are restructuring some of our forums. Some redundant areas will be streamlined while other sub-forums will be created or moved so that they are grouped more logically. Don't worry, as no content will be lost in this process.

This will allow us to better facilitate discussion about all aspects of the ever expanding Disney Company and we hope you will join us in the new areas. As always, your feedback is very welcome. Thanks for being a part of MiceChat. We appreciate all of our member's continued contributions greatly.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Changes Coming Your Way

LucasFilm needs a category!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

So far ahead of you! Would you like a link?

• Senior Minion

Just scrolled down the new index -- excellent! Feels clean, clear, very well laid out!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Under that tree again!

If there are some forums that are popular elsewhere, I would highlight them so they can be popular here too.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Changes are still occurring. What looked good on paper doesn't look so good in a few minor areas in the main forum listing. I welcome all of your input as tweaks continue.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Yes when I first logged on tonight at first I was scared.... OMG where did stuff go!! Then I looked around, found it and...

I'm still scared!!!

But its ok... I trust you!!! I'm just OLD and don't deal with change well!!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I understand the scary factor 100%. Still working to make sure everything is easy to find. All comments welcomed.

Update: Everything should be in place. Please report any strange occurrences here. I know I must have messed at least one thing up!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Honestly I think a lot and I mean a lot of the sub forums can be merged together, doing the round up on a weekly basis I am combing through each forum and sub-forum and most are havent been used in months.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Example the following sections probably would work as just one forum.
    Disney Collectables
    MiceChat Main Lounge
    Common Interests
    The Walt Disney Company

• Entertainment (Online, Theatre, Music)
    • Business (Imagineering, Studies, Etc.)

For “Other Destinations” you could easily merge The Family Museum, Las Vegas into that section.

You can take this with a grain of salt, I just look at the post per day on these sections and its far and in-between vs. our more popular sections. To many sub forums can really deter a person who new to the site.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Senior Minion

I'd vote for the more "expanded" view as opposed to "collapsed" view in the indexes, and would lean toward keeping sub forums more un-merged than merged. I think the more sub forums are out in the open when a viewer first browses the index, the greater chance they'll get visited and posted to.

As the site adds areas of Disney interest in the future, the more things are in the open on the main index page the easier it will be for visitors (especially new visitors) to get a clearer view of the scope of what's available -- like sections of a supermarket where things are visible on open shelves, rather than the nested "items hidden within items" paradigm of computer folders.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    So far ahead of you! Would you like a link?
    I must be in a galaxy far far away...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Can we have a FORUM for

TRANSPORTATION TO... Disneyland Resort / Universal Hollywood / WDW and Univeral Orlando / Tokyo / Hong Kong / Paris.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I would separate SEA WORLD Orlando and California. And I'd give a tab to SAN DIEGO before I'd do one for LAS VEGAS. What does Las Vegas have to do with Disney or theme parks?

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Ok, Thanks so much for the replies. I really appreciate the input from each of you so I will try to get each of you answers.

Some of the separate forums exist for search engine reasons. I will note that based on analytics, separating discussion with sub-forums generally reduces the number of views to the sub, often dramatically. The goal is to get anyone looking for specific things to the right areas even if they coming from Google and are unfamiliar with the site, but without creating too much fragmentation. Also, the structure of the forums is severely limited so that every landing page gets a clear view of the sub forums and there are also considerations being made for how the structure will look on mobile interfaces and forum-running software.

It takes a lot of time to go through and make changes like this so I did the crucial ones this time and now we can see how traffic continues to the existing areas. I also didn't want to both move and radically modify forums or else nobody would have any clue where to go for anything. The worst subs were eliminated and the rest moved, and now they can be more easily scaled from here on out.

What that means is that several of the lounges are currently on a watch basis. The ones under the Main Lounge are all here to stay, but the common interest and entertainment based lounges that were moved in under the Disney company section are likely to be merged up. Some of those sections are needed for search and filing purposes, excpecially since news discussions will now be going in there. Of course, I must keep in mind that some of these subs have been around forever and our members are very attached to the discussions regardless of the limited scope. It becomes my job to facilitate relocation of those topics to a new logical and suitable home that will help expand discussion.

Also, the Vegas thread was actually slated for removal but I missed it. oops! I hadn't looked at SeaWorld as far as quantity of posts so I will look into that once exams are done. As far as transportation is concerned though, I don't think that it warrants separation. It would probably fit better in a refocused "Travel Planning" sub forum within each of the resort's forum areas. Splitting views up any more then they already are in the vacation planning areas of the forums is too risky from my point of view.

Ok. This isn't the end of the discussion. I welcome thoughts on this and on the changes as a whole. They are not set in stone and it takes the whole community for me to properly guide these changes so that everyone is looked after.

Thanks,
    Trevor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast