Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Make up a phony "urban legend" about Disneyland

Much has been made of the numerous "hidden Mickeys" throughout Disneyland, but park observers frequently pass right by hundreds of "hidden Minnies" often just steps away. There's even a hidden Pepe Le Pew in Pixie Hollow. Sharp-eyed guests on "it's a small world" can spot the recently added hidden Hannah Montana, lip-syncing the song while playing air guitar. And at the end of the Jungle Cruise, if you look at the headhunters upside-down, you will see that they are hidden Jonas Brothers. In response to written complaints that many of the Mickeys are too well-hidden, the park will introduce a series of "Not-so-Hidden Mickeys" which even a small child could easily pick out. And to bring the park into full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, a special area of "Hidden Mickeys for the Visually Impaired" will be constructed by late 2010, in an office of the Guest Relations Department.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Walt Disney's body is frozen inside the walls of one of the walk-in freezers in the subterranean (not really underground) New Orleans Main Kitchen.

Then, during the recent total remodeling, someone dug in the wrong place and.....
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

Oh... so that explains the "turkey legs."

Most park visitors today remember the decoder cards handed out in the queue for the Indiana Jones attraction, which allowed the guests to while away the hours waiting to get on the ride by deciphering the marks made on the walls of the queue. Few of today's guests remember the debut of Space Mountain in the spring of 1977, which saw lines as long as 5 hours to get on the ride. Sorry, but I'm going to call a ride a ride. Worried about the negative publicity the long wait might cause, park management had copies of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity (1916) printed and handed out by cast members to anyone in line for Space Mountain who wanted a copy. Surprisingly many people were able to finish the entire publication before getting to the loading area, and most could explain how gravity affects dimensions and even calculate the approximate size of the universe when given a pocket calculator. One particularly sharp 8-year-old observed sarcastically before taking her seat, "They should be calling this Space-Time Mountain." Her exhausted father added, "I hope this thing travels faster than the speed of light, then we could erase the last five hours."

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    Food prices at Disneyland are really no higher than they are anywhere else. They just appear that way because of forced perspective.
    Probably the funniest thing ever posted on MiceChat.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

The stone underneath the partners statue is the last thing in Disneyland that Walt touched before he died.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Faerie Godmother

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    Probably the funniest thing ever posted on MiceChat.
    Thank you! Although I've developed a nagging suspicion that I actually got it from somewhere else. Possibly The Liar's Guide to Disneyland.
    Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

•   
    • Seasick

The site that Disneyland is built on used to be a parking lot. Walt Disney's original magic kingdom, DCA, was so popular that Disneyland was built next door to handle the crowds.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

Clever.

Oranges are the unofficial "fruit of Disneyland," not only because Anaheim lies within Orange County, but also because the parks were built on land that was formerly occupied by orange groves. Seeds from decades of fallen oranges lie buried within the soil, and from time to time (usually after spring rains) sprout spontaneously in the less-developed areas of the parks. Park gardeners who spot the seedlings carefully transplant them into pots and then raise them for a year in the park's nursery. After the year, the are offered for free to any cast member (or even administrative employee) who promises to plant them and care for them in their own yard. Quite a few employees have accepted them over the years, and by now many of the plants have grown into mature trees, producing fruit every winter. Thus the famous orange groves that Disneyland replaced live on in a way, though scattered all over southern California rather than being concentrated on one property. Employees sometimes bring bags of these oranges to work, and of course they are highly prized as "original Disneyland oranges." Employees that own these trees may even buy (at cost) a stamp that allows them to stamp the Disneyland logo on the oranges. These are often given out by employees, but selling them is considered blasphemous. As years pass, park gardeners discover fewer and fewer seedlings, in fact only 8 were found in 2009.
    The original concept artwork for the Orange Stinger in Disney's California Adventure included rows of orange trees lining the queue for the ride, with the idea that guests waiting in line could pick and even eat the oranges as part of the overall experience. The hope was that the many oranges being peeled would provide a natural orange scent to the area, although that would have to be replaced with artificial orange flavoring in the summer when no fruit was ripe enough to pick. Paul Pressler famously drew an X in heavy marker over the orange trees during a meeting and said sternly, "Over my dead body." However he did like the idea of the artificial orange scent and ordered that it be sprayed in the air inside the Orange Stinger during each operation of the ride. This was added to the ride but ironically on the day of the final walk-through and sign off, Pressler rode the Orange Stinger and the machinery to provide the spray broke down. It was eventually fixed but not until several days after the opening day of Disney's California Adventure. Pressler fumed about it for a couple of weeks, but did not fire anyone over the malfunction, since there was too much press attention being given to the park at that time, and the new park was already receiving mixed reviews. Michael Eisner advised him to do nothing until the press and media had left. Eventually, Pressler forgot all about the incident - until eighteen months later, when an anonymous employee left a bottle of orange body spray on his desk. Pressler pretended to ignore it, but within 72 hours he had handed in his resignation.

• Minion

If disneyland catches on fire then they have to put it out with their own firefighters from Mainstreet. The city of Anaheim will not provide them with local firefighters since they have their own.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

•   
    • Seasick

Similair to the It's A Small World situation, the Skyway had to be closed as the modern "robust" Disney guests resulted in the Skyway buckets dragging along the ground.

There is a drop in Pirates of the Carribbean in order to allow the boats to travel underground beneath the railway tracks and outside Disneyland's berm. During the ride you actually travel under the Jungle Cruise, under Tower of Terror, eventually going as far south as the Convention center. The journey back to the unload station is beneath Paradise Pier bay. When World of Colour opens, Pirates of the Carribbean will close during show times, as the noise of the pyrotechnics would interfere with the attraction.
    Last edited by BC_DisneyGeek; 09-22-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

When you are going up the lift at the end of Pirates, you see blinking eyes on the left side. There are actually infrared video cameras there, and an employee watching them. If the employee sees that you have taken anything from the show, the lift is stopped as soon as you reach the top, and a cast member comes and confiscates the item from you. No further boats can get on the lift until it is restarted by the cast member.

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

It has been said that the brids from the tiki room do come alive and follow those who did not clap and sing at their show and follow them until the give in
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Minion

The indian inside main street was done for political reasonings as the Native American community felt they had no influence in Disneyland.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyNEWdad View Post
    If disneyland catches on fire then they have to put it out with their own firefighters from Mainstreet. The city of Anaheim will not provide them with local firefighters since they have their own.
    OFF TOPIC - Disneyland seriously does have its own fire department, although I'm sure should a conflagration of any size break out there, the "A-F-D" would be right on top of it, much the same as the relationship between Disneyland Security and the A-P-D.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

Tinkerbell has to ride a Matterhorn Bobsled to the highest point, get out of it there, then climb a ladder while hanging down from it, to get to the top of the inside. There is a specially-designed porta-potty inside the very tip of the Matterhorn, and a telephone with which she can communicate with park management. In August 1987, the fireworks started going off too soon, and Tinkerbell was showered with burning fragments from a firework that exploded just 8 feet above her. She sued the park and the case was settled out of court. Now there is a switch operated by a key that Tinkerbell holds and the fireworks can't start until she lands and turns the key in the switch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast