Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Too Many Trip Reports?

Now perhaps it's because we had a huge meet on April Fools, but after cycling through over a dozen trip reports, I'm all trip-reported out.

That being said, I'm not picking on any member in particular, so don't take this personally. And there's no doubt whatsoever that some of the pictures and news you folks bring back to MiceChat is interesting and funny and beautiful and thoughtful, and should be shared. If I thought trip reports were a waste of time, I wouldn't be posting this; it's because I like them that I'm making some commentary here.

But what I'm noticing lately is that there is a plethora of trip reports, but very little of what I would describe as useful or worthwhile. You know what I'm talking about. Do we really need to see the same steel bars and holes in the dirt?

We've reached a point where there are so many people (which is not a bad thing!) who go through the bother of bringing cameras, taking pictures, uploading them to the Internet and posting them, that it has really become necessary to only bring out the "cream of the crop," if you will.

OK, I know I'm showing some favoritism here, but I really admire Hollywood1939 and MasterGracey's trip reports because they are always so informative and unique.

Darkbeer is one of the best at what he does, in my opinion, not just because he visits frequently, but because he maintains a certain amount of pertinence in his photos - always showing what's new, what's happening. DaddyB is on the other side of the spectrum with his gorgeous flower shots and interesting new perspectives.

So I guess what I'm asking for are some more "interesting new perspectives." There are thousands of ways to look at the same thing, but if it all looks the same, it's tiring seeing the same thing a thousand times. I take photos at the parks too, but I don't always share them because others have already covered the same ground many times over.

If all else fails, can we please put all the trip reports that are related to each other (i.e. meets) into one thread? Please?

• Minion

Re: Too Many Trip Reports?

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Now perhaps it's because we had a huge meet on April Fools, but after cycling through over a dozen trip reports, I'm all trip-reported out.

That being said, I'm not picking on any member in particular, so don't take this personally. And there's no doubt whatsoever that some of the pictures and news you folks bring back to MiceChat is interesting and funny and beautiful and thoughtful, and should be shared. If I thought trip reports were a waste of time, I wouldn't be posting this; it's because I like them that I'm making some commentary here.

But what I'm noticing lately is that there is a plethora of trip reports, but very little of what I would describe as useful or worthwhile. You know what I'm talking about. Do we really need to see the same steel bars and holes in the dirt?

We've reached a point where there are so many people (which is not a bad thing!) who go through the bother of bringing cameras, taking pictures, uploading them to the Internet and posting them, that it has really become necessary to only bring out the "cream of the crop," if you will.

OK, I know I'm showing some favoritism here, but I really admire Hollywood1939 and MasterGracey's trip reports because they are always so informative and unique.

Darkbeer is one of the best at what he does, in my opinion, not just because he visits frequently, but because he maintains a certain amount of pertinence in his photos - always showing what's new, what's happening. DaddyB is on the other side of the spectrum with his gorgeous flower shots and interesting new perspectives.

So I guess what I'm asking for are some more "interesting new perspectives." There are thousands of ways to look at the same thing, but if it all looks the same, it's tiring seeing the same thing a thousand times. I take photos at the parks too, but I don't always share them because others have already covered the same ground many times over.

If all else fails, can we please put all the trip reports that are related to each other (i.e. meets) into one thread? Please?
    Perhaps someone could start a 12-step group ...

•   
    • Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post

As a newer member, I must say that I appreciate and enjoy ALL of the reports. Please keep them coming.... just as they are!

• no flash photography...

you do have the option not to look at them. They are labeled trip reports and if you only like a few people who take pictures just read their threads....I don't see it as a big deal.

• white and nerdy

I still think a separate forum for trip reports is a good idea.

This site is a pretty good travel site with information about nearly any tourist destination in the world. Perhaps a sub forum within the Disneyland and other theme park threads would work. I don't want to see less, but a place of their own might be good.

Know what I mean?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Minion

I know I have the choice not to look at them. So just let me know if there's nothing useful in your TR, and I'll gliss over it

I think a sub forum is an excellent idea, Josh. It would be great to keep them all in one place.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

The cool thing about the different reports is the different points of view. Lately there have been a great deal of trip reports. It always seems to happen when there is a HUGE meet like this past Sunday. SHEESH there were a lot of people.

If the Trip reports get in your way you can always sort the threads by type using the drop down menu at the bottom of the page.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
    It always seems to happen when there is a HUGE meet like this past Sunday. SHEESH there were a lot of people.
    I know one guy who wasn't there
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    I know one guy who wasn't there
    Yeah! Where the heck were you!?!?! You still insist on hanging out in Utah?
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbulb View Post
    Yeah! Where the heck were you!?!?! You still insist on hanging out in Utah?
    Sorry, I applied for membership to California and they just laughed at me.

• back in Austin

haha! this is like the "old days" when Disneykat complained about the proliferation of sub lagoon photo threads. People said the same thing then: "you don't have to look at them." But once they're posted, you don't know if there's something new or interesting there without looking at it.

• Circle of Ancients

I know I have the choice not to look at them. So just let me know if there's nothing useful in your TR, and I'll gliss over it

Wow! I hope you are just kidding because if not, I don't think what you just said is very nice.

There's a saying "If you can't say something nice, just say nothing at all."

I happen to like all of the trip reports for various reasons, but mostly just because they reflect the personalities of the people doing the reports.

Like Scubabe said above, if you really just like trip reports done by certain people, you can always stick to reading just those .

I think a sub forum is an excellent idea, Josh. It would be great to keep them all in one place.

I DO like this idea as well!

• Senior Minion

Funny thing ... during lunch at the meet this past Sunday I was saying there were lots of trip reports ... yet I like looking at them. Sometimes though you just want to put one up for memories sake (yes I know you have the pictures already), but it also shows others what a great time can be had.

So far the only trip reports I've put up are from my first ever meet, a random trip on my own, and this past Sunday where I met a MiceChatter I've been "talking" to on here for the first time.

Like everyone said you decided wether you want to look at it or not, and I don't feel there should be a separate area for them either - they're fine where they're at.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

It is interesting to see the different perspectives. The few meets I've gone to, I look at all the reports to see how many pictures some how someone has managed to get me in a shot. That way I can look and go "Oh my gosh I wish I knew they got ME in that picture I would of ducked behind someone else more quickly... holy cow why didn't I have a tree in front of me... why did they get that angle....couldn't they have cropped that part of me out.... "
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 04-03-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post
    People said the same thing then: "you don't have to look at them." But if they're there, you don't know if there's something new or interesting there without looking at it.
    That's just what I'm saying. I don't like being put through the guesswork!

"Amaze me." - Eisner

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast