• Pilot EdForceOne

Who starts more threads? The community or the spammers?

Can we please get some east coast moderators or Europeans who can get rid of all the video link spammers that dominate all the new posts activity every single morning for hours?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Can we please get some east coast moderators or Europeans who can get rid of all the video link spammers that dominate all the new posts activity every single morning for hours?
    Yes, please.

I doubt they can be blocked automatically--they don't seem totally automated. It'd be cool (for a short while, I'd guess) if Micechatters who have posted 10 or fewer times had to go through an additional step to make these ads promoting intellectual property theft less convenient.

I'd guess it's an underpaid person posting these from outside of the U.S., paid by a sleazy company that is outsourcing this spam. When I have time I just mark these threads with one star and list the poster as "unhelpful," just in case drawing attention to these posts will help them get deleted.

I think on a funny old Daily Show episode they filled a spammer's system with spam and the guy was too stupid to make a connection.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Re: Who starts more threads? The community or the spammers?

We know how frustrating it is to have to wade through the spam threads. Would that we could just flip a switch and they would just get automatically flushed as soon as they are posted. We do employ a number of tactics that reduce the number of spam posts the public sees to a fraction of those that actually attempt to post. We know that's small comfort when our members have to waste their time just getting past the posts of these folks, but "we're doing the best we can", is, unfortunately, the best answer we have so far.

I'm closing this thread, because the direction it would likely go next is questions about what sorts of ways we reduce the volume, and we clearly wouldn't entertain a discussion of that in full view of the spammers.

Thanks for the considerable help of many of you in pointing out posted spam. You make our jobs considerably easier.
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Who starts more threads? The community or the spammers?

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Yes, please.

I doubt they can be blocked automatically--they don't seem totally automated. It'd be cool (for a short while, I'd guess) if Micechatters who have posted 10 or fewer times had to go through an additional step to make these ads promoting intellectual property theft less convenient.

I'd guess it's an underpaid person posting these from outside of the U.S., paid by a sleazy company that is outsourcing this spam. When I have time I just mark these threads with one star and list the poster as "unhelpful," just in case drawing attention to these posts will help them get deleted.

I think on a funny old Daily Show episode they filled a spammer's system with spam and the guy was too stupid to make a connection.
    Actually we don't see this when you mark threads or give them rep. We have to actually dig and go looking specifically for rep on a specific user to see it. The best thing to do is "report post" when you see spam. That brings it front and center to us and we can address it as soon as we can.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.