• Former Churro Jockey

(Satire) I hate MiceChat! Burn this mother to the ground!!!

I usually try to be respectful and even-keeled about anything I post on here, and I always make an effort to try to see things from various points of view, but I have to admit that the animosity that is emerging toward this site is making me mad. I'm very suprised and disappointed to see all of the conspiracy theories that have developed regarding the most recent update.

First, the idea that MiceAge has been either fabricating or pushing rumors that they knew were not going to happen just to drive more traffic to the site is ludicrous. I do understand the point of view that says that MiceAge maybe could not say that things are happning so definitively, and that they could try to use different wording to make it clear that either (a) this is just a rumor and may or may not be true, or (b) this is true as of right now, however Disney changes their minds every five minutes and so by the time you read this it may be completely false even though it was true at one time.

MiceAge is a fan site.

They don't have corporate lawyers proofreading everything that they post. I don't want to see legal disclaimers on everything they post. Anyone reading a MiceAge update should be intelligent enough to understand that these are rumors and not facts. I really hate this thing in our society right now where everyone is either offended on behalf of someone else, or believes that other people will not be smart enough to realize certain things unless they are explicitly stated. For example: "I know that these are just rumors. However, I'm worried that other people (read -- people who are not as smart as me) won't realize that these are rumors and will take them as fact."

MiceAge is a fan site.

They are not professional journalists and they will post rumors before they are confirmed because I as a Disney fan really want to know about the current things that Disney is working on for Disneyland, even though it may never come to fruition. MiceAge seems to have some pretty amazing inside sources, who generally end up being correct about anything that actually does end up happening. However, sometimes they are wrong, or sometimes they don't have all the information, or sometimes Disney changes their mind. Was the Star Wars land or Monstropolis ever actually going to happen? Not necessarily. I'm sure most people on this site know that Imagineers develop a project, present it, and then it either gets accepted, rejected, or modified. Even after Disney announces things (like Westcot) they change.

MiceAge is a fan site.

Sure, I thought that some of the commentary regarding the MyMagic Bands was biased, and the story about why Iger decided to stop any current projects may have had a little bit of spin to it, but that's true of anything you read. No one is every truly unbiased. Everyone looks at the world through their own rose-colored glasses and interprets what they see based on their own beliefs and life experiences. Maybe Disney decided to stop all of their projects for the theme parks because of the costs of MyMagic bands. Maybe they didn't. Maybe people at Disney realized that no one really wanted Monstropolis or the Star Wars land inside of Tomorrowland, and blaming MyMagic bands was a way of stopping those projects without blaming someone there (and potentially costing someone their job). Maybe this is all strictly for show for the shareholders and Disney has every intention of pursuing these projects next year. Any article you read here on MiceAge is always going to be biased and opinionated. That is what this site is about, and that is why I come here, because I generally tend to agree with the bias of most of the people who write the articles here more than people on other fan sites.

MiceAge is a fan site.

If you don't trust the writers and their sources anymore, go somewhere else. That's the great thing about the internet. Whatever your personally biases and beliefs are, chances are there is a community that shares them where you can feel welcome and understood. But please don't accuse them of posting articles that they know are either not true or not likely in order to drive traffic to their site. MiceAge is already one of the biggest fan communities on the internet. It is run by people who are very passionate about what they do and take a lot of time and effort and energy out of their normal daily lives in order to bring us articles about the parks that we love. I promise you no one is getting rich here and it is a sacrifice even though running MiceAge is something that they love. I have a very good friend of mine who runs his own fan site and I know what a huge sacrifice he makes keeping that site going. MiceAge doesn't charge you anything to read their articles or be a member of their community. So say that the rumors are not true, say that MiceAge is wrong and MyMagic bands are going to be the greatest thing that Disney has ever done, say that the articles are poorly written, that they are biased, say that they need legal disclaimers on everything that they write, but don't say that this is anything other then a site run by dedicated and passionate people who love Disney and want it to be the best that it can be. After everything they've been right about in the past, they've earned at least that.

Oh, and did I mention that MiceAge was a fan site?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Singing Drinker

Re: (Satire) I hate MiceChat! Burn this mother to the ground!!!

I've been kinda weirded out by the 'attack the messenger' vibe lately.

MC has sources. Every site that puts out original content of the 'rumor and speculation' variety has sources. No one ever said they had to agree with each other, and I view it as a given that a source has their own motivation and interpretation of the information they pass along. Even more, it's LONG been a truism that you don't take ANYONE'S word for it - even 'official announcements' - until the ride opens.

It makes me wonder how much MC gets hit by sockpuppets for other websites and Disney.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Excellent post, Big D -- I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    It makes me wonder how much MC gets hit by sockpuppets for other websites and Disney.
    No need to wonder.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Excellent post, Big D -- I couldn't agree more.

No need to wonder.
    I take great pride in being my own sock puppet. It's uncomfortable and means I type one handed, but at least I know the idiocy spewing forth in my name is mine.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Not the Hawkguy

I'm of the opinion that MiceAge has just been receiving some bad info, which is common with any fan site, or even in reporting. Take the recent stories surrounding UCLA coach Jim Mora for example; a large amount of Seattle news sources began to report that Mora to Washington was a done deal due to insider sources, and then it came out that Mora had signed a contract extension with UCLA. Point is, I imagine a few people inside Disney feed MiceAge info to get their agenda pushed, such as possibly blaming MyMagic+ on any dropped projects, but I can't blame MiceAge for posting them. Their job is to find these rumors and report them, nothing more.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

They are actually called moles, shills... other names. And its not necessarily other Disney websites but frequently Disney itself. :

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    They are actually called moles, shills... other names. And its not necessarily other Disney websites but frequently Disney itself. :
    I think any thought that Disney doesn't have shills reading the site went out the window when MC got namechecked at D23, if not significantly before.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Thanks for the post, Big D.

I think any thought that Disney doesn't have shills reading the site went out the window when MC got namechecked at D23, if not significantly before.

It likely goes back all the way back to a.d.d. (No. Not attention deficit disorder.)

a.d.d. was alt.disney.disneyland

Here is an and older topic about a.d.d. Alt.Disney.Disneyland )

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Thanks for the post, Big D.

It likely goes back all the way back to a.d.d. (No. Not attention deficit disorder.)

a.d.d. was alt.disney.disneyland

Here is an and older topic about a.d.d. Alt.Disney.Disneyland )
    I remember ADD. Used to have fun on that board - was a poster then and also a few other UseNet boards. Part of where I learned how to troll