Thread: Closed threads

Closed threads

Why are the threads on this site closed so fast?
    I don't see the point of closing a thread at all!
    Why can't you comment on an older thread?
    Seem a little strange to me for a forum to keep closing them.
    I guess I am one of those people who drop by once in a while, when I get time, and don't sit here every day posting comments like the Facebook addicts. Is that the reason? You must be here daily or you lose out on posting your comment?

Just wondering.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Closed threads

There is an automatic function that shuts threads automatically after a certain set period of time if there are no new posts in it, hard-wired into the forum system - it's over a month, certainly to judge from the oldest visible thread I just looked up in the Disneyland section, but not sure precise setting of elapsed time without new posting. If an old thread is desired opened/relevant once more, a message/request to any member of moderation staff can achieve that with relative ease (please include a link to desired thread to be opened, of course).

There are also cases where threads are manually locked, due to lapsing into arguments and personal attacks, but we try and do that only rarely and in cases where a topic has been thoroughly debated and lapsed into animosity/attacking posts rather than discussion. Those cases should be obvious if includes a note from any member of staff, or the contents are primarily about hot-button issues and bashing the other side or attending public for their behavior.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    There is an automatic function that shuts threads automatically after a certain set period of time if there are no new posts in it, hard-wired into the forum system - it's over a month, certainly to judge from the oldest visible thread I just looked up in the Disneyland section, but not sure precise setting of elapsed time without new posting. If an old thread is desired opened/relevant once more, a message/request to any member of moderation staff can achieve that with relative ease (please include a link to desired thread to be opened, of course).

There are also cases where threads are manually locked, due to lapsing into arguments and personal attacks, but we try and do that only rarely and in cases where a topic has been thoroughly debated and lapsed into animosity/attacking posts rather than discussion. Those cases should be obvious if includes a note from any member of staff, or the contents are primarily about hot-button issues and bashing the other side or attending public for their behavior.
    Thanks for the reply!
    I don't think too many people are going to go to the trouble of trying to get a thread reopened once it is closed though. It just seems that the time frame to automatically closed an unused thread should be much longer than one month. Maybe make it 3 months or more. I don't know. You guys that are here all the time probably no more about this stuff than I do.
    Thanks again.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I think if I remember correctly its suppose to be a 3 month window. We open threads in the debate lounge on occasion, as new information or relevant content comes up.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.