• The Purifier

A few tech questions from a newbie...

Hello,

I do not know 1. where you guys got the great disney pictures for your signatures and avatars and, 2. how do you put them in the signature? I am not very computer savvy and I don't know how to post a picture in my signature. Is it just a matter of cut and paste?

Thanks!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life."
    -Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: A few tech questions from a newbie...

Most of the stuff I find I get by doing a google image search. When you go to Google, above where you type in what you are looking for it says web, images, groups etc. Click on images then type in something like Goofy jpg or Mickey gif and you will get pages of pics.

*note* most of the images are technically copyrighted... so their use without permission is technically illegal.. that said.....

I have a Mac, so the procedure I use will be a bit different than if you have a PC. But when I find a pic I want to use I can just drag and drop it onto my desktop.

Getting the pics into the avatar is easy. I see you already have that down. Putting then in your sig takes a bit more. You have to use the IMG code to post it.

Before you can post the pic it has to be uploaded to a picture hosting service. A lot of people here use www.photobucket.com. Its free and pretty easy to use. Once you have the image uploded to their webside it will have 3 different "methods" for posting, the URL, TAG (HTML) and IMG. The last one is what you want to use. All you have to do is copy that code, and paste it into your sig box in the User CP where you edit the sig.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• insufferable know-it-all

Yeah seconding the photobucket thing. I mean, yeah, you could technically upload photos to your ISP-provided webspace and type out the img code to post it, but that's too much trouble, especially if you're not familiar with HTML or the vB variations on it. Best thing is sign up for a photobucket account (free), it's totally easy to upload photos, and they give you the code so all you have to do is cut and paste - the code you want to post on micechat is the IMG code in brackets [].

Please, as a courtesy to other posters, don't use too huge an image in your signature.

As far as acquiring images, you can either use your own photos, draw something in MS Paint, or do as penguin suggested and get them off images.yahoo.com

Ebay is another great image source, but the same problems apply as far as you not having the copyright to those images.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• The Purifier

Thank you both so much. I will experiment this weekend at home. Unfortunately, I am unable to download anything at work (which is where I am now! Luckily, they don't mind if we surf a little at work).

My avatar was done for me by a friend so I am not really that familiar on how to do it.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life."
    -Walt Disney