• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Post User Notice: - Thread Titles and New URL Info - How To - Please Read!

Howdy Chatters,

With the recent server switch, we enabled a new feature on the site - Descriptive thread URLs. The new URLs will include the key words from the title of your thread. Therefore, we need to ask your help in making sure that the thread titles that you pick for your thread include descriptive information about the subject matter.

Example:
    If you have a thread about a funny trick that you taught to your dog, you might title your thread: "Funny trick I taught my dog."

We understand that there is a temptation to use teaser titles: "Awesome thread, you've got to read". But such titles do not tell your readers what the thread is about. We will be changing thread titles which do not match the content of the thread.

Why is this new system helpful?

1) When people posts links to your thread, they will be able to tell what the thread is about from the key words in the link itself.

2) Users will be better able to find content that they are interested in on the site.

3) It helps the search engines index your thread, which can increase the number of people who might read your thread.

We appreciate your help in making MiceChat easier to navigate and read. If you spot a thread which requires a title change, simply report the first post in the thread and suggest an alternate title.

Sincerely,

The MiceChat Team
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Huh?

Re: User Notice: - Thread Titles and New URL Info - How To - Please Read!

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not liking the new thread URLs... it basically means that I'm more likely to be blocked from viewing a thread based on keywords and, thus, making it that much more difficult for me to join in.

Not your fault. It's just these idiot filters that they put in place everywhere that insist on blocking just about everything! Once, I was blocked on Yahoo! Maps (which they insist on us using) due to a few random letters in the URL! How am I supposed to figure out my mileage for them if the site that they make us use for it won't let us mind out this information?

So, guess a big tip in thread titling -- never include a word that might cause a page from being blocked!
    -Tim

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: User Notice: - Thread Titles and New URL Info - How To - Please Read!

Sorry you don't like the descriptive thread titles FB. But, so far, it has REALLY increased our thread views. So it is definitely working.

It may very well make it difficult for you with your web filters at work, but overall it is a far better thing for MiceChat as a whole than a whole bunch of threads with titles such as "Guess What" or "Read This".
    Last edited by Dustysage; 09-20-2007 at 06:31 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,