Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

A Thank You and a Suggestion.

First of all, I love MiceChat. It brings me a lot of enjoyment. I have learned a lot, and consider many MiceChatters my friends, even though I have not met them face to face.

I thank the people that started this site, and keep it running. It is a very well run site in my opinion.

Not all the members, anywhere, agree all the time.

I only have one suggestion. Would it help the site run faster, if a lower cap was put on threads. It is now 2,000. I actually think that that is way too high. I think most threads could be cut off at about 500. Most topics have been expired long before that. Random threads, are just that, random. A new one can be started to replace an old one. That is my suggestion.

I thank everyone at MiceChat for making this site such a fun part of my day.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: A Thank You and a Suggestion.

I think that is a stellar idea. Great job, Barbarann!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: A Thank You and a Suggestion.

Recently there has been complaint about random threads, that take a lot of time to load. I don't quite understand a lot of the technical stuff. If some threads are continually loading over and over again, and their numbers are in the 1,000's, I can understand how that would slow things down.

Again, I say most topics have long been expired at 500 posts. Make 500 the cap on threads instead of the 2,000 that it is at now.
    Pop Century Resort

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Out hope is that most threads die on their own and don't require a Moderator to close it. I'd hate to ask our volunteers to chase down all the threads that reach 500 every day. Not nearly as many threads reach 2,000. But you are correct that all the huge nonsense threads do slow the site down a bit.

My suggestion to all would be to stop posting in a thread as soon as the topic has been talked out. Also, MiceChat Live is a great way to chat without clogging up the boards.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Out hope is that most threads die on their own and don't require a Moderator to close it. I'd hate to ask our volunteers to chase down all the threads that reach 500 every day. Not nearly as many threads reach 2,000. But you are correct that all the huge nonsense threads do slow the site down a bit.

My suggestion to all would be to stop posting in a thread as soon as the topic has been talked out. Also, MiceChat Live is a great way to chat without clogging up the boards.
    I understand what you are saying about the moderators closing a thread down, but I really do not think that very many threads, reach 500.

It only seems to be the game threads, the raising the post count threads, and threads like the DMCA, that go past 1,000. These are the types of threads that have been complained about recently.

I don't think that these types of threads are going to disappear, as long as people enjoy them. However, wouldn't the site run smoother if they were capped at 500? That was my original point.
    Pop Century Resort

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    It only seems to be the game threads, the raising the post count threads, and threads like the DMCA, that go past 1,000. These are the types of threads that have been complained about recently.
    There are only a very few threads that reach the 2,000 post limit. The DMCA is now a part of MC Gold. The only people allowed to read it are those whom are a par tof the club. It is not the same as the games threads, nor the raise the post threads. The DMCA is a community of friends who hang out on MC and talk about current topics that interest us.

BTW: Aren't you a member of the Random posters group, and don't you have a thread called Digging for Diamonds, which is the same thing as raising your post count threads?
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been totally misunderstood.

I post a lot on MiceChat. I have posted in many different forums. I have been very upset lately because the threads that reach high levels have been singled out as causing MiceChat to slow down.

The threads that I frequent the most are some of the threads that I myself started. It is in these threads that I have developed friendships.

I was not in any way criticizing the DMCA. I am sorry if that was the impression that I gave.

I was just offering an opinion. I do not know enough about the technical workings of MiceChat and I guess I should have just kept quiet.
    Pop Century Resort

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    You guys actually have to manually close the threads if they reach 2,000 posts? I would think the board software could be set to do this automatically, whether it be 2,000 posts or 500 posts.

I'm not sure as to the exact symantics of the system but I would be willing to bet that one post that is the start of a topic is larger, how much so I am unsure, than one that is just a post. If this is the case than capping at 500 would be worse than 2,000 because you now have four topics where you originally had one.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    You guys actually have to manually close the threads if they reach 2,000 posts? I would think the board software could be set to do this automatically, whether it be 2,000 posts or 500 posts.
    At the moment, we do almost everything manually. This is why you sometimes see those big threads head well past 2,000 posts. We just don't catch them in time. You can spot a MiceChat Moderator by the tired expression on their face and their "fingers to the bone" hands.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I was just offering an opinion. I do not know enough about the technical workings of MiceChat and I guess I should have just kept quiet.
    And opinions are welcome and encouraged here. Don't ever feel like you have to stifle your views.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    And opinions are welcome and encouraged here. Don't ever feel like you have to stifle your views.
    I thank you for that.
    Pop Century Resort

• Winter in Oceanside...

I have been totally misunderstood.
    I totally understand your point Barbarann and I agree. I am very surprised that MC software can't be set to automatically close at a certain point.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    I am very surprised that MC software can't be set to automatically close at a certain point.
    It might be possible, we just haven't figured it out yet.
    Find us on Facebook:

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    I totally understand your point Barbarann and I agree. I am very surprised that MC software can't be set to automatically close at a certain point.
    That's what I was wondering.

If the board software does not include such a feature, then a modification could be found. I am unaware though as to how vBulletin feels about modifications to the board software. This would also require the boards to be shut down for a few minutes as files would have to be manually edited and reuploaded. But I'm not familiar with how vBulletin works in those regards.

But I do still think that lowering the cap would make things slower.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    The DMCA is now a part of MC Gold. The only people allowed to read it are those whom are a par tof the club. It is not the same as the games threads, nor the raise the post threads. The DMCA is a community of friends who hang out on MC and talk about current topics that interest us.
    Which is pretty much what some of us use the so called random threads for. Those of us who aren't members of the DMCA use the misc. threads in the lounge to hang out on MC and talk about stuff that interests us. Using the "chat room" is not always easy or convenient for everyone.

Some threads die a natural death. Some threads we keep alive just so we have a place to hang out in and chat. As I understand it, from a technical stand point there are X number of threads on the main page of any part of MiceChat at one time. (ie-- the Lounge) The amount of time it takes that page to load doesn't matter if every single thread on that page is nothing but random ones or a page full of "Who's your favorite of the Seven Dwarfs" type of threads, the page limit is 25 threads no matter what. So someone please tell me how the type of thread slows the loading of a page. Unless I'm confused which I admit happens often.....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast