Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1

    • Incognito
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,469
    Blog Entries
    49

    Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    When starting a thread that you think might be interesting, make sure the thread title is interesting and has some sort of information about what you want to discuss. Saying "Do you...." or "Lets" or "How about this?" as thread titles gives me nothing to work with as I scan the threads, and therefore I and many others arent going to bother wasting our time clicking into it to see what you want to discuss. If you wanna discuss Splash Mountain drops, say something like "Splash Mountains drops, which is your favorite" or something like that, not "Drops" or even "Splash Mountain". Too vague.

    Please try and use some punctuation reading sentences with no punctuation is difficult lets try using some periods or question marks see it's not that hard

    If you're thinking of starting a thread about a subject that already has 794 threads already, see if what you want to discuss fits into any of the other 794 threads. More than likely, it does, and it'll save the mods time from having to merge threads. Plus it'll save the Micechat community from having once again to see another thread with the subject that says "Yet another <insert name> thread".

    Please feel free to add your own helpful hints to starting and mainting the perfect thread on Micechat!

  2. #2

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    But what if the subject only has 793 threads devoted to it? Should I make the 794 and only post in the others once the count nears 795?
    -Tim

  3. #3

    • Neep meep beep
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seven miles from Disneyland/DCA!
    Posts
    6,991

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    I couldn't agree more! I hate threads that start "What about...",

    and when you click on the link, it has yet another stupid idea for a new ride. Just say "New ride idea: Mr. Toad 3000" or whatever!

  4. #4

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Onut!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  5. #5

    • Wishin' I was at WDW.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NYC.
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Excellent thread ONut... In the past few months MiceChat has become overrun by repeat threads, or threads started for no real reason at all making it harder and harder to sift through to find the good stuff.

  6. #6

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    If you're thinking of starting a thread about a subject that already has 794 threads already, see if what you want to discuss fits into any of the other 794 threads. More than likely, it does, and it'll save the mods time from having to merge threads. Plus it'll save the Micechat community from having once again to see another thread with the subject that says "Yet another <insert name> thread".
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

    What if your, say, "Yet another bad CM thread" incident is a completely different TYPE of incident than the existing threads, and you would rather debate the minutiae of the incident than bad CMs in general?

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  7. #7

    • <3
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Posts
    4,332
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread




    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain





  8. #8

    • Incognito
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,469
    Blog Entries
    49

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

    What if your, say, "Yet another bad CM thread" incident is a completely different TYPE of incident than the existing threads, and you would rather debate the minutiae of the incident than bad CMs in general?
    PM me when you have a moment like that and I'll let you know if its acceptable - lol.

  9. #9

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Lol.

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  10. #10

    • My cuties!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    WA state
    Posts
    3,576

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Yay Onut!!!

  11. #11

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Now a WDW Local!
    Posts
    20,520
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    I am so so grateful that MC has the preview feature where you can read the first line or so of a post. It helps with those threads that you don't know what they're about by the subject line!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...





  12. #12

    • ...the legend
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Awesomeville, party of one.
    Posts
    7,331
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    I am so so grateful that MC has the preview feature where you can read the first line or so of a post. It helps with those threads that you don't know what they're about by the subject line!
    I agree, that's a great feature. It's like a movie trailer
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milpitas, CA
    Posts
    164

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    When starting a thread that you think might be interesting, make sure the thread title is interesting and has some sort of information about what you want to discuss. Saying "Do you...." or "Lets" or "How about this?" as thread titles gives me nothing to work with as I scan the threads, and therefore I and many others arent going to bother wasting our time clicking into it to see what you want to discuss.
    That's why I really like the feature where you can mouse over the thread title and see the first paragraph. Then I can read a little more before deciding if I should open the whole thread.

    Great ideas!
    JULIE
    This is my signature.

  14. #14

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,904
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    A catchy title gets people to look. A related question in a new thread rather than in an existing thread may get answered faster, because it now has everyone's attention, and is not buried in a thread that most MiceChatters are no longer clicking on.

  15. #15

    • Waiting for the stork
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in a chaotic world
    Posts
    4,697

    Re: Onuts guide to a better Micechat thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    A catchy title gets people to look. A related question in a new thread rather than in an existing thread may get answered faster, because it now has everyone's attention, and is not buried in a thread that most MiceChatters are no longer clicking on.
    Barbaraann, while It is true, that you may get an answer or two quickly by starting a thread, It does in fact defeat the purpose of this thread, which I interpret to be: cleaning up the boards a bit.

    It is getting very crowded out there, I tend to skip threads that have similar titles...I just don't have time.

    I also tend to gravitate towards longer post count threads, the descussion is more involved, many people are paying attention to it, and if I have a comment or question to add it will most likely be seen by the group most intrested or capable of answering it...

    see if I post a question about the new Pirates Rehab... (just an example)
    it first off, may get overlooked because there are so many threads about the pirates rehab/movie

    but also If I post my question....

    then 15 other people come in with there own questions and start a thread for each question, my thread is now way at the bottom of page 2 and noone has replied yet...

    but if we direct all questions (or at least most) to a specific thread Pirates/Small world/ Peter Pan...etc they are more likely to get the attention they deserve.

    So in conclusion, I feel that posting a new thread for each new Question is in fact detramental to the person seeking information....

    Keep it all together people! much easier to decifer.


    Just my opinion
    procrastibating

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Review] Ridemax vs Unofficial Guide vs Micechat
    By thejoshualee in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
  3. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 07:32 AM
  4. GUIDE: Where a MiceChat meet is exactly located
    By barfownz in forum Contests, Meets and Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •