•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Auto Read Feature?

Is there anyway we can turn off the Auto Read Feature. I know that when you open the window and it stays open for 20 minutes that when you refresh all of the new posts disappear. I seem to be missing so many that way.

Is there a way we can turn on something that lets us leave all new posts unread unless we specify?

Since I leave MC open all day on my computer at work, this would be so helpful for me so I don't miss anything.

I know I already inquired as to why this was happening once, but I can't find the original thread in here so I am asking again. Sorry for the repeat.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: Auto Read Feature?

There is not. This is the way that vB works.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    vBulletin should get a new forum update where we can turn it off.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

It's a big stinkin' bummer
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• done

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Hmmm, that's odd. I'm on another forum that also uses vbulletin, and they turned off their auto read feature, or at least modified it. I think it still marks everything as read if there's something like 30 minutes of non-activity, but otherwise, as long as you're doing stuff, things stay marked unread unless you tell it otherwise. It comes in really handy, especially since you can pop in and read just a few things if that's all the time you have, but you don't miss out on everything else that you don't have time to read at that moment.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Hmmm, that's odd. I'm on another forum that also uses vbulletin, and they turned off their auto read feature, or at least modified it. I think it still marks everything as read if there's something like 30 minutes of non-activity, but otherwise, as long as you're doing stuff, things stay marked unread unless you tell it otherwise. It comes in really handy, especially since you can pop in and read just a few things if that's all the time you have, but you don't miss out on everything else that you don't have time to read at that moment.
    Yeah, that's how it currently works here but I read MC off and on at work all day. I've been trying to train myself to close the window but you know..work happens.

So today I go from 1500 posts to 23, really stinks but thanks for answering anyway MM, I appreciate it and I know you would do something if you could.

• done

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Yeah, that's how it currently works here
    Really? Hmm, that's not been my experience. Last time I tested it, I logged out and when I logged back in, it had marked everything as read, even stuff I hadn't read. Guess I'll have to test it again.

• done

OK, I just tried it. I had 248 threads with unread posts. I logged out. Then I logged back in. And there was only one thread with unread posts. So it did mark everything as read when I logged out, even when I hadn't read them or marked them as read. Is there something I'm not toggling to tell it that I don't want it to mark everything as read when I log out?