Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Still having DNS issues

I don't know what could be causing this.. or how this symptom even comes to be. All I know is it started after the last server move.

I still periodically get errors where the hostname can not be resolved. This happens from both work (AT&T DNS servers) and from home (cable modem and Adelphia DNS servers). I also have access to another DNS server which runs from its own root hints file.

The situation is typically clicking on the URL in notification emails. The site can not be resolved. Trying again from within the browser does not work. But using the IP instead of the hostname does work, so I know the website is up.

Typically I'll try a nslookup from the computer, using its default DNS lookups, and it will fail. But after hitting the website via IP, normally the DNS lookup succeeds! And any browser links work after that.

I haven't done a dig or anything on the domain yet to look at its configuration.. but this is the only site where I have this problem. And I get it from multiple networks (with their own DNS servers).

Next steps are to compare the configs and look at the path between me and the DNS servers to ensure I can actually hit those servers when the failure occurs.. but this is very strange.

No way this is propogation errors, etc unless the domain has some rediculous TTLs configured.

Anyone else see this.. MonorailMan.. any input? I can start doing more diag, but figured I'd see if I was alone first.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Still having DNS issues

No, I have problems everyday getting on this site. It is the only site that I have problems getting on. I don't understand all that computer jargon, but I have ceased to complain until now, and I just keep trying.

I just keep restarting, and trying again. Eventually I get on. Sometimes it's the first try. Most times not. Yesterday, I couldn't get on, after trying for almost an hour.

Also, I never know when I will get knocked off. I use to be able to keep my computer logged on MiceChat all day. I would go to screen saver, and MiceChat would always still be there. Not any more.

I have been in the middle of posting, and then MiceChat freezes and I get that "dreaded white page" Can't find server.

I love my MiceChat. Lately, it doesn't like me.

• Banned User

ok, I am having problems again to. not being able to get on, not being able to post ect. I did a clean cache, so all is well there. whats up ?

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think the domain has got serious DNS issues still.

#1 - The nameservers for the domain are its own domain. This is valid, but requires the concept of glue records. It seems a singificant portion of the problem is that ns1.micechat.com isn't resolvable most of the time. This would infer no glue record exists for this FQDN name. The glue record is typically created when you register the domain. But if they have since modified the domain heavily (which we know they have) this might not have been done. The simpliest solution to avoid this is to have your domain's NS not be in your domain. But sounds like the admin needs to talk to the DNS registar.

Some reading on glue records
    - http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/arc...e_records.html
    - http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch8/ns.html

An important quote
    "In the case of the TLD servers the glue data is not obtained from the domain zone file but from the Registrar when the domain name is registered"

#2 - The domain's registar info doesn't even match what is actually current on the domain. The domain is registered from AAAQ.com. The whois info from there shows
    Domain Name: micechat.com
    Registrar: AAAQ.COM
    Whois Server: whois.aaaq.com
    Referral URL: http://www.aaaq.com
    Name Server: named1.micechat.com
    Name Server: named2.micechat.com
    Updated Date: 2006-08-11
    Creation Date: 2004-12-28
    Expiration Date: 2008-12-28

BUT.. the actual domain zone files show DIFFERENT nameservers.

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> micechat.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 23033
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;micechat.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    micechat.com. 12182 IN A 69.16.243.148

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    micechat.com. 84182 IN NS ns1.micechat.com.
    micechat.com. 84182 IN NS ns2.micechat.com.

the actual domain file shows ns1.micechat.com where the registar shows named1.micechat.com

Ergo.. I believe that's the problem. The domain file itself is pointing to ns1.micechat.com where those records do not have glue records (IN A records in the registar's TLD file) so servers are told to query ns1.micechat.com but have no clue where ns1.micechat.com actually is.

Either the domain, or the registar need to be fixed. Fixing the domain file will be faster, as its TTL is probably much less then the registar's. MonorailMan.. update the zone file for micechat.com to point to named1 and named2 for NS records. I think that will fix it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Wow.. even more fun. From this output.. it appears that the root server info on micechat.com is conflicting

From the dig output

;; Received 490 bytes from 202.12.27.33#53(M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) in 155 ms

micechat.com. 172800 IN NS named1.micechat.com.
    micechat.com. 172800 IN NS named2.micechat.com.
    ;; Received 104 bytes from 192.48.79.30#53(J.GTLD-SERVERS.NET) in 44 ms

micechat.com. 14400 IN A 69.16.243.148
    micechat.com. 86400 IN NS ns2.micechat.com.
    micechat.com. 86400 IN NS ns1.micechat.com.
    ;; Received 82 bytes from 69.16.243.145#53(named1.micechat.com) in 41 ms

Note the M root server shows named1 as the NS.. but the J root server shows ns1 for the NS.

Going even further.. more fun. the SOA statement for micechat.com apparently has ns1.micechat.com for its nameserver portion of the SOA line.. yet the DNS server at named1.micechat.com can't even resolve ns1.micechat.com to a A record.

So you got your zone file all setup for ns1.micechat.com, but the outside world wants to find you at named1.micechat.com (most of the time) and that server (69.16.243.145) doesn't know how to find ns1.micechat.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Hey, thanks for all your help flynnibus.

I've edited the zone file, and all seems to be well now. Hopefully this will work out for everyone else.
    -Monorail Man

• Pilot EdForceOne

Are you a network engineer?

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Things are still a bit messy from my testing here, but we'll see what happens after some TTLs expire. I do see the SOA record showing named1 now, and named1 resolves just fine.. and named1 knows all the RR records fine.. but I do see some queries showing NS records for ns1 still floating around.. and I assume that's just caching. I'm crossing my fingers

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I still had trouble getting on, and that was after Monorail Man's post.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    Hey, thanks for all your help flynnibus.

I've edited the zone file, and all seems to be well now. Hopefully this will work out for everyone else.
    I'm wondering if everything flynnibus was mentioning had an effect on the problem I've been having (still) with getting bumped off the board in the afternoon.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    I'm wondering if everything flynnibus was mentioning had an effect on the problem I've been having (still) with getting bumped off the board in the afternoon.

yeah I was having a problem, and I know kelly was being knocked off a lot, in fact after evey post hope all is well now.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't know what you meaned by 'bumped' but if you would get errors that the server could not be found.. this would be it. The forums pages do not refresh on their own any, so if you leave the page open on its own.. it should stay there.

For the other posters, this situation could lead to times where you can hit the site, and then after a period of time (after the caches expire) you would not.

On tip that has seemed to help.. change your link to micechat.com instead of www.micechat.com and that will get through and seems to help www.micechat.com resolve for a period of time.

Hopefully once these timers expire now after this morning's changes.. things will be better.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    I don't know what you meaned by 'bumped' but if you would get errors that the server could not be found.. this would be it. The forums pages do not refresh on their own any, so if you leave the page open on its own.. it should stay there.
    Every day at work, at between 12:20 and 2:20, I start being unable to access the site. When I try to refresh my new posts or click on a link, I get the standard IE error, DNS cannot be resolved, yada yada yada. This only happens at work, and it only started after the server change over.

Very odd.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Every day at work, at between 12:20 and 2:20, I start being unable to access the site. When I try to refresh my new posts or click on a link, I get the standard IE error, DNS cannot be resolved, yada yada yada. This only happens at work, and it only started after the server change over.

Very odd.
    What happens is DNS servers cache responses.. so they don't have to keep hitting the 'far end' server for every request. These caches time-out over time to get rid of stale data. What you describe sounds like what happens when the cache expires and it can't lookup the results again.

Try opening your command prompt.. and doing

nslookup micechat.com

You should get a response like

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: micechat.com
    Address: 69.16.243.148

After that, close your browser, and try hitting the website again. It often will work after that. Or just goto http://69.16.243.148 instead of http://www.micechat.com and the page will load too.. and often after that www.micechat.com links will work for a period of time.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    What happens is DNS servers cache responses.. so they don't have to keep hitting the 'far end' server for every request. These caches time-out over time to get rid of stale data. What you describe sounds like what happens when the cache expires and it can't lookup the results again.

Try opening your command prompt.. and doing

nslookup micechat.com

You should get a response like

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: micechat.com
    Address: 69.16.243.148

After that, close your browser, and try hitting the website again. It often will work after that. Or just goto http://69.16.243.148 instead of http://www.micechat.com and the page will load too.. and often after that www.micechat.com links will work for a period of time.
    Wow, thanks! I'll try this later today if I have the same problem again. This is great info flynnibus!!!! I feel like a moron for not thinking of hitting the site via IP addy instead of the URL. Doh!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Looks like everything is caught up now. The records look correct from here.. including the traces from the root servers info. So Hyperbole, you should be good tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast