Page 120 of 134 FirstFirst ... 207095110117118119120121122123130 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 2009

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Re: RCMC# 121: Life is a highway... with friends along for the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    Yeah, they don't get at me for being young anymore (I'm 30), and I'll be a first-generation college grad in 2014 so they can't really say I'm not as intelligent. But we have vastly different paradigms in general. It can get really tense. So I feel you.
    I'm not that much younger (23), and graduated higher education, even if it was culinary school that I regret infinitely attending, and aforementioned school is now being sued in a class action lawsuit for defrauding students, and pretty much the number one reason I went is because they had high pressure sells tactics, and I have problems saying no.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    I'm not that much younger (23), and graduated higher education, even if it was culinary school that I regret infinitely attending, and aforementioned school is now being sued in a class action lawsuit for defrauding students, and pretty much the number one reason I went is because they had high pressure sells tactics, and I have problems saying no.
    Haha @ the saying no thing. Maybe you'll get some cash out of the lawsuit? I only get to go to real college because I am a full-time employee there and they are paying for it, so saying no was never my problem, it was finding the money to say yes! Now law school will be an entirely different matter as far as money goes...I still have no idea where that is gonna come from, but I refuse to let that stop me.

Why do you regret culinary school?

---------- Post added 11-08-2012 at 04:05 AM ----------

(I am so brain-fried from too much French...OK, only 1 page left to write...)

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Why do you regret culinary school?
    Simplest way to put it, I didn't know what to expect working in restaurants, and the school did not accurately prepare for it. Cooking in restaurants is incredibly high stress, and the pay isn't worth it (usually near minimum wage), and there are rarely any benefits. It's just too high stress, I don't actually enjoy the work (I enjoy cooking, but I can't really explain it), and the pay isn't worth it.

---------- Post added 11-08-2012 at 05:25 AM ----------

For the longest time, I wanted to teach. Then I discovered I love cooking so I wasn't sure, and I toured the Culinary School first and I can't say no. Now I work with adults with developmental disabilities (I do their cooking among other duties), and I would like to go back to school, but I'm not sure for what. Was going to do nursing, but things fell through, and now I have concerns.

I've thought of going in for teaching, nursing, accounting (I love numbers), hell I've even thought about writing. Can't really decide. (As for the writing, I have some ideas, but when I set out to write, I'm self conscience about what I write, so submitting my short stories makes me quite anxious. The only one I have submitted, and that I've heard back about was turned down. I had a thought that if vampires where real, they would in all reality want civil rights, so it was a story based on vampire civil rights. I thought I was all creative until I googled vampire civil rights and discovered True Blood had done such things. I could swear I googled it before writing, but I guess not.)

But here's the thing, although I do regret the school, I try not to be bitter about it. All my life experiences add up to make me who I am today, and I like me.
    Last edited by DarthDucky; 11-08-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Simplest way to put it, I didn't know what to expect working in restaurants, and the school did not accurately prepare for it. Cooking in restaurants is incredibly high stress, and the pay isn't worth it (usually near minimum wage), and there are rarely any benefits. It's just too high stress, I don't actually enjoy the work (I enjoy cooking, but I can't really explain it), and the pay isn't worth it.
    Oh no, I get it. I've worked in food service for 8 years. I know what goes on in the kitchen and I'm not sure you could pay me enough. I mean, sure, as a manager you can pay the bills, but the 10+ hour days doing that kind of work...not for me.

I wonder if any school prepares you for the real world though...?

As a side note, if you could land a cushy college job like the ones at my work you get all the perks of being a college employee, free food, regular breaks, better pay than I'm making, full benefits, sick/vacation pay. and you get to cook to boot...thats what you should look for. I know some of the cooks at the college I work at started as dishwashers, so any kind of culinary experience is highly favored around there and would probably start you off at a solid wage.

---------- Post added 11-08-2012 at 04:37 AM ----------

For the longest time, I wanted to teach. Then I discovered I love cooking so I wasn't sure, and I toured the Culinary School first and I can't say no. Now I work with adults with developmental disabilities (do their cooking), and I would like to go back to school, but I'm not sure for what. Was going to do nursing, but things fell through, and now I have concerns.

I've thought of going in for teaching, nursing, accounting (I love numbers), hell I've even thought about writing. Can't really decide. (As for the writing, I have some ideas, but when I set out to write, I'm self conscience about what I write, so submitting my short stories makes me quite anxious. The only one I have submitted, and that I've heard back about was turned down. I had a thought that if vampires where real, they would in all reality want civil rights, so it was a story based on vampire civil rights. I thought I was all creative until I googled vampire civil rights and discovered True Blood had done such things. I could swear I googled it before writing, but I guess not.)

But here's the thing, although I do regret the school, I try not to be bitter about it. All my life experiences add up to make me who I am today, and I like me.
    Good for you...and you are still so young! Don't limit yourself. I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that if I don't take a year off between undergrad and law school, I'll be 35 years old when I start my actual career O.o But hey, its a start, and yeah I wasted a lot of time in community college pursuing a degree I didn't end up going for, but I wouldn't trade the experiences I had there for anything in the world. So yeah.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

One of the many reasons I love the internet. Primary reason of course being easily readily available information. Second of course being the random fun crap.
    Just got done listening to Haddaway's "What is Love?" played on a music box.

Just look at my avatar, Beavis and Butthead meet My Little Pony? Only on the internet.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

For the longest time, I wanted to teach. Then I discovered I love cooking so I wasn't sure, and I toured the Culinary School first and I can't say no. Now I work with adults with developmental disabilities (I do their cooking among other duties), and I would like to go back to school, but I'm not sure for what. Was going to do nursing, but things fell through, and now I have concerns.

And that right there, is a most important thing. If you are comfortable with yourself, sooner or later the rest will fall into place.

And I would love to address more but as usual I'm behind and have to get ready to go to work.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Morning Pengy!

I think the worst part about pulling an all-nighter is that I completely lose track of what day it is. That and the no sleeping thing.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I think the worst part about pulling an all-nighter is that I completely lose track of what day it is. That and the no sleeping thing.
    I know how that is, I work Graveyard. Example: During my shift starting tomorrow, I could be telling my coworker something like, "I was at the comicbook store yesterday, and the owner called his son a *******." Then I realize it's after midnight. "I mean Wednesday, John called his 6 year old a *******." Not an interesting story, but it would be an example (and truthful).

Edit: Didn't think that word would be blocked. It's the word for illegitimate children, or just someone one's not fond of.

Haha. Yeah, exactly! I have an ok grasp of "yesterday" but there is no "tomorrow" in my head. Its just "Friday".

I have now been up over 24 hours. Only 13 hours to go and I get to sleep!

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

My coworker's going to college, and currently she's taking an English class. Wanna know what she gets to read? "Watchmen". I know "Watchmen" is actually common ready in English classes, but I still can't wrap my head around the fact that a 12 issue comic book series is required reading

---------- Post added 11-08-2012 at 08:15 AM ----------

And I just found out Angry Birds Star Wars is a real thing.

Um... that sounds like two mind-blowing experiences.

I took "Literature of the Supernatural" for my English requirement. That was fun. We read ghost stories for a semester.

Still trying to wrap my head around Angry Birds Star Wars...what is there a Han Solo bird??

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

mmmm...all I get is sound and no video =(