Page 24 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627344974124 ... LastLast

• sleepy lagoon

Re: RCMC# 121: Life is a highway... with friends along for the ride!

First off let me just say, you know I love you guys when I log onto MC and post from my phone... Cuz it's no easy task. Makes one want to lash out irrationality. But I'm nothing if not deternmined, lol.

And secondly, I absolutely agree with your assessment of our college and university system, Rob.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by my7dwarves View Post
    Ugh Jody. I am sorry for your daughter. So stupid! Has she tried a private school? You don't need a credential for most... Or maybe tutoring? They make bucks.
    I've tried to talk her into looking into tutoring... but she doesn't have enough confidence in herself. She's an art major.... she doen't think she'd be able to tutor stuff like English or math.

Not sure if there are private schools up there, but it would be something to look into.

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I'm beginning to believe that our college system is one of the more evil things in modern society.

Like a lot of things, it started out well, but soon enough, power and greed took over, and we now have a system that's very expensive but doesn't always work for the best interest of the people who have to deal with it.

Ok, rant over.....
    When she first started talking about going to school to teach I told her she was out of her mind. But I also told her she had to do what her heart told her to do and I wasn't going to try to talk her out of it and then 10-15 years down the road have her resent me because I made her do something different. And besides, she didn't want to work retail for the rest of her life and thought she needed a higher education to get away from that.

Now I think she's disillusioned to her career of choice... but she's kinda trapped now. She's even considering going back to Target, which is where she was working when she figured out she didn't want to do that anymore... but not sure if Target would even hire her since she has an actual degree now.

Maybe if she had stayed at Disneyland she could be working at TDA by now.... :

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 09:27 PM ----------

First off let me just say, you know I love you guys when I log onto MC and post from my phone... Cuz it's no easy task. Makes one want to lash out irrationality. But I'm nothing if not deternmined, lol.

And secondly, I absolutely agree with your assessment of our college and university system, Rob.
    We appreciate your sacrifice!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• sleepy lagoon

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I've tried to talk her into looking into tutoring... but she doesn't have enough confidence in herself. She's an art major.... she doen't think she'd be able to tutor stuff like English or math.

Not sure if there are private schools up there, but it would be something to look into.

When she first started talking about going to school to teach I told her she was out of her mind. But I also told her she had to do what her heart told her to do and I wasn't going to try to talk her out of it and then 10-15 years down the road have her resent me because I made her do something different. And besides, she didn't want to work retail for the rest of her life and thought she needed a higher education to get away from that.

Now I think she's disillusioned to her career of choice... but she's kinda trapped now. She's even considering going back to Target, which is where she was working when she figured out she didn't want to do that anymore... but not sure if Target would even hire her since she has an actual degree now.

Maybe if she had stayed at Disneyland she could be working at TDA by now.... :

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 09:27 PM ----------

We appreciate your sacrifice!
    She's just gotta apply everywhere. Private schools are really the way to go if you want to teach in this state anyway. They pay better and have more job security generally speaking.

She may want to try back at Target and Disney, lol. Having a degree opens up more options sometimes, even when others are closed because of it. You never know....

You gotta get creative.

No pun intended for your art major daughter....

And thank you for appreciating my sacrifice. I am willing to take one for the team!

• world class bilge rat

Ok you guys, I'm getting tired.....again.......

This'll be my last post for a while, Monday I go back to Tacoma for 2 or 3 weeks (I hope), then I'll likely have to go back one more time, then the plant will be done.

See y'all later!

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Well Disney is out because she and her husband never again want to live in the OC or San Diego Co. At least not in any part of either county that has more than.... 1000 people. They are over living in a BIG city with traffic and tons of people.

Of course... there are no jobs in small places...

Well... we'll see what happens.... Clints dad works part time for the public transit company here in town. He said they might be hiring someday and they actually pay better than what Clint is getting now.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• sleepy lagoon

What does Clint do?

And boy, I understand not wanting to live where it's crowded! People make me crazy around here.... of course most of them live in my house, but.... lol.

I often think I gotta get out of here.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Right now what he is doing is working with developmentally delayed adults...kinda like the special ed kids I work with but older. But he really wants to get out of that field. Hes done it for a number of years, even has management level experience but it doesn't pay well and has crappy bennies. When he got out of high school he went to some trade school in Arizona for technology/computer stuff, but he only has the equivalent of an AA degree and you can't find jobs in that field unless you have a BA for the most part.

At this point he's willing to do just about anything that pays decent and has decent bennies so they can start paying off some of the debt they have. He's even looked at Utah and Colorado I think... they just want out of where they are because they are also sick of having a roommate... but can't afford to live without one.

• sleepy lagoon

Ah.... the roommate.... I remember all the stories I heard! lol.

Yes, they need out.

It is so difficult to make ends meet. I know all too well....

What is worse is that you want to end up in a field that you enjoy, but when you're desperate you take anything and then get stuck.... Vicious cycle.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Ah.... the roommate.... I remember all the stories I heard! lol.

Yes, they need out.

It is so difficult to make ends meet. I know all too well....

What is worse is that you want to end up in a field that you enjoy, but when you're desperate you take anything and then get stuck.... Vicious cycle.
    Indeed... life is full of those paths not taken that could of lead somewhere different... but, how do you know? You go down one trail thinking it will lead to a golden field full of beautiful flowers and what you find is thorns and rocks... if only you'd turned left back a mile or two ago...

But all you can do is try to keep pushing forward and hope you get past the thorns and rocks and actually find some of those flowers someday.

• Goofy

hi my 7dwarves and hello penguinsoda

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 10:34 PM ----------

1) You mock me. But really you should be making me a sandwich. I might just waste away and then you will feel bad..... you know... probably....

2) My mom's a/c is broken and she was saying she wished she knew someone who could fix it. Of course I thought of you....cuz I'm pretty sure there is nothing you can't do.

---------- Post added 08-12-2012 at 08:37 PM ----------

Hi Rex!

Our a/c is working; you are welcome over here to watch the closing ceremonies of the Olympics. I hear it in the other room... sounds kinda weird....
    thanks for the invite how have you been? i can't believe the olympics is already over

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Hey Rex!

I think I have not only approached brain fry, but run smack dab through the middle of it with that last post. I think that means I'd better nanner on down the road!

• Goofy

i am heading out as well penguinsoda. so nanners guys

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

How nice to read an actual conversation that took place here in the RCMC last night. Of course, it was something of which I know nothing about having not went to college or had a paying job for over 46 years.

It is raining here this morning, so I can forget about getting any more yardwork done today. Instead, I will spend my Monday in the kitchen cooking chili, and other things. Perhaps some chicken and rice.

My husband hates crowds, and is not really a people person. He leaves way too early in the morning to avoid as many cars as he can on the highway.

Happy Monday.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Yup... its Monday. I so do NOT want to go to jury duty... if I have to go I would rather it be early and get it done with. Not that even going early would mean I would get out of there any quicker. Last time I sat there for HOURS and in the end the judge sent us all home because they plea bargined or something and it ended up not going to trial.

At least since I don't have to be there until afternoon I should only be stuck there until 5... hopefully. But since its will be a short day today that might mean I will have to come back tomorrow.

Joy.

• Grim Grinning

Jury duty bites the big one, I'm sorry! I've been sent papers for it several times, but only had to go in once. I sat there from 7am to 5 something at night and never got called for anything. But I WAS treated to some of the finest movies of the last decade while I waited. Cheaper By the Dozen (don't mind that one so much), RV, and Tooth Fairy, the one with The Rock. I wanted to cry lol.