View Poll Results: Should we create a "Games" forum on MiceChat?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - and suppress the "Games" threads from showing up in "New Posts"

17 28.81%
  • Yes - and don't suppress the "Games" threads from showing up in the "New Posts"

7 11.86%
  • Yes - "Game" posts shouldn't count toward your total post count

19 32.20%
  • No - Leave everything the way it is

16 27.12%
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

• back in Austin

separate forum for "game threads"?

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'd like to suggest to the forum moderators that they open a forum (within another forum? I don't know) just for all the game threads. There seem to be a LOT of threads that aren't really about anything but are just set up for people to have fun. Like the "Where in the (Disney) World" threads, or the "change one letter in this five-letter word" thread, or the kinds of threads where you comment on the previous and next posters, etc. You know what I'm talking about, cuz they're all over the place.

Seems to me they belong in their own category.

Just a thot.

ADMIN NOTE (Copied from announcement at the end of the thread):

Thank you all for your help! There were lots of opinions on both sides of the question (some of them surprisingly heated). We are flattered that so many of you take your post counts seriously and won't be suppressing the games post counts.

Here's what we are going to do for now:
    - We'll soon be creating a new MiceChat Games Lounge
    - Posts will still count toward your total post count
    - If the number of games threads becomes too overwhelming, we'll suppress them from showing up in the New Posts until things settle down.

Please keep in mind that we are a very fluid board and make all sorts of minor changes from time to time to keep things running smoothly. If something starts to cause a problem, we'll fix it. If the fix needs tweaking, we'll do it. So no worries. We'll get this right eventually. You can count on that.

Your thoughts, help, and support are always appreciated. We hope that we have come up with a compromise that everyone can live with.

Cheers,
    Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 05-03-2006 at 09:16 PM.

• back in Austin

Re: separate forum for "game threads"?

Yeah, and I might step on some toes saying this, but I think the "raise your post count" threads oughta go in the same general place. Those threads, and the "game" ones are all kind of self-absorbed. They're not (usually) about anything Disney, they're just there for their own sakes.

Edit: I don't mean to say that I think the people who participate in these threads are self-absorbed, I'm talking about the threads' self-referential nature. I like the game threads too, and I'm not trying to call myself names!
    Last edited by RenMan; 05-02-2006 at 07:56 PM.

• Huh?

Well... there is the MC Gold game club... but, I do agree. Game threads would be better in its own forum rather than putting everything in the lounge. Maybe as a subgroup of the lounge.
    -Tim

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I don't really see what difference it makes, what forum these threads start in, they all end up in the same place, and that's New Posts.

When the topics about Disney Parks and Disney Things are drawing our attention, they are at the top of New Posts. Otherwise, the game, and other random threads appear more frequently at the top of New Posts. The game threads and the random threads are fun. MiceChat is about Disney, but it is also about having fun.

• back in Austin

I'm not dissing the game threads; I've posted to them! I think they belong, I'm just talking about where...

It's just that I see them in the Disneyland Forum, the Lounge Forum, etc. Seems like they oughta be in one place. Not a big deal either way.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    I don't really see what difference it makes, what forum these threads start in, they all end up in the same place, and that's New Posts.

When the topics about Disney Parks and Disney Things are drawing our attention, they are at the top of New Posts. Otherwise, the game, and other random threads appear more frequently at the top of New Posts. The game threads and the random threads are fun. MiceChat is about Disney, but it is also about having fun.
    I know topics like this have been a hot button plenty of times, so I understand you being quick to get defensive. However I don't think you're quite understanding the suggestion. The op doesn't want them gone alltogether, just to have their own forum/category. Not everyone does all of the board surfing via "new posts". Having different sections allows us to look at what we want. For example, I don't generally look in the DL forum, because I liv e in Florida and follow the WDW forum instead. All that's being suggested is that there is a place to contain all the games.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    The op doesn't want them gone all together, just to have their own forum/category.
    I'd like to see that. Then if you want to play games, you go right to that forum. Or you can ignore them if you aren't in the mood, or aren't a player. If you want to chat about something specific (Disney, politics, dinner...) you go to those forums.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

But what about the games that do involve Disney stuff? Like one of the word of the days and where in the disney world... Would those get thrown into the game pile even though they're specifically for a certain park(s)?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

No I absolutely understand what he is saying. I check out the different forums from time to time. I use my User CP a lot. I can post in the threads that I frequent everyday, by checking my User CP, and seeing which of my subscribed threads have activity. I check New Posts a lot too, because that is where you can see all new activity that has been posted. I don't limit my self to anyone forum, I jump around a lot. However the best place to see the new stuff, is New Posts. If a discussion begins on a Disney related item, while I am playing a game, the best place for me to see it, is if I am checking new posts. If I limit myself to anyone forum, I am missing something new, that may pop up that might interest me.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    But what about the games that do involve Disney stuff? Like one of the word of the days and where in the disney world...
    Some of the games are park-specific, so they would have to stay where they are. I guess that's one reason why this sort of organization hasn't happened already.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    ... However the best place to see the new stuff, is New Posts....
    I may be missing something (seriously, I might), but wouldn't your system still work even if a new forum were created for the game threads and "raise your post count" threads? It doesn't seem to me like an either/or thing.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

We have actually kicked this around a few times. I'm not opposed to this idea, but would want to see what more members think. I've added a poll to the top of this thread to see what the community thinks about this idea.

If we did do this, we'd put the Games forum in either the Entertainment or Lounge sections. Options include suppressing the "Games" posts from showing up in the "New Posts" search and/or allowing "Games" posts from counting in a member's total post count.

Don't forget to vote

-Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 05-01-2006 at 08:44 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• white and nerdy

well, I'll vote once I see the poll, but I think it is a good idea to have a seperate forum for those kind of threads. I've noticed that it's hard to find real conversation in the lounge anymore due mainly to the game/raise your post threads. I like the threads myself (even started several of them) but I'd like to see more real conversation back in the lounge.

I imagine that the parameters of the forum would be game threads, random post threads, and raise your post threads, right? There will probably be lots of moved posts if it is put in effect, but I'm in favor of it.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Vehicle rotating backward

Keep things as they are.

I'm not a fan of this because it will simply encourage more of them. They're no more wasteful of bandwith and people's time than the various "clique" threads in lounges. If you want to sit and play "Heal cinderella's slipper, Hurt aurora's shoulderpads" all day, there's a bunch of other Disney boards for just that. Don't provoke it here with a Games forum.

• Give Peace a Chance

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    We have actually kicked this around a few times. I'm not opposed to this idea, but would want to see what more members think. I've added a poll to the top of this thread to see what the community thinks about this idea.

If we did do this, we'd put the Games forum in either the Entertainment or Lounge sections. Options include suppressing the "Games" posts from showing up in the "New Posts" search and/or allowing "Games" posts from counting in a member's total post count.

Don't forget to vote

-Dusty
    I can only speak for myself but it was done on another forum I was on, they also took away the post count from the "games posts". These are the main reasons for the decision that was made:

Many members used the games threads only to increase their post count, all quantity, no quality.

Some members were so bad at this we would catch them playing with themselves in the game threads! At least let someone else respond before answering yourself.

Though it is fine if a member prefers games to any other form of interaction on the boards, it did not seem fair to allow them to continue to run up a post count with out contributing to the rest of the community.

Once the post count was taken away from games the interest dropped by 98%. This seemed to substantiate the fact that the games were simply being used to run up post counts.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

• white and nerdy

I guess I don't see anything wrong with posting silly game threads to increase the post count.

If someone has over 5,000 posts I just assume they like their random threads.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast