Argumenta ad Hominem

MiceChat, and other public forums, can get ugly when people do not speak about the topics of discussion and, instead, talk about other forum users.

I avoid doing so here and in other spheres of my life, but I'm going to make a greater commitment to stopping the practice because it reveals that the person using the ad hominem may not have a legitimate position on a given matter.

These debate fallacies are intended to distract the audience and to discredit one or more of the participants.

MiceChat is a forum for discussion, and, sometimes, people will disagree. But, those disagreements have the potential to lead to constructive debates that provoke thought and a greater understanding. Hopefully, other MiceChat users agree with that sentiment and believe that the level of discourse here, and elsewhere on the Internet, can and should be raised.

The Internet has the potential to be infinitely beneficial, but we have to aspire to better in order to realize that possibility. Staying on the topic at hand is, perhaps, the best way to do so.

• =)

Re: Argumenta ad Hominem

Sounds nice to me...

• I'm not really here

The key is realizing that they believe in their position as much as you believe in yours. All you can do is present your opinions and support them while they do the same. Many times I think the ad hominem appears because 1 party takes the 2nd parties defense of their opinion as an attack on themselves.

It really all comes down to respecting each other and realizing that we are all entitled to our own opinions, no matter how much they differ. There have been a number of times when something someone else has said has caused me to change my opinion mid-debate. It does not mean that my opinion was wrong, just that I was enlightened and saw things in a slightly different way because of something another said. Had I attacked that person, I may not have had the opportunity to see things in a new light.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I have no respect for any of you, and will continue to attack you all at will; I even reserve the right to attack indiscriminately, independent from the forum of debate. That is all.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MiceChat Moderator

We appreciate your help in keeping threads on subject and not attacking members. This is what keeps MiceChat the friendly, interesting place we are. For that reason, these rules our amongst our highest priority to uphold.

And while we try to keep an eye on everything, we would appreciate your help to keep MiceChat a fun, interesting, and thought-provoking site. Please report any post(s) that purposely take a thread off-topic, get antagonistic, or attack fellow members.

Afterall, this is your site, and if we all work together we can keep this site an enjoyable place to be.

Thank you!
    Thank you for helping to make MiceChat a safe and fun place for everyone!